In-game economy server

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

In-game economy server

Post by Callas »

How about making a server which runs the in game economy?

Oolite clients, although remaining single player in every other sense, connect to the server to obtain economic state information.

So you don't see other players directly, their ships and so on, but they do interact economically, by the things they buy and sell to each other or to NPCs and the influence the market will have upon their actions.

For example, player will have genuine reasons to head towards certain systems rather than others, depending on how much profit can be made or upon transient events.

You would also get in-game messaging between players. You would also set up the basis for player crafting.

I'd be very happy to work on this project, although that would mean writing the server in C. I can also provide a hardware server to run the server itself.
Last edited by Callas on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Gradual MMORPGification

Post by Callas »

Callas wrote:
In fact, by co-incidence, I've just released into the public domain a win32 solution to the C10K problem. That was written for Tor.
Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Callas »

Callas wrote:
And of course you could then have other servers; for example, one to control galaxy wide Thargoid activity, which would permit them to behave in a much more sophisticated and correlated fashion, with possibilities such as occasional mass Thargoid invasions, which make the trading lanes unsafe and perhaps offer players the chance to join GalCorp forces as mercenaries.
Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Callas »

Callas wrote:
And players could select which servers to join as they wish, a la OXP installation, to enhance the game or to retain the original character.

Which would imply the in-game messaging server should be distinct in and of itself.
Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Callas »

Callas wrote:
Which would imply the in-game messaging server should be distinct in and of itself.
Easiest way to do that is an IRC server, with one channel per system, with automatic channel changing as you hop systems, plus global channels, plus an IM system for indirect real-time communication. You need it integrated into the game interface, though, to immerse the player in the game.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Talking to yourself is a sure sign of madness.

Did you know about the EDIT button? It means you can add stuff to your post without having to create a new post.

Cool, huh?
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

He's trying to gain 'respectability' and 'good reputation' by having a biiig elite posting rank

I say, ban him.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I, for one, consider calls for banning people to be a good way to tarnish your karma. For reference, the total number of board members banned to date is: 1. It took significant effort for that person to achieve this.
Last edited by JensAyton on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Ahruman wrote:
I, for one, consider calls for banning people to be a good way to tarnish your karma.
Glad I'm not religious, then! :wink:
Ahruman wrote:
For reference, the total number of board members banned to date is: 1. It took significant effort for that person te achieve this.
OK, I'll stop and let him be as much of a nuisance as he wishes. In due time he'll have rope enough to hang himself, though...
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Ahruman wrote:
I, for one, consider calls for banning people to be a good way to tarnish your karma. For reference, the total number of board members banned to date is: 1. It took significant effort for that person te achieve this.
Ah yes good old Blunderbuss Carrot, in a funny way I sort of miss him :wink:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
gabbakeisen
Competent
Competent

Post by gabbakeisen »

Selezen wrote:
Talking to yourself is a sure sign of madness.
No thats only the first sign that you may be mad. Answering your own retorical questions is the true sign of madness, isn't it. Yes it is.
ps I have a certificate on my wall that proclaims me to be Clinically Sane so I should know. Back to the topic...
I like the idea of system wide Thargoid AI. Better than just having them popup in the middle of a system with no prior warning or evidence. I'd make it a bit scary if you hyperspaced away only to find the insectoids following you though :twisted:
WooHoo! My fav game now redone for childhood nostalgia of 20 years ago. Now if only I didn't have to go to work so I could live as a virtual space trader.
Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Callas »

[Post deleted by moderator]
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

"Better than just having them popup in the middle of a system with no prior warning or evidence."

that's what makes them so scary! =8-(

following you : well, NPCs leave wormholes oyu can hitchhike through, so a little OXP could perhaps simulate that by adding the ships you thought you left behind when you come outta witch space, as a %age??
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

reills
Deadly
Deadly

Post by reills »