Moving around Stations

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

@Ramon, if you fancy doing some drawings for the rooms, I can either PM you the whole text (which is a bit of a spoiler) or a mini-description of each room.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

PM me the whole text - or better still email to my bluelocust address.

I'm thinking the main text could be part of the graphics (it'd look nicer) and only have the choices as part of the coded text.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Wow! That'd be cool! (And save me C&Ping the text into mission_text). One problem with the yellow letters in mission text is they are hard to read if there is any white in the background pic. I changed to blue.younder
a while back, so I don't think I have your e-mail any more. I'll send it over as a PM and if you PM me back your e-mail I'll send the word file over there.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

This is the coolest thing to happen to Oolite in a hot minute... good thinking lads 8)
Team Zorg are Go!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Text Adventure is now working in game.

This was a real "whoreson beatle flap nave" to script, but can now move around the Rebel Outpost. ATM using normal mission text, but will be replaced with Ramons background location pics:-

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

looking pretty cool :-)

how much of the text will remain (if any?), just the instruction bit or a little more plot stuff?
HueijRevisited
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by HueijRevisited »

Little Bear, this looks incredible! Hurry up will you, I can't wait to play this one. :D Good work :!:
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

All the text will be there.

Just a question of whether its displayed with a PNG (a graphic drawing of what the text decribes) shown behind the text (if you see what I mean) or a "standard" Oolite mission screen for each page of the FF game book (as shown above), with no grahic background.

What I mean is, you'll see the text above for the Hanger suber-imposed over of a graphic of the Hanger. (And the same thing for the other 22 locations). I have the text description working. Need the PNGs from Ramon if it is to have both. But I know he's busy with the Annaconda! 8)

Course if anybody else fancies doing some pics, I'll PM you the text description of each room! I've scriped it and with Captain H i've done the text descriptions, but I haven't got the skill to draw what we've described!

Trying to have a sort of 80s sytle "Twin Kingdom Valley" Graphic / Text adventure for this assassins mission!
reills
Deadly
Deadly

Post by reills »

I'm thinking that screen shots from levels made using UnReal or Halo or the like would make some nice looking PNGs... Now just gotta finish rebuilding this blasted computer's software. :x
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Two thoughts LB :

- w/ that much text over, would it not obscure much of the art?

- re your comment about "standard" mission screens ~ i've already mentioned on a thread that my Constrictor mission screen was stuffed by having the hOopy OXP installed (got the text but not the graphic of the ship) so it might be worth a few "multi-OXP" playtesting to make sure there's no conflicts.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Killer Wolf wrote:
- w/ that much text over, would it not obscure much of the art?
It's possible, but then the artwork need only be a vague representation for atmosphere, as opposed to a like-for-like image, with a Python and Cobbie Ninja.

@ reills - I'm not sure that screenies from other games can be used (even if it's non-profit making) without permission. But maybe using some of the ship textures (not exactly, but you know what I mean) for texture elements might be a quick way of creating a good background image.

Captain Hesperus
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

@KW

Think that was just a one off bug. Playtested will all the OXP's installed and never hit one mission displaying a PNG from another. That is wierd! Proberbly due to Oolite just not clearing the PNG from when you were at the Hoopy, rather than a bug in the OXP itself.

All the other Assassins brieftings (now has 50 mission briefing screen) have PNGs in the background. You can read the text, as long as there isn't loads of white in the background image and it looks nice!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

HueijRevisited wrote:
Little Bear, this looks incredible! Hurry up will you, I can't wait to play this one. :D Good work :!:
Cheeky!!!

You take you time LB.

(uncrosses fingers)

Ok Ok I just lied to a criminal barrister.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

TGHC wrote:
Ok Ok I just lied to a criminal barrister.
Like he's never had that happen before....

Captain Hesperus
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Tis done!

check this thread for info and downloads!

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=3322