Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

FreeBSD: Segmentation fault: 11

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

bones0
Average
Average

FreeBSD: Segmentation fault: 11

Post by bones0 »

Hello all

Starting oolite does the following steps (shortened since I have to copy it manually):
initialising SDL
init: numSticks=0
CREATING MODE LIST
Added res 800 x 600
added res 640 x 480
Segmentation fault: 11

What is it trying to do when it crashes? Still scanning the graphics card or moving over to the next step? Is there a way to get more information or turn off some tests which may crash the system?

It's a rather old Notebook (Compaq Presario 1400, 128MB RAM, Trident Cyberblade, Via 82c686 Sound (AC97), no joystick) running FreeBSD 6.1, Xorg, IceWM, GENERIC Kernel. I don't know it it's capable (fast enough) to run oolite, but I am quite sure this Segmentation fault doesn't have anything to do with speed.

Regards
Peter
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

128 Mb seems pretty cramped to run Oolite...
bones0
Average
Average

Post by bones0 »

But could this cause a segfault? It's more about seeing it run under FreeBSD than about really playing it ;-) I have it smoothly running on a modern machine on XP (one of those "vista-ready" things) and sort of running under Linux ("sort of" because the graphics card is junk; S3 Savage 4.).

Regards
Peter
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

I'm not sure but IIRC from other people playing with low memory segfaults do happen, often in-game. On different OSes, that is.

Oolite really doesnt like too little memory, it starts paging like mad, and uses lots of caching textures etc... And somewhere it then makes an error?

I'm just repeating what I (all too vaguely) remember from discussions on people segfaulting
bones0
Average
Average

Post by bones0 »

It does not seem to be memory - the amount of consumed memory doesn't seem to go up during the split second oolite is running. I guess it's more likely that it doesn't work well with the graphics card. I would be surprised if the Trident Cyber Blade did never hear anything about openGL. When I installed Linux the first time at this notebook (when it was new) it was not easy to make it run in XFree86.

Anyway; I guess if you say 128MB is not enough (and there are only 20MB free anyway when FreeBSD, Xorg, icewm and GNUstep are already running) and low memory might get Segfaults it's probably not worth to spend too much time at this experiment. Even though it's fun anyway ;-)

Regards
Peter
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

I have 512 Mb and am getting a segfault every time I try to run Oolite in Ubuntu.
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=3001

Apologies for cross post but it seemed relevant.