Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Trading in illegal goods, government types, criminal status

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Trading in illegal goods, government types, criminal status

Post by Callas »

I occasionally trade in Narcotics.

When I can buy at 4.4 and sell at >100, it's a no brainer.

Of course, this affects my criminal status.

Normally, I trade between highly stable Governments, so I don't need to worry about pirates (going Corporate State to a Confederacy).

It struck me that if, instead, I trade between highly unstable Governments - a Feudal to a Multi-Government - then I ought to be able to trade more easily in illegal goods.

As far as I can tell, though, it makes bugger all difference!

I still get fined just as before, my criminal status changes just as before, etc.

I think the degree of consequence from trading in illegals should vary by the Government type you buy from and sell to; and that the degree of consequence of being criminal should vary by the Government type of the station you dock in.

If you're in an Anarchy, I don't see GalCorp should be fining you 1750 credits for trading in Narcotics.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Galcop is not directly related to the governments of individual planets.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Good to see that your manners are shaping up. Keep it up and I'll bury the warheads :wink:

As for the behaviour of anarchic systems, you should take a look at the topic "Anarchies.oxp (v 0.1)". Hope you like these future developments.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The general idea of trading is that you are not trading directly between planets and their differing governments, but between the stations. And all of those are run by GalCop, who are also responsible for keeping track of your legal record.

So it's correct, the government type makes no difference to the illicity of commodities or the legal consequences of trading, because as far as trading is concerned you have only one partner: GalCop.

(And also Anarchies.oxp can't change this basic game behaviour. So e.g. even in an anarchy system the main station won't allow you to dock with your computers if you are a fugitive, because it's not the anarchists who run the station, but GalCop.)