Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Missiles - WTF!?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Missiles - WTF!?

Post by Callas »

Okay, what gives?

I'm in a Python.

Front shield prolly at about 20% or so.

Someone chucks a missile at me.

I've got SEVEN energy banks, all full -

and POW I'M DEAD.

WTF!?!?!!!

First time I thought - well okay, maybe I accidentally rammed the guy.

But it's happened three times now.

Single missiles appear to utterly destroy my ships.

This seems to me to be WAY too powerful. All you need to do is fly close to someone, throw a missile and kerrrrrrrpow - they're dead. Nothing they can do about it at ALL - no time for ECM to work.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

He He!

When a ship is close you have to fire ECM as a precaution, before the ship can launch. :wink:

In original Elite you could just survive a missile at full shield, so at 20% you've no chance.

Energy banks provide minimal protection compared to the shield itself. A Cobra III with a Military Shield (and 4 energy banks) takes much more punishment than a Python (cannot carry a military shield). Its the strength of your shields rather than the banks powering them that is the major factor.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

There are two upgrades you can get for shields, and well worth it. Some missions would be almost impossible to complete without maximum protection.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Callas »

LittleBear wrote:
In original Elite you could just survive a missile at full shield, so at 20% you've no chance.
On the Spectrum 48k original Elite, a single missle hit took out one full energy bank or one full shield. Which is why Oolite surprised me so!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

:lol: Girly Spectrum players!

On the BBC B it was Game Over unless you had a 100% shield and full energy banks!

That said. Oolite does have Shield Boosters and Military Shields, which help a lot. These extra shields can however only be fitted to the more Combat orinatated ships.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

LittleBear wrote:
:lol: Girly Spectrum players!

On the BBC B it was Game Over unless you had a 100% shield and full energy banks!

That said. Oolite does have Shield Boosters and Military Shields, which help a lot. These extra shields can however only be fitted to the more Combat orientated ships.
Apple ][ Elite missiles were hard too. Even with full shields, full energy etc., without an ECM you were bugfood.

Captain Hesperus
BTBC
Above Average
Above Average

Post by BTBC »

Is it because you are getting hit on the front because I think you suffer more damage with a head on crash than if you are moving away from the missile when it hits you.
Cos
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cos »

Ok here's a question then, if we look at combat ships that can take all the shield enhancements, is there any particular ship that is stronger than the rest, or are they all the same once the upgrades are installed?

8) 8)

Cos
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

No. The only difference is that in the first case your forward shields will protect you (or fail to do so), whereas in the second case it will be your aft shields.