OXP Event handlers

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

OXP Event handlers

Post by hiran »

So there are numerous event handling functions for world scripts (see World Script Event Handlers), but apart from that there seem to be ship scripts (see Ship Script Event Handlers).

Now I do not intend to create my own ship, so shipdata.plist tweaking won't help. Instead I'd like to attach my event handler to the player ship (and maybe some selected others). But how exactly does this work?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: OXP Event handlers

Post by Wildeblood »

hiran wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:54 pm
So there are numerous event handling functions for world scripts (see World Script Event Handlers), but apart from that there seem to be ship scripts (see Ship Script Event Handlers).

Now I do not intend to create my own ship, so shipdata.plist tweaking won't help. Instead I'd like to attach my event handler to the player ship (and maybe some selected others). But how exactly does this work?
You spot a useful looking event in the list of Ship Script Event Handlers).
You write a function for it, and include it in a world script.
Test it. It will probably work.
If it's one of the rare ones that are only for non-player ships, it won't work. If so, come back to the BB and have a whinge about it.

Yes, I've had a look at that wiki page; there's a section at the bottom clearly labelled "NPC only". You can use all the events listed above that in world scripts. I suspect I've misunderstood your question, haven't I?
"Would somebody stop that bloody music!"
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Wildeblood wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:07 pm
You spot a useful looking event in the list of Ship Script Event Handlers).
You write a function for it, and include it in a world script.
Test it. It will probably work.
If it's one of the rare ones that are only for non-player ships, it won't work. If so, come back to the BB and have a whinge about it.

Yes, I've had a look at that wiki page; there's a section at the bottom clearly labelled "NPC only". You can use all the events listed above that in world scripts. I suspect I've misunderstood your question, haven't I?
So I decided for this function: shipDumpedCargo
It is listed in Ship Event Handlers but not in World Event Handlers. Thus I added to my world script this content:

Code: Select all

this.shipDumpedCargo = function(cargo)
{
   log(this.name, "shipDumpedCargo(" + cargo + ")");
}
And indeed. I bought some cargo, launched and then dropped a pod. This is what I saw in the log:

Code: Select all

21:27:25.026 [oolite-starter-oxp]: shipDumpedCargo([Ship "Cargo container" position: (-44068.3, 60055.3, 438413) scanClass: CLASS_CARGO status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT])
So if the world script can receive all the ship script events, why distinguish between them at all? Nevertheless, if this also works for the other events the question is answered. :-)
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

The worldscript event handles events for the player ship. If you want to link up to the same event for any other ship, the code needs to be in a ship script.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:42 pm
The worldscript event handles events for the player ship. If you want to link up to the same event for any other ship, the code needs to be in a ship script.
Ok, that is a difference.
How would I, from one OXP, hook a ship script onto some other ship?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

hiran wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:59 pm
How would I, from one OXP, hook a ship script onto some other ship?
You need some reference to the ship, e.g. player.ship.target, then you can read its script at player.ship.target.script, or replace it entirely using player.ship.target.setScript("hiran-ship-script.js")

https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolit ... #setScript

Says, in its entirety, the following:
function setScript(scriptName : String)
Set, or completely replace, the javascript code associated to a ship entity.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Wildeblood wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:13 pm
player.ship.target.setScript("hiran-ship-script.js")
How do I get that script name? Is it the filename? Relative to my OXP root? What if I need subdirectories? And then think of subdirectories in Windows and in Linux...
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

hiran wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:54 pm
player.ship.target.setScript("hiran-ship-script.js")
How do I get that script name? Is it the filename? Relative to my OXP root? What if I need subdirectories? And then think of subdirectories in Windows and in Linux...
JS files go into the "Scripts" sub-directory of your OXP. The file world-scripts.plist in "Config" lists scripts to be copied into the "worldScripts" namespace at start up, the other files sit there patiently waiting to be used as ship scripts, equipment scripts, etc.

All the OXPs are merged at load. All the JS files in any subdirectory named "Scripts" go into one big pool. (Similarly, all the PNG files in any "Images" directory, etc.) This allows your OXP to use resources from other OXPs. That's why it's important to prefix filenames with something unique (not "oolite-") to avoid naming conflicts. Then you just use the filename, you don't need to worry about the full path.
Last edited by Wildeblood on Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

You need some reference to the ship, e.g. player.ship.target
I once used player.ship.target.target to check if another ship was targeting me, then if it wasn't, player.ship.target.target.target to check if its target was targeting me (which would imply my target was helping me, and would be silly to shoot at.)
This sort of thing amuses me. :mrgreen: I don't know whether player.ship.target.target.target.target works*, but I assume it does. I can't think what it would be good for.

* i.e. Whether there is some limit in javascript as to how long such a daisy chain of object references can get.
MrFlibble
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by MrFlibble »

Wildeblood wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:36 am
All the OXPs are merged at load. All the JS files in any subdirectory named "Scripts" go into one big pool. (Similarly, all the PNG files in any "Images" directory, etc.) This allows your OXP to use resources from other OXPs. That's why it's important to prefix filenames with something unique (not "oolite-") to avoid naming conflicts. Then you just use the filename, you don't need to worry about the full path.
I'm having a senior moment attempting to grok that!!

Why files not referenced in the pool by e.g. bigship.png (my oxp 'bigship.png') and when not in the current, something like com.flibble.dodgyoxp1.bigship.png, an unimaginatively named png file in another but specific oxp?

In my head, I'm imagining OXP authors (attempting to observe due-diligence) having to grep the file-lists of ALL the available other OXP's in an expanding Ooniverse in order to avoid filename clashes. (explosion.png, texture.png, should-I-prefix-all-filenames-with-a-UUID-to-avoid-mayhem.png)

I feel like I missed a sanity clause, and it's not even Christmas.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

MrFlibble wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:36 am
I'm having a senior moment attempting to grok that!!

Why files not referenced in the pool by e.g. bigship.png (my oxp 'bigship.png') and when not in the current, something like com.flibble.dodgyoxp1.bigship.png, an unimaginatively named png file in another but specific oxp?

In my head, I'm imagining OXP authors (attempting to observe due-diligence) having to grep the file-lists of ALL the available other OXP's in an expanding Ooniverse in order to avoid filename clashes. (explosion.png, texture.png, should-I-prefix-all-filenames-with-a-UUID-to-avoid-mayhem.png)

I feel like I missed a sanity clause, and it's not even Christmas.
1. A cocoanut fell on my head recently, so maybe I'm mis-remembering, but:
2. If I am remembering correctly, "I didn't do it!"
3. I notice worldscripts nowadays have a unique ID prepended to them (it was not so back in my day), but to access one from another we still use its "name" property, which must be unique.

Addendum:
I've been sitting here tying to think of words to back-pedal, but... no. That's how I remember it working. We'll just have to await someone more knowledgeable.
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

MrFlibble wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:36 am
Yes.

Or you just create a prefix for all your files, and you should be 99.9% OK. The 0.1% will be extremely rare (somehow having two OXP's use the same prefix and then the same filename is *possible*, but highly unlikely).
JS files go into the "Scripts" sub-directory of your OXP. The file world-scripts.plist in "Config" lists scripts to be copied into the "worldScripts" namespace at start up, the other files sit there patiently waiting to be used as ship scripts, equipment scripts, etc.
The missing detail here are the "script.js" files in the Config folder. There are literally hundreds of OXP's with this configuration. *In this instance*, each script.js file is kept unique (ie they do not overwrite eachother), and is automatically added to the worldscripts JS pile without needing to use the world-script.plist file.