Witchspace wake?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Bringer of torture
Above Average
Above Average

Witchspace wake?

Post by Bringer of torture »

On approach to a station I spotted a small blue disk in the distance and being curious I investigated. It got larger as I approached and when I passed through it I was witchspaced to another planet 2.4 light years away. Is this the wake of a ship that has recently witchspaced and caught my ship up in it?
"There are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics" W.T Sherman
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Yes.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

As seen in Status Quo.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Known as wormholes
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Jakob Kramer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jakob Kramer »

I was once in a dogfight with an Asp. Suddenly the Asp chickened out and made a witchspace jump. I was so close that I was caught in the wake and followed the Asp to another system. In this system I quickly located the Asp and continued my attack. They pleaded for their lives (very nice detail by the way), but to no avail.

I like the idea of being able to follow other ships through jumps (even when you do not have enough fuel to make a similar jump yourself). Should an enemy ship be equipped with capacity to jump further than 7 LY this could even save any pilots caught at Oresrati, the planet at the end of the universe.
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

I recently triggered the Nova mission, but I followed a behemoth out of the system down its own wormhole.
Arriving at another system, all the ships start to leave again, and I follow down another wormhole.

Repeat above steps several times, until I decide to play fair and do the mission properly.
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

hmm that is interesting.

We broke a mission, making things more realistic. :lol:
Riding the Rocket!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

But in the end in the planetinfo it will be the first system (where you started the chain) will be the one which was destroyed by the nova, not the one where you finally took the refugees.
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

The nova is in the system where I go to the space station. But that could be after several systems of witchspace 'hitching'.
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Interesting. That was different when I did the "follow the other ships through several systems"-thing.
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

Jakob Kramer wrote:
I like the idea of being able to follow other ships through jumps (even when you do not have enough fuel to make a similar jump yourself). Should an enemy ship be equipped with capacity to jump further than 7 LY this could even save any pilots caught at Oresrati, the planet at the end of the universe.
Come to think of it, what would stop two ships breaking the 7ly barrier by hitching a life through each other's wake. to get to a system (say) 12 ly away? If the first ship makes a 6ly jump into "open" space only to be followed through the wormhole by a second ship, the latter could then make a second jump to the final destination, allowing the first ship to piggy back though the second wormhole.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The complex mathematics and physics of witchspace intertube generation (which I do not have the time or space to relate here) do not allow for witchspace jumps to arbitrary locations. The target of a jump must be near a sufficiently large mass – such as a star – and must be marked by a large and complex network of equipment arranged quite some distance from said large mass. The witchspace beacon, incidentally, is not part of this equipment, it merely marks the “termination focus” produced by their arrangement.

Ending up in interstellar space is only possible by means of an “unravelled” intertube between two planetary systems.