Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Planetfall 2.0 (apparently)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Planetfall 2.0 (probably)

Post by phkb »

First thing:
MrFlibble wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:05 pm
Active script: PlanetFall2 2.5
Version 2.6 is in the download manager. Probably won't make a difference, but worth updating.

Can you add this line of code to "planetFall2_worldScript.js" at around line 984 :

Code: Select all

log(this.name, "checking condition script for " + pfKeys[i]);
Then report back on what you see in the log just before the error?
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

phkb wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:06 pm
First thing:
MrFlibble wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:05 pm
Active script: PlanetFall2 2.5
Version 2.6 is in the download manager. Probably won't make a difference, but worth updating.

Can you add this line of code to "planetFall2_worldScript.js" at around line 984 :

log(this.name, "checking condition script for " + pfKeys[i]);
Then report back on what you see in the log just before the error?
2.5 gave the same as 2.6.

03:58:50.537 [script.load.notFound]: ***** ERROR: Could not find script file feudal-planetfall-conditions.js.
03:58:51.791 [script.load.notFound]: ***** ERROR: Could not find script file feudal-planetfall-conditions.js.
03:58:51.859 [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ***** JavaScript exception (PlanetFall2 2.6): TypeError: tempalloy[0].script.allowSpawnShip is not a function
03:58:51.859 [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]:       /home/user/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Thargoid.Planetfall.oxz/Scripts/planetFall2_worldScript.js, line 988.
FWIW, I did this to the code to be 'sure' to get some logging action. I'd copied the file out to /tmp, run dos2unix to clean out the ctrl-m's, then copied it back into the zip (using the venerable mc vfs). This will of course twist the line number reported in my log above.

var temppos = system.sun.position.cross(system.mainPlanet.position).direction().multiply(4E9).subtract(system.mainPlanet.position);
log(this.name, "checking condition script for 1 " + pfKeys[i]);
var tempalloy = system.addShips("alloy", 1, temppos, 0);
log(this.name, "checking condition script for 2 " + pfKeys[i]);
tempalloy[0].setScript(sh.condition_script);
log(this.name, "checking condition script for 3 " + pfKeys[i]);
allowed = tempalloy[0].script.allowSpawnShip(pfKeys[i]);
Let me know if I can aid bisection in any other way.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:41 pm
The order of comms messages is:
1. "For planet-side landing please approach and your automated landing clearance request will be triggered."
2. "Landing clearance request received." followed immediately by "Please await confirmation before beginning final approach.".
3. "Landing clearance granted." followed immediately by "Please approach the ground control interface point slowly, at less than 100 meters per second."
Is it possible for Landing Clearance to be

(1) made non automatic (as with Docking Clearance, where you have to request it (press "l")) - and if it is, surely it should be set by the GameOptions enablement of Docking Protocol rather than another Library.oxp tweak!

(1a) Or made more complex (done via BCC?)
1. "This is <for Digebiti> (Lesser Walsingham/Greater Walsingham/the Dismal Desert) Landing Authority. For planet-side landing please approach and request landing clearance."
2. "Landing clearance request received. Please confirm your previous port of call."
- [Anarchy variant: Landing clearance granted]
- [Dictatorship variant: "State your previous port of call"]

BCC Choice: list of all other systems in 7ly - and/or of "registered" in-system stations
3. "Kindly hold while our systems clarify your data"
<Pause: Time = 17 seoonds - system TL> (with lobstoid pincer-jarring elevator music?)
4. "Please transmit your cargo manifest"
- [Commie variant: This is Officer Wildeblood! You will transmit your cargo manifest now!]
- [Dictators variant: You will transmit your cargo manifest now!]
- [Home System oxp variant: Welcome back home, Commander <Cody>! Don't forget to bring your cargo manifest to Customs on landing.)

BCC choice: transmit cargo manifest/transmit previously prepared/bought bogus manifest/refuse

(2) be refused (as in Diplomancy)
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

MrFlibble wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:03 am
Let me know if I can aid bisection in any other way.
I think I spotted the issue. There's an update for Feudal PlanetFall2 Customisations in the DM now. Can you update that one and see what happens?
Cholmondely wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:03 am
Is it possible for Landing Clearance to be **various non-automatic methods**
Probably. I *might* be able to switch back to the core game docking request system, now that there is a targetable entity. I'll have to experiment with make that entity a station so it will do something with the request.

As for any of the BCC options - sure, all possible. I can make it as complicated as you want. If you draw up a matrix of what should happen in all circumstances, I can code the solution.

And being denied access if you don't have a valid visa (aka Diplomacy) should already be in the system. If it's not working, its a bug.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

phkb wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:52 pm
I think I spotted the issue. There's an update for Feudal PlanetFall2 Customisations in the DM now. Can you update that one and see what happens?
That's fixed it :D
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Great!
As for any of the BCC options - sure, all possible. I can make it as complicated as you want. If you draw up a matrix of what should happen in all circumstances, I can code the solution.
I'll see if I can come up with something coherent.

Question.

As regards naming - say - Isinor. The only named site is the capital, St Standing (named in Disembodied's Rough Guide wiki page).

Do I also create names for all the other landing sites on Isinor - or can I let LittleBear's Great and Glorious Galloping Galactic Gobbledegook Generator take over and fill them in psuedo-randomly for the player?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Re: Planetfall 2.0 (apparently)

Post by phkb »

Version 2.7 should now be in the download manager. This release is largely based on suggestions from this thread and from reddit user "BicornisGoat", now when you approach a planet (whether you're near a landing spot or not), the rotation of the planet will be slowed to hopefully reduce the visual scale issues a bit. The reduction will happen gradually as you descend, and then do the reverse as you climb (although you probably won't notice that as much as you won't be looking at the planet at that point, most likely).

This will be turned on by default, but you can turn it off with Library Config.
phkb

Post by phkb »

I'm creating an icon for the wiki that can be added to OXP pages that use PF2. Let me know your preferences:
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:50 am
I'm creating an icon for the wiki that can be added to OXP pages that use PF2. Let me know your preferences:
Left.

But what is the use of one OXP having an icon? wouldn't it make more sense to add an optional field to the manifest pointing to the icon? Then potentially every OXP can have an icon plus we could industrialize it's handling.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
phkb

Post by phkb »

On the wiki, some of the OXPs that are utility or base systems (eg Library, GNN, Bulletin Board System) have an icon that allows other OXPs that link to them to visually show that linkage.

And this is a purely wiki thing, rather than something that needs a manifest entry.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:30 pm
As regards naming - say - Isinor. The only named site is the capital, St Standing (named in Disembodied's Rough Guide wiki page).

Do I also create names for all the other landing sites on Isinor - or can I let LittleBear's Great and Glorious Galloping Galactic Gobbledegook Generator take over and fill them in psuedo-randomly for the player?
That’s up to you, although it would probably be easier to let RNG create a set for you and then just overwrite one of them with the one official name and make that the official set. That way, all of Isinor will always be the same no matter the player. The way the random generation works, it could generate a new set for each save game.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:50 am
Let me know your preferences:
The first (as it seems to me most similar to Svengali/cbr's icons).
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

Agree with the others.

My reason is that it is clearly a '2' in the first image whereas the 'II' of the others is both more stylised and less obviously numerical.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

behind, overlay and cut.

I would make the '2' better readable...
phkb

Post by phkb »

Something like this then?