Annoying bug - ghosts back from the dead

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Jakob Kramer wrote:
An idea: Is it possible to make the visibility of ships etc. editable? That is, make a slider or something that enables players to set just how visible the ships, exhaust etc. should appear? This would be sort of a "gamma correction within the game".
Possible, yes, but not likely to happen in 1.69 or 1.70.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

With a simple OXP tweak in the planetinfo, it is possible to set the ambient light higher.

So would visibility enhancement IYO consist of scaling shipsizes?
(while somehow increasing laser offset/deviation to correct for lowered tohit difficulty)
Riding the Rocket!
Jakob Kramer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jakob Kramer »

I'm not sure whether this question was aimed at me, but I don't think scaling the ships will do the trick. Right now I'm almost on top of the ships before they become visible enough for me to notice them. A guess is a distance of approx. 5-10 km.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Are you using a CRT monitor or an LCD flatscreen, there is a significant difference.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Jakob Kramer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jakob Kramer »

I'm using CRT, so the brightness should be OK.

I am on the other hand sitting in a room with a rather large window, so the light from this window competes with the light from the screen. I tested this yesterday evening, and when it's dark (or at least not as bright) outside the ships etc. are much more visible (even without gamma correction).

In some ways this is actually good - I'm not tempted to play Oolite during the day... when I'm really supposed to be working ;)
Last edited by Jakob Kramer on Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Being an old codger now and having to use glasses all the time, I have found that the LCD screen is far superior for brightness and visibility colour etc. particularly during the daytime. When I used to use a CRT monitor I had to turn the room lights off and virtually use the keyboard by "feel" to be able to play, that was untill I acquired a USB LED on a bendy rod that I could use to illuminate the keyboard and not affect the screen.
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Or get yourself a MacBook Pro with illuminated keyboard. That helps a lot! :wink:

:D :D :D
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Hey! you got a light Mac!