Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Planetfall 2.0 (apparently)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Planetfall 2.0 (apparently)

Post by Cholmondely »

DGill wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:16 pm
That's great - all working now - thank you.
Super!

So you now have a version which works seamlessly with PF2?

Any chance of a sight of it? I've been moored at Digebiti for a month now trying to get to the Royal Court! I think that I've lost the payment for the first mission but want to try a second.

And... what monarchs do I still need to send you for G7/G8?

No luck yet finding decent details of knighting ceremonies...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:47 am

Ha! Not quite seamlessly. I'm currently testing and have a few of issues to sort out.

1. working well on G1-6. With Digebiti I've set it so you need to land at the Royal Court spaceport or travel there by train from another landing site before you can take a flitter to the Chancery and access the feudal missions. For all other Feudal Systems you land at the Capital City.
My script does not (or should not) affect non-feudal systems but oddly PlanetFall2 seems to generate multiple "Capital Cities" on each non-feudal planet i.e. At Beused I get landing sites: "factory complex", "rubbish dump", "capital city", "capital city" and "capital city". Not sure if the multiple capital cities is a feature of Planetfall2 or my script has somehow messed up phkb's script - I need to do some further testing.

2. I've retained your planetside text for arrival at the spaceport and flitter journey to the chancery but, as I think you previously suggested, I need to change the return journey Industrial and Agricultural screens and the text which does not now fit well.

3. Planetfall2 is scripted to provide Feudal System landing sites for G1-G6. I would like to add in the new G7-G8 systems, preferably by not altering phkb's oxps. I have not tried to do this yet - on my to-do list.

4. Nothing to do with Planetfall2 but my script has a serious random bug which I cannot track down. Landing on a feudal system planet and travelling to the chancery usually works well but on occasion I cannot access the chancery where new missions are offered - I can only proceed if I load a previous save file. Hopefully the bug will show up as I continue to play test.

I can send you a copy of the current oxp if you wish but you might want to wait until I have sorted out the above issues.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

To answer the question: yes, pf2 will create multiple capital city locations, unless specifically told not to with a custom setup.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

DGill wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:55 am
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:47 am

Ha! Not quite seamlessly. I'm currently testing and have a few of issues to sort out.

1. ...My script does not (or should not) affect non-feudal systems but oddly PlanetFall2 seems to generate multiple "Capital Cities" on each non-feudal planet i.e. At Beused I get landing sites: "factory complex", "rubbish dump", "capital city", "capital city" and "capital city". Not sure if the multiple capital cities is a feature of Planetfall2 or my script has somehow messed up phkb's script - I need to do some further testing.

3. Planetfall2 is scripted to provide Feudal System landing sites for G1-G6. I would like to add in the new G7-G8 systems, preferably by not altering phkb's oxps. I have not tried to do this yet - on my to-do list.
1) Are those capital cities really capital cities - or just landing sites which use the "capital city" image (I did not notice any non-capital city images).

3) My understanding is that Phkb produced that oxp specially for you and your version of Feudal States. If you send him suggested amendments, I'm sure that he'll happily incorporate them.

Other) Will we be able to eventually produce Tibecea/Digebiti oxps which will "sit on top" of your Feudal States & phkb's PF2 Feudal addon - and add to the immersion there?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Yes, they’re just landing sites that use the capital city images. Nothing otherwise special about them.
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:10 am

Other) Will we be able to eventually produce Tibecea/Digebiti oxps which will "sit on top" of your Feudal States & phkb's PF2 Feudal addon - and add to the immersion there?
Yes, but there may be some issues that would need to be sorted.
For example, currently the king of the player's home planet is named in P.A.D. If other oxps also define a king for the system then the immersion may be broken.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

DGill wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:41 pm
Yes, but there may be some issues that would need to be sorted.
For example, currently the king of the player's home planet is named in P.A.D. If other oxps also define a king for the system then the immersion may be broken.
I don't see that happening. You and I are the most likely to do anything of that sort - and we would both make sure that everything was compatible (ie the King changed because of death or a coup d'etat or some such).
Comments wanted:
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

phkb wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:29 am
rather than something that needs a manifest entry.
... YET.
If people like it, there will be demand.
(Waiting for the "image heavy resource pack" to finish downloading.)
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

RockDoctor wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:56 pm
phkb wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:29 am
rather than something that needs a manifest entry.
... YET.
If people like it, there will be demand.
(Waiting for the "image heavy resource pack" to finish downloading.)
Downloaded, re-started ; red flags warning of an incompatibility between "Planetfall" and "Planetfall Market Saver", and various resultant errors. Just deleting "PMS", because I never really noticed it doing anything much - planet-falling not being a big thing for me at the moment.

Second rinse - it's now complaining about "Planetfall Markets", so third time around ... Actually, hang on.

The first sentence of the error messages on screen reads "(blah) Planetfall conflicts with Planetfall Markets and so was not loaded",
Then "Feudal States was not loaded as it requires Planet fall"
Then "Planetfall Markets was not loaded as it requires "Planetfall, which is not installed" ...

So, which cart should go before which horse?

Third rinse - removed "Planetfall Markets" - and now I'm getting no complaints.
--
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

RockDoctor wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:10 am
Third rinse - removed "Planetfall Markets" - and now I'm getting no complaints.
Except ... for some reason the email system has sent me the "Re: New Pilot Registration" message, which I've had repeated at intervals before but I haven't been able to pin it so tightly to doing a significant OXP change before now. Whose OXP is that from?

Wait, what? - I'm sure I used to have Planetfall Landing systems (or something like that) .. but now I've got "Atmospheric Stabilisers" and no "Planetfall Systems". And a smoking debris trail through the atmosphere.
I do vaguely recall being told something about a change to Planetfall a while ago, but since I don't do much on planets in any case, I ignored it. Sigh : off to a higher tech world to get the ironmongery re-installed.

I also seem to have acquired entities called a "Revolutionary Astrofarm" (someone has been reading "The Moon is a Harsh mistress", again ; Agriculture planet-side must have really fscked up bad, to make farming in space economically worthwhile. ) ; an "Imperial Embassy" location on the compass (which I'll probably need landing struts for - or whatever the planetfall ironmongery comprises) and a "Passport control" (same comment). So something has certainly been added.
Last edited by RockDoctor on Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
--
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

RockDoctor wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:25 am
Except ... for some reason the email system has sent me the "Re: New Pilot Registration" message, which I've had repeated at intervals before but I haven't been able to pin it so tightly to doing a significant OXP change before now. Whose OXP is that from?
That email is native to the email system OXP.
"Would somebody stop that bloody music!"
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Wildeblood wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:35 am
That email is native to the email system OXP.
And something gets re-set when you update (certain) OXPs, triggering a re-send. That's probably not an intended effect, so something for the "Email OXP" maintainer/ writer to look at.
Which, according to my ~/GNUstep/Library/Caches/org.aegidian.oolite/Oolite-manifests.plist is "description = "Email System"; identifier = oolite.oxp.phkb.EmailSystem;"
Ooops, my ship has got to the refuelling star!
--
phkb

Post by phkb »

You should only get that email once, when the email system is first installed, or you start a new game. I'll check what might be triggering resending.
I'm sure I used to have Planetfall Landing systems (or something like that) .. but now I've got "Atmospheric Stabilisers" and no "Planetfall Systems". And a smoking debris trail through the atmosphere.
The Planetary landing equipment was replaced with "Atmospheric Stabilisers". You won't find the planetary landing equipment for sale anywhere. You don't need it to land on planets any more.

But landing on planets is different now, in that there is atmospheric turbulence. Which makes the job of approaching one of the landing points more difficult. And there are very specific points where you can land now, as distinct from the old version where you could land anywhere. Make sure you slow down to under 100m/s when you're on approach.
I also seem to have acquired entities called a "Revolutionary Astrofarm"
There are added through the "Imperial AstroFactory" OXP - essentially another varient of the astrofactory that will appear in Dictatorship agri-type worlds.
phkb

Post by phkb »

This is a case where I can only control what my OXP (PF2) is doing. In this case, I'm flagging that it is incompatible with some of these older "fix" OXPs. When Oolite sees that a mod has flagged other as incompatible, it will not load the reporting OXP, rather than doing it the other way around of disabling the mod flagged as incompatible. That was deemed a safer way of resolving these conflicts.
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

phkb wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:34 am
This is a case where I can only control what my OXP (PF2) is doing. In this case, I'm flagging that it is incompatible with some of these older "fix" OXPs. When Oolite sees that a mod has flagged other as incompatible, it will not load the reporting OXP, rather than doing it the other way around of disabling the mod flagged as incompatible. That was deemed a safer way of resolving these conflicts.
I removed the "Planetfall Markets" OXP (OZP?) and it now starts up with no red flags. I didn't use it anyway.
I've been trying to find the appropriate bit of the "Email System" thread, but had just decided to go away and check the OZP file for a ReleaseNotes.TXT file. But you're onto that problem.
I'm not terribly distressed by getting yet-another email about a clerical error of no import, 10 years ago. Sort of, accidentally, increases the verisimilitude.
An idea occurred to me (and the "Emial System" thread is probably a better place to discuss it), but if the intention was to emulate an email service "in game", then wouldn't the "store-and-forward" mechanism of transporting email over UUCP (and IIUC, News over USENET) be workable by having a frequently-updated "mailStore.SMTP" OZP, which dumps new emails into your mail system on a "clock" event. Would probably expose all sorts of horrors in each user's in-game clock reflecting choices made in 2004. The system would also need SMTP.oolite.space to accept incoming messages from CommanderX to CommanderY about, say, a pub meet at the Lascivious Lizard on Tottenham Court Nebula, and package them to go by the old (dial-up vintage) gateway onto the OZP server. Ye Ghods, it takes me back to using Compuserve through an offline reader on dial-up before 2001.
But what the hey, it's beddy-byes time for this commander, having just been reminded why the Spaceways Code says "don't try answering your forum email while parking your spaceship!"

Why, if it is so popular in corporate car parks, do no (space) stations enforce a "reverse parking only" policy?

Definitely sleepy time. My braincell just popped up the prospect of NTP.oolite.space, serving a rather "idiosyncratic" version of NTP in some highly esoteric "time zones" ... and "accidentally" destroying the stock market when someone tries setting the Stock Exchange official transactions clock by peering to NTP.oolite.space
Yeah, it's the old "multiplayer version" discussion, again.
--