Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Tech Levels

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

2Close2Jump
Poor
Poor

Tech Levels

Post by 2Close2Jump »

Hello,

I was wondering if there's a way of getting the galactic map to show each planets' tech level? I find myself randomly trawling around the galaxy, looking for tech level 15 planets to buy interesting ships and kit, but finding them is near impossible.

If there's not (and I suspect I would have found it by now if there was...), and I appreciate this is asking a bit much perhaps, but could somebody point me in the right direction to start writing an OXP that would enhance the standard galactic map with this feature?

I've not tried writing an OXP yet, but I was interested to read about somebody scripting OXPs in javascript. I'm fairly happy with javascript (years of suffering ASP before seeing the PHP light...), but I've no idea where to start with an OXP...

Any help will be much appreciated,

thanks

2close2jump
(...although I have a rather smart Rigel Tactical Bomber these days instead of a lumbering Boa, so I tend not to see that so much any more...)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

For now, you could look them up in the lists: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_planet_list
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

I remember it was possible (I remember looking for many minutes at planets on the gal-map searching for the planet that sold a gal-drive).

I think you can just go to the gal map, select a system and request the planet info screen (F6?).
This should give you info on the planet, inhabitants, government, in short all the relevant info..
Riding the Rocket!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Pressing and holding I when on the short range map, repaces with planet names with their tech level and Icons for their economy and govenments, but think this only works on the short range chart.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

The short range chart thing is certainly handy, but it would be nice to be able to search the galactic chart for world above a given TL. When your equipment gets damaged in a firefight, the first thing you want to know is the nearest system where you can get it fixed.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

The only way galaxy wide is as AH says which is laborious, alternatively as LB says on the local screen, but that is not always enough.

Somewhere I have an excel spreadsheet with all the data, so that it can be sorted by whichever stat you like. It was very interesting sorting by planet description, you could see quite clearly how B&B's seed generation worked.

It took a lot of work to extract Galaxy 1 so I didn't bother with the others, but if peeps are interested, I'll do the whole lot. In the short term, one sheet, so that it could be sorted first by galaxy and then by Tech level. Ideally it would have a separate sheet for each galaxy.

Let me know if you think it would be useful.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

I have no idea about coding so I don't know how easy this would be, but would it be possible to have the means to highlight all worlds above a specified TL on the galactic chart. I know you can trawl through the wiki, find a world and then search for it by name, but some kind of "Mark all worlds on chart above TL ..." would save a lot of hassle.
reills
Deadly
Deadly

Post by reills »

Is there a key to the icons that appear when in the short-range chart pressing "I"? Should I work on one?
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

As there is the "i"-key on the short range map and the planetlists in the wiki--and with the "!"-key on the galaxy map, if you're using a Mac--I think the information about techlevel is fairly easy accessible.

What I want is a complete information about each system, because that's not available at present.

The currently available planetlists list planet_number, name, coordinates, techlevel, inhabitants, government_string and description. So there are at least economy, population and productivity missing. These are somehow bound to TL, but only somehow. There is a variation, particularly in economy. So for scripting purposes it would be very handy to have these data easily accessible on a list, without having to run Oolite and copy the data from the screen for every planet. It would also be very nice to know the default station for each system. For the sake of completeness one could also include the rest of planetinfo, like radius and so on, however these would not be necessary IMO. But the data mentioned above would be.
reills
Deadly
Deadly

Post by reills »

I have created an Excel spreadsheet of all planets in all eight galaxies (one worksheet per galaxy). I can post a link this evening if there is any interest.
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

reills wrote:
I have created an Excel spreadsheet of all planets in all eight galaxies (one worksheet per galaxy). I can post a link this evening if there is any interest.
Great. :) Even if nobody else wants to take you up on your offer, how about putting them up on the Wiki?
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

reills wrote:
Well done that man, mine just covers Galaxy 1, all 8 galaxieswill be a very useful tool (providing us PC owners use alt-tab only when docked!)

I guess a link on the Wiki would be best.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
reills
Deadly
Deadly

Post by reills »

There already is this page on the Wiki.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_planet_list

Is this sufficient?
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

reills wrote:
Is this sufficient?
Well, my vote is for the info to be added onto the page but it was your work Reills so your call. Just upload the files to the Wiki and put the links on that page. :) Or PM them to me and I'll do it, I don't mind, I might as well find out how to do it. :)
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!