Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Can I become a licensed Arms Dealer? (nope)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Laie
Average
Average

Can I become a licensed Arms Dealer? (nope)

Post by Laie »

So, I'm offered a delivery contract, 31t of firearms over 7 jumps for a net payout of 1200 credits.
I can make as much from a single load of computers, so that offer is an insult to my business sense.

However, Firearms? I'd totally take that contract if it allowed me to legally trade in yet another commodity.

Update: Au contraire! I become an offender as soon as I leave the station, and am attacked immediately.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Can I become a licensed Arms Dealer? (nope)

Post by Nite Owl »

Have a look at the UNDOCUMENTED LAUNCH OXZ by Wildeblood which is designed to handle such situations. Be forewarned that there is not a 100% guarantee that you will always get away with it. Attempted Bribery of Station Officials remains an illegal act. This OXZ just gives a pilot an opportunity they did not have before.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Such an OXP should be part of the standard game installation. 😃
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Nite Owl wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:16 am
Have a look at the UNDOCUMENTED LAUNCH OXZ by Wildeblood which is designed to handle such situations. Be forewarned that there is not a 100% guarantee that you will always get away with it. Attempted Bribery of Station Officials remains an illegal act. This OXZ just gives a pilot an opportunity they did not have before.
Using Undocumented Launch there is actually a 100% guarantee that you will be marked as an offender for launching without filing a manifest. The player ship gets a 2 credit bounty, which gets halved to 1 credit when it makes the jump to the next system. My understanding at the time of its creation was that there was a threshold bounty below which Vipers would not bother shooting at the player ship, even if it was technically an offender. That may well be in error. Even if it was correct back then, the AIs have changed a lot since then. I've no idea how Vipers react to a player ship with 1 or 2 credit bounty nowadays.
But in any case, that 2 credit bounty is a lot less endangering to the player ship than the bounty for launching with firearms aboard would have been.
"Would somebody stop that bloody music!"
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

If you have Smugglers OXP loaded, I think you can buy a waiver allowing you to trade just the once in firearms (or other such commodities). Firearms also become legal in a number of systems.

But Smugglers does make trade rather more complex - you need to keep an eye out on your F6/F7 screens to see where all the various commodities are currently illegal...

Or, if you are interested in a piratical career, Phkb wrote another OXP which is buried at the back of this thread: Pirate Path or Occupation within Oolite
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?