Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Advanced Navigation Array...?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

pescenaufrago
Above Average
Above Average

Advanced Navigation Array...?

Post by pescenaufrago »

Hello!
I buyed the advanced navigation array, but I can't understand how to use it, where it is, and his scope...

Can anyone help me? :)

Tx
Marco
United Blobs
Competent
Competent

Post by United Blobs »

Once you've bought it go to the Galactic Chart (F6 twice). Select your destination and then press ! (shift+1) and the path to your destination will appear.
pescenaufrago
Above Average
Above Average

Post by pescenaufrago »

United Blobs wrote:
Once you've bought it go to the Galactic Chart (F6 twice). Select your destination and then press ! (shift+1) and the path to your destination will appear.
WHOA!
Thank U :)
Killer Instinct
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Killer Instinct »

Where can I buy it :?:
It's a fine line between clever and stupid
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

If you have v. 1.67.1 onwards for the Mac or 1.68 for the PC then it should appear at stations of tech level 7(?) and upwards for sale.
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
Killer Instinct
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Killer Instinct »

Cheers thanks for the pointer! I've now got 1.68 installed.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid
zeep
Competent
Competent

Post by zeep »

I don't have this yet but whats the use of it?
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

@ Zeep.
United Blobs wrote:
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
zeep
Competent
Competent

Post by zeep »

Uncle Reno wrote:
@ Zeep.
United Blobs wrote:
I understood that but what i was wondering is what the use is of that. Do i then see a line drawn in the Galactic Chart from one point to another? Is that all? ;)
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

It shows all the jumps you need to make to reach the targeted planet. Normally this is not of much help, but some planets can only be reached by odd round-abount routes. You don't really need it, but it can be handy. Mission OXPs often send you off to systems that may not be straightforward to get to. This device just shows the quickest way to get there.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

In addition to being able to figure out the minimum number of jumps required to travel to any place, you get the names of all the planets that you need to make stops at plus the overall galaxy connectivity diagram overlayed. Also, you can immediately tell if a destination is actually reachable, as no route will be displayed if there is no way to get there.

The usefulness of it? Well, as LittleBear said, it is not a necessary piece of equipment, but you will immediately appreciate it the first time you will have to spend ages to get to a planet through a multi-jump route, only to find out that your last jump is actually 7.2ly away and the only way to reach the destination is to go back 5 or 6 planets and take another junction on the map (actually, that was the very reason behind its creation).
zeep
Competent
Competent

Post by zeep »

Thanks for the rundown. Indeed the last example has happened to me (on MSX Elite) more than once. I'll probably get it ;)