Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Assassins Guild OXP - Beta

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

HueijRevisited
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by HueijRevisited »

Man, for someone who is supposed to have a break from OXP-ing, you sure are busy! :) Whoda thunk of good old text-adventures? I'm really looking forward to this...
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Check the "Moving around Stations" thread in Suggestion Box!

Got re-activated by Captain H's F&F style contriubtions to the idea of being able to explore a station on foot. So rewriting Assassins to incorperate this and Griff's amazing Balrog. Wanted to go with a bang!

Final Assassins.oxp will have 20 missions!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

As a matter of interest, will I have to start a new commander to play the final version of assassins.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Not unless you want to. The readme tells you how to edit your save file (its just changing two numbers), to reset the OXP back to the stage where the new stuff is added.

The balrog is finished, the first new mission is done. Just got the first page of the text adventure to come up in game. :)
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Ok thanks, I'll have a go later, when you have it finaly, finaly finalised and finished. :wink:
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Nearly there!

The Rebel Outpost and the Script to pace it is done.
The Script to send the Navy after you is done.
The Navy's new weapons work.

Text Adventure is now working in game.

This was a real "whoreson beatle flap nave" to script, but can now move around the Rebel Outpost. ATM using normal mission text, in the released version Ramons background location pics will be in the background to the text describing the location:-

Last edited by LittleBear on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Seeing that makes me all trembly..

Captain Hesperus
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

@ Captain H.

Was worried that the descriptions would be too long to fit on the screen (and with nearly 80 commands to deal with displaying the pages and then acting on the, I didn't want to have to use page1a sub-set of commands with yet another variable:roll: Managing 23 was bad enough!), but in fact quite a few have space for more detail. So if you fancy adding some more descriptive text to the existing "pages" of the FF "book" send me over a PM!

Could fit in:-

page 2 - 1 paragraph.
page 3 - 2 paragraphs.
page 4 - couple of lines.
page 5 - 2 paragraphs.
page 9 - 1 paragraph.
Gareth3377
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Gareth3377 »

This is just fantastic - part of me wants to help out with some paragraphs, part of me doesn't want to spoil it when I get to that point in the game.

I can supply some descriptive passages from the sci-fi ff books to give inspiration - Rings of Kether would be a good source, as would Rebel Planet.

Oolite is starting to become a way of life - real life must come first! Lol
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I've just wet myself

well nearly!!!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Text Adventure fully finished, with bigger location descriptions. (Cheers Captain H). A lot of PMing whent on in writing the "pages" of the book with the Cap! :wink:

Its a small "game book" by FF standards, but there are 22 locations to explore, 2 objects to collect and a few puzzels to solve. Enemies may be encounted (is the Outpost as deserted as we were lead to belive?). Just as well you thought to sling an Ingram Laser Rifile over your shoulder before you left your ship!

Now have 21 missions for Assassins, the text adventure is one mission!

Still to do:-

Code Gravition Missile.
Rewrite Brief Asking you do destroy the deathburger with brief asking you to destroy the dreadnaught.
Code to destroy the Rebel Outpost once you leave.
Small changes to the battle code to put the Dreadnaught there instead of the Deathburger standin.
Final Playtest!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

LittleBear wrote:
Code to destroy the Rebel Outpost once you leave.
That bit should be easy, as there is the blowUpStation-method (see Nova mission).
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Think that would blow up the Main Station rather than the OXP extra station. But I think I know how to do it. The Outpost is in a asteroid field, so I add a like_shiped special asteroid as the player launches having solved the Text Adventure. The Outposts AI has a scan for ship with role: special asteroid, found = set state to Explode. (Copy in Explode from missile AI).
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Frayed knot - searching for .png returns "phrase not found"
Lolwhites, try starting Oolite from a console window. When the game starts it will print debug messages to this window and the cause of the problem should reveal itself.

Also have you tried searching for .PNG?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Finished the re-write!

Before I release it though, I need to do a search and replace of the .dat files, to squash the case-sensitivety bug.

As I've added 5 new missions, I better also give it a final playtest flying a Cobra III to make sure I haven't made it too hard for Commanders in non-uber ships!

I'll post a V1 here over the weekend!