Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Opening menu. Ships zoom in too much.

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

zeep
Competent
Competent

Opening menu. Ships zoom in too much.

Post by zeep »

I have the latest Oolite for pc installed together with the oolite-1.65-tp6.exe (textured planets). When i start Oolite and get the intro where the ships zoom in, initially they all zoom in too much for a fraction of a second, then get 'reset' to the correct zoom distance.

Is this a bug or is it just me?
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

i think it's a bug. happens to me too.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Could be your graphics card perhaps, but I'm guessing.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

It’s a known bug, but not really a priority, unless they start smashing your screen.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Until this can be solved properly, a quick and dirty hack that seems to solve the problem, is to set the "incoming object" speed to 95% of the original value, like this:

Method: update : (double) delta_t, file Universe.m, at the end of case DEMO_FLY_OUT:

Code: Select all

[[demo_ship getAI] setStateMachine:@"nullAI.plist"];
								[demo_ship setQRotation:q2];
								[demo_ship setPosition: 0.0f : 0.0f : 360.0f * demo_ship->actual_radius];
								[demo_ship setDestination: make_vector( 0.0f, 0.0f, 3.6f * demo_ship->actual_radius)];	// ideal position
								// HACK! HACK! Fixxer me properly! Set incoming velocity to 95% of original to avoid ship running off screen.
								//vel.x = 0.0;	vel.y = 0.0;	vel.z = -360.0f * demo_ship->actual_radius;
								vel.x = 0.0;	vel.y = 0.0;	vel.z = -3.6f * demo_ship->actual_radius * 95.0f;
								[demo_ship setVelocity:vel];
								[demo_ship setScanClass: CLASS_NO_DRAW];
								[demo_ship setRoll:PI/5.0];
								[demo_ship setPitch:PI/10.0];
								[gui setText:[demo_ship name] forRow:19 align:GUI_ALIGN_CENTER];
It is an annoying little bug, I have to admit. Worst thing is that it appears on the main game demonstration screen. A pity really, when the rest of the game runs gloriously.
zeep
Competent
Competent

Post by zeep »

another_commander, i can't locate that file in my Oolite folders so i guess it's a pre-compile file.. If so, can you compile that entry and attach the file / endresult here so i can use it please?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

That didn’t really seem to help at all… but the real solution is pretty obviously to set the ship’s position directly rather than mess about with the velocity. I’ll get on it, now that you’ve prodded me… after dinner. :-)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

zeep wrote:
another_commander, i can't locate that file in my Oolite folders so i guess it's a pre-compile file.. If so, can you compile that entry and attach the file / endresult here so i can use it please?
Well, as you see from Ahruman's response, this did not work out as expected. It does on my system, but it obviously is not a good solution.

However, on the subject of distributing executables on request:
I normally do not have a problem doing this, but I do not consider it proper to distribute unofficial versions of the Oolite executable without permission from the lead developers, as this would eventually lead to uncontrolled versions floating around, with all subsequent related version control problems and headaches. I know I had offered to do this when the Nav Array was first developed, but in hindsight that was a bit over enthusiastic on my part and definitely not the right thing to do for the reasons mentioned above. Oolite executables should only be downloaded from their "official" location, berlios.de. Changes to code should be reviewed by the devs and then incorporated in the official distribution.

At least, this is my view of things. If I find out that Giles, Ahruman and dajt do not have any problems with this, then by all means, I can email you or anyone who might be interested slightly modified executables with tests and minor changes.

So, that's all, back to trying to squash a couple more bugs then...
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I don’t really see a problem with it. The textured-planet version for Windows came about this way, for instance.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Changed my mind, I’m not doing anything about this right now.
zeep
Competent
Competent

Post by zeep »

Your turn to do the dishes? ;)