Yamiks (popular Elite streamer/YouTuber) has a video up about Oolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Yamiks (popular Elite streamer/YouTuber) has a video up about Oolite

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:18 am
Killer Wolf wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:04 pm
it's always nice when people highlight your efforts as "crap".
I'm afraid that I take your opinion rather more seriously than I take his...

But 33,000 views has to be good for us!
I watched several videos as a sequence and now am not sure which is which. But the 'crap' I heard related to holding up history and the vanilla game.
There is something to it, and it for sure is debatable. If we want to keep existing Elite fans, the game needs to be as much the original as possible. And Oolite is performing marvellously there.

But as these gamers are aging and eventually dying out, the game still needs players otherwise it is completely useless, right? So what does Oolite offer to young gamers who have not had the breathtaking experience of an 8bit computer allowing space travel? Why would these youngsters go through the fuss of installing all these OXPs if other games already have them (speak: artwork, sounds, missions, ...) out of the box?

I think we tried to discuss the topic, therefore this thread was opened but the discussion has not yet concluded, not to talk evolved into a change on the Oolite distribution.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

https://youtu.be/sMHNL_hoMxY?si=a67zWacIzCSB7NrU

Yamiks posted a video of space sims tier list a few hours ago. Oolite is included and was classified as S-tier.

I'm happy.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:49 pm
https://youtu.be/sMHNL_hoMxY?si=a67zWacIzCSB7NrU

Yamiks posted a video of space sims tier list a few hours ago. Oolite is included and was classified as S-tier.

I'm happy.
He points out that Oolite just copies the original game, but then lives on it's mods. The vanilla game will likely not attract today's players.
And that's what he also mentioned in the video mentioned in the beginning of this thread.

Should we think of adding some expansions into the standard installation? This does not mean they have to go into the resources folder. Just the installer could drop them the managed-addons and the player can take it from there.

Alternatively we could package Oolite with OoliteStarter and pop up the flavors screen as a first measure.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

But was not the need for OXPs a constant refrain in Arquebus’s comments? And he even did a series based on the strict game, complaining vigorously all the time about how spartan it is!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:00 pm
But was not the need for OXPs a constant refrain in Arquebus’s comments? And he even did a series based on the strict game, complaining vigorously all the time about how spartan it is!
...which means they're singing the same tune.