Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by Commander_X »

Wildeblood wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 11:05 pm
[...] I asked for examples of stories with black holes performing some function between the narrative extremes of being just a passing reference and being a main focus of the protagonist's actions. I'm asking for stories with gratuitous inclusion of black holes, that could be easily written out, but not so easily as just a passing reference that could be written out with one paragraph. IOW, stories from the time when black holes were shiny and new and authors were shoe-horning them in to stories where they didn't need to be.

1. is a black hole.
2. is not the main story.
3. is more than just a mention.
Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda:
1. Starts near a black hole where Andromeda spent 300 years close to the event horizon
2. Several (3-4?) episodes touch a black hole in their story line, but the main story of the series is not "black hole bound"
3. I can remember two of them presented:
- first one (in Hephaistos IV system) where the story starts, Andromeda is pulled from close to the event horizon, and the crew returns some episodes later, to use it for some back-in-time action (assisted by the black hole presence)
- second one that presents herself as an avatar (we also have other celestial bodies avatars; a main character is a star avatar) in a sort of a dream Andromeda's captain is having