Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Next Mission ?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lycanthrope
Above Average
Above Average

Next Mission ?

Post by Lycanthrope »

OK, just blew the Constrictor out of the sky, boy that felt good.

As I am still in Galaxy 2 is there any recommendations to what mission to choose next ?
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

Team Zorg are Go!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

In Galaxy 2 Ionics is the mission of choice for you.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I second that, Ionics is a good choice.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Lycanthrope
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Lycanthrope »

Thanks for the advice, just nailed the Ionics Funnelweb

:D
Lycanthrope
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Lycanthrope »

Ok, took out the last whitetail lastnight. Bit of an anticlimax at the end, but hey the whole mission did tune up my skills a bit, and upped my kills.

A big thanks to the author. :D

Further recommendations required, ie stay in Galaxy 2 or move on :?:
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Galaxy 3 and the "Thargoid Plans" I'd say!

Then 4 for Nova, Lovecats and Deposed. :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
hircus
Competent
Competent

Post by hircus »

Restarting an old thread here: apart from stumbling into it, or reading the Wiki, is there a way for users to get the hint that they need to go to Galaxy 3 to get to the next mission (Thargoid Plans)?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

hircus wrote:
Restarting an old thread here: apart from stumbling into it, or reading the Wiki, is there a way for users to get the hint that they need to go to Galaxy 3 to get to the next mission (Thargoid Plans)?
No, and why should it?

Missions are (in my humble opinion) like easter-eggs in the game. If you're just playing it without any additional information the only way to get a mission is to accidentally find, or - as you so beautifully put it - stumble into it. If you want to plan your mission career, please refer to the documentation (read: wiki).

That's by the way exactly my experience with Elite. I played Elite from some Gold-Collection for the C64, which had only very rudimentary documentation. So I had no idea that something like missions existed at all. Therefore I was taken completely by surprise when after a long while of playing suddenly - without any prior warning - my very first mission screen popped up (it was the Constrictor hunt). Never had I expected something like this! I had done a lot of trading, planet-hopping, bounty hunting, pirating, etc. I really thought I had seen it all. And with one little docking, all out of a sudden, the game was taken to a completely new level. Missions! Something never seen before. I still remember just how excited I was.

So, when I had hunted down the Constrictor I started to visit every planet in Galaxy 2, because I was so afraid I could miss another mission, if I didn't get to the right place. Sadly for me the next one was waiting only in Galaxy 3...
hircus
Competent
Competent

Post by hircus »

Commander McLane wrote:
That's by the way exactly my experience with Elite. I played Elite from some Gold-Collection for the C64, which had only very rudimentary documentation. So I had no idea that something like missions existed at all. Therefore I was taken completely by surprise when after a long while of playing suddenly - without any prior warning - my very first mission screen popped up (it was the Constrictor hunt). Never had I expected something like this! I had done a lot of trading, planet-hopping, bounty hunting, pirating, etc. I really thought I had seen it all. And with one little docking, all out of a sudden, the game was taken to a completely new level. Missions! Something never seen before. I still remember just how excited I was.
Ah, thanks. I missed out on the original Elite series, and with all the mission-oriented OXPs, where the parameters of the missions are necessarily made more explicit, I was wondering why the same is not true of the built-in missions (there's the Trumbles mission that every old-timer is coy about, but in that case it's essential -- one would not want to spoil the surprise!)