Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Looking for a ship...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Magus Zeal
Above Average
Above Average

Looking for a ship...

Post by Magus Zeal »

Effectively, I'm looking for a combat ship to aid in tracking and hunting down offenders/fugitives/etc. I was originally using the Supercobra but got a bunch of OXPs, and found the Kestrel (now using Merlin since it has more cargo space).

The things I'm looking for in a ship are these, from most to least important.
*Firepower (not sure how to measure this, multiple weapon mount points, perhaps -- I first looked to a Rattle Cutter after having my Supercobra shot out under me in a few seconds)
*Manueverability/speed: Need to be able to catch and keep up with the perps.
*Defense: This is low on the list since I have the Cloaking Device. Shield Boosters are pretty much required, Military Shield Boosters are preferred but not necessary.
*Cargo space: Don't need much, at least 10-20 tons of hold, more is nice but not necessary. Just enough to hold what cargo is dropped by the pirates as well as capturing escape pods of pirates and rescuing friendlies.

So with this information, anyone have any ideas on ships? Either in the original or an OXP, and I already have a wide variety of OXPs installed, so if there's one in there, chances are I already have it. Specific information, such as galaxy/system where it's located as well as the OXP.

Money is also not a concern, as I've accumulated around 1M in wealth and my craft will trade in for around 600K-800K.

Many thanks in advance!
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

if i may pimp myself, try a Vampire MkII. the Purgatori is a standard model, the Reaper is slightly tweaked specifically for bounty hunting.

http://www.purgatori.net/Isis_Interstellar.htm

is the Rattle Cutter available for players? i thought multi-gunned ship were NPS only :-/
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Yep, I am no ship designer, but having followed the discussions here in the bb for quite some time I remember that for some technical reason player-ships cannot have multiple laser mounts.

Personally I am flying an Imperial Courier and am VERY satisfied with. For me it's a very good multi-purpose ship and has even a huge cargo capacity.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Commander McLane wrote:
Personally I am flying an Imperial Courier and am VERY satisfied with. For me it's a very good multi-purpose ship and has even a huge cargo capacity.
The Wolf Mk. II is a good goer. It's not as Uber as a SuperCobra or the Benulobiweed ships but it has a respectable speed, energy level and pitch/roll for combat. It also has a fair cargo space.

Captain Hesperus
"This has been an advertisment by the Wolf Mk. II Appreciation Society."
Magus Zeal
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Magus Zeal »

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Killer Wolf: After I had an encounter with one and finding myself sucking vacuum in about 3 seconds, I was floored. I immediately scoured the Wiki trying to find information, but sadly was disappointed to learn that it was non-player only. The firepower it puts out is just outright vile. Hence why if I see one with a rating of 'Offender' or 'Fugitive', I make it my first priority. E-Bomb if there's nothing neutral/friendly nearby.

Has anyone ever developed any further main weaponry? The only weapons I know of are the Twin Plasma Cannon (hah, saw it being used on a Fugitive Merlin -- quite amusing), Beam Laser, Pulse Laser, Mining Laser, and Military Laser. Anyone developed anything different? I read not too long ago that cooling was hard-coded into the EXE and therefore could not be altered.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Magus Zeal wrote:
I read not too long ago that cooling was hard-coded into the EXE and therefore could not be altered.
No it's not and yes it can via an OXP.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
The Wolf Mk. II is a good goer. It's not as Uber as a SuperCobra or the Benulobiweed ships but it has a respectable speed, energy level and pitch/roll for combat. It also has a fair cargo space.
Yup, Wolf Mk II would be my favourite as well... Although I use Wolf Mk I at the moment (see my avatar) - smaller and less efficient than Mk II, but one has to test drive one's creations before publishing them...
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
lurak
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by lurak »

How about a Python ET Special, or a Rattle Cutter [I know the Rattler is not _technically_ available to the user, but there are certain ways around that :) ]
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

lurak wrote:
How about a Python ET Special, or a Rattle Cutter [I know the Rattler is not _technically_ available to the user, but there are certain ways around that :) ]
Yeah, I like the ET Special, maybe it's cause you can actually fit Military shields, a novelty for a career Python trader. But the Rattler, well, it's only really good as an NPC, what with all the guns an' all.

P.S. welcome to the community, lurak!

Captain Hesperus
"Rattle Cutter! Stepan, hit the Injectors and hope we don't lose our asses before we lose him!"
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

I've just gone from Mosquito Trader to Wolf II, as I figured it would be better for the Assassin missions. I get the feeling other ships are finding me harder to hit, which is certainly handy in battle.
Lycanthrope
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Lycanthrope »

Quick question, maybe silly, but I'm still on a learning curve:

If you get an OXP ship, do you still have to keep the relevant OXP in the addins folder.

Edit, found the answer in wiki, should have looked there first. :oops: