Kill count not increasing

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Kill count not increasing

Post by Wildeblood »

RobsterLeal wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:14 pm
Bounty System

Needed by
GalCop Missions and GalCop Most Wanted , so I cant load those either.

As to why its causing the problem - i have no idea... :)
The clue is in the name: it's an OXP that takes control over the bounty system, so was always likely involved. (The other obvious suspect is Anarchies OXP.) But there's more going on here; if Bounty System were broken someone would have noticed, so it's likely interacting with another OXP or some unusual game state.

Might I suggest replacing Bounty System and removing Anarchies, HUD Selector and all the over-fancy HUDs, except one basic, unscripted HUD you can live with temporarily, and seeing what happens.
"Would somebody stop that bloody music!"
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Wildeblood wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 3:39 am
RobsterLeal wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:14 pm
Bounty System

Needed by
GalCop Missions and GalCop Most Wanted , so I cant load those either.

As to why its causing the problem - i have no idea... :)
The clue is in the name: it's an OXP that takes control over the bounty system, so was always likely involved. (The other obvious suspect is Anarchies OXP.) But there's more going on here; if Bounty System were broken someone would have noticed, so it's likely interacting with another OXP or some unusual game state.

Might I suggest replacing Bounty System and removing Anarchies, HUD Selector and all the over-fancy HUDs, except one basic, unscripted HUD you can live with temporarily, and seeing what happens.
Interesting. We drilled down to the Bounty Sytem and dependent OXPs. So I take it that the presence of these were sufficient to show the problem. Which means at the same time everything else has been removed already.

If we had not found any single OXP I would more suspect a problem in compatibility that was cured by slicing the expansion set.

I am wondering whether such slicing could be managed by OoliteStarter to ease structured problem solving.
It would still take the user to play and rate the game.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
RobsterLeal
Above Average
Above Average

Post by RobsterLeal »

No - I haven't yet moved onto the next step, which is adding Bounty System, then removing others, to see what interaction may be causing the issue...

i ran out of day :)

If i get the chance today i will start with bounty system ONLY, then add expansions until it goes wonky...
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

RobsterLeal wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:17 am
No - I haven't yet moved onto the next step, which is adding Bounty System, then removing others, to see what interaction may be causing the issue...

i ran out of day :)

If i get the chance today i will start with bounty system ONLY, then add expansions until it goes wonky...
Ah, then I had misunderstood. Thank you for the clarification. :-)
RobsterLeal
Above Average
Above Average

Post by RobsterLeal »

Hello again....

interesting news... so , I switched my save to 'Vanilla' Flavour in OoliteStarter - which effectively removes all expansions I think?

confirmed kills were added when save loaded.

Added 'Bounty System' as the ONLY expansion... reloaded save.... kills not counted.

Which points directly to that single oxp?? Or is it some sort of interaction with my save?

...just realised i DID still have Povrays Planets loaded...need to remove those for final checking... yup - nowt to do with those...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

RobsterLeal wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:34 pm
interesting news... so , I switched my save to 'Vanilla' Flavour in OoliteStarter - which effectively removes all expansions I think?

confirmed kills were added when save loaded.

Added 'Bounty System' as the ONLY expansion... reloaded save.... kills not counted.

Which points directly to that single oxp??
I also have that oxp loaded - together with a couple of hundred others. None of these problems.

Now, I don’t want to get too personal, but exactly what is your standing with the Witchspace Lobster? I notice that you disdain LitF for LitF Revival. This precludes offering the appropriate sacrifices at the fane of the WL. No wonder you are having problems…
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
RobsterLeal
Above Average
Above Average

Post by RobsterLeal »

Next step i guess would be sticking my save file up fro perusal - unfortunately its too big to stick in a post,

so i stuck it in Dropbox... https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/yhqyuror ... 5d166&dl=0
RobsterLeal
Above Average
Above Average

Post by RobsterLeal »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:56 pm

I also have that oxp loaded - together with a couple of hundred others. None of these problems.

Now, I don’t want to get too personal, but exactly what is your standing with the Witchspace Lobster? I notice that you disdain LitF for LitF Revival. This precludes offering the appropriate sacrifices at the fane of the WL. No wonder you are having problems…
I have absolutely NO standing with the Witchspace Lobster, and don't even know the difference between LitF and LitF Revival :) - so thats probably it.....
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Bug Phkb for a copy of LitF v0.07 and then go and explore a Coriolos or a Dodo!

Or try LitF v0.06 (link on the LitF wiki page)

You will need to consign your copy of Revival to the outer darknesses

And make sure that you have a good stiff Gin and tonic to hand before getting out at a Rock Hermit!
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Oh! And when did you last make an offering of blue cheese to Giles the Creator?
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

RobsterLeal wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:41 pm
hiran wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:16 pm

Maybe we can drill this down whether some OXP is involved.

You have your expansion set, and the problem is there.
Uninstall all expansions (or go to the vanilla flavor) and try the same. If it reoccurs the problem is likely in the core game.

If not, slice the expansion set in two halfs and find the problematic one. Repeat this until only one OXP is left. This is the culprit then and we can take a closer look.
Excellent idea - i shall get on that...

Can confirm kill registers with 'vanilla' set on OoliteStarter, so its not core code.... starting to split expansions now
Since this has already helped in different situations, I documented it here:
https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolit ... ing_Oolite
RobsterLeal
Above Average
Above Average

Post by RobsterLeal »

One thing i did forget to mention - the save i was using was from about 8 months ago originally, waaay prior to using OoliteStarter .

I did make sure all expansions in use were updated before I loaded it up...

Im resigned to the fact at the moment that this run can't have bounty system enabled :(
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

@RobsterLeal:

Just dug into Bounty System v0.15's files and found what could be an answer for you.
"Credits from the destruction of a ship that has a bounty, and the associated increase to Elite Rank, is now deferred, and can be claimed from the GalCop Security Office on any GalCop Station."
The above is quoted from the readme.txt in the OXZ. Would have responded sooner but had completely forgotten about this new addition to this OXZ as it has been turned off in my version since just after its April release. Turned off you say? Yes. If you have the Library v1.7.1 OXZ installed there is the ability to turn off this Deferred Bounty Claiming from within Library's F4 screen options. Go to the Bounty System entry found there, set the Bounty payments deferred option to false, and you should be good to carry on as you did in the past. Of course you could leave things as they are making regular visits to a GalCop Security Office part of your routine. Gave that a try myself (if my memory now serves) but did not enjoy the extra step of claiming bounties at the Security Office and then claiming them only at stations associated with GalCop. Hope this helps.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
RobsterLeal
Above Average
Above Average

Post by RobsterLeal »

Well now i just feel dumb -

ALWAYS READ THE FULL INSTRUCTIONS LEAL!

Thankyou soo much Nite Owl, and everyone else who helped this complete eejit out.

I'm gonna go back into deserved obscurity now.... :)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

RobsterLeal wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:22 am
Well now i just feel dumb -

ALWAYS READ THE FULL INSTRUCTIONS LEAL!

Thankyou soo much Nite Owl, and everyone else who helped this complete eejit out.

I'm gonna go back into deserved obscurity now.... :)
I’m not so sure that you should be so down on yourself. I play with the oxp and never had any problems - nor did I notice that tweak in the instructions…
Comments wanted: