Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Joysticks

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Joysticks - uncontrollable roll with no joystick

Post by arquebus »

RockDoctor wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:42 am
Is there a way to tell Oolite to "ignore all joystick inputs"?
Might this be helpful?

https://github.com/ViGEm/HidHide/releases
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

arquebus wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:48 pm
It might be, if I played on windows more often than just occasionally. That said, I'm not certain if I get the "joystick position circle-dot" when I'm on windows. I'll check that next time I re-boot.
I actually managed to assign all input to the Oolite joystick code to "unset". I tried a few days ago, got tangled in to a loop I couldn't get out of (don't ask me how, I was tangled into a loop and had no idea where I was), and kill -9'd my way out of it.

"HidHide" ... "HID" is something like "Human Interface Device", isn't it? I remember that being a buzz word for things that aren't quite mice, but provide pointers for user interactions with icons and windows - which includes joysticks.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

RockDoctor wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:14 pm
"HidHide" ... "HID" is something like "Human Interface Device", isn't it? I remember that being a buzz word for things that aren't quite mice, but provide pointers for user interactions with icons and windows - which includes joysticks.
Yeah the idea is that it lets you "disconnect" any devices that a program/game would treat as a controller. I have no idea if it will work on gyros, etc.
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

RockDoctor wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:14 pm
That said, I'm not certain if I get the "joystick position circle-dot" when I'm on windows. I'll check that next time I re-boot.
I'm not seeing that feature under windows, and I don't recall having installed anything to hide "HIDevices" from the system.
--
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

I knew I'd made a note of the accelerometer "name" somewhere. According to my notes (in a very random place) it's a
ST LIS3LV02DL Detected by SDL/ Elite as a joystick, but installed to provide
freefall detection to avoid head-crashing the hard drive.
If that' of any use to anyone.
The Oolite 1.90 distribution code detects it under Linux and gives me the "circle-dot" indicator, possibly moving the dot slightly as I tilt the laptop body ; the same version under Windows (10, won't run 11, and Billy sounds most aggrieved about me not caring) doesn't show the circle-dot symbol. Both are on the default HUD - I've never really got into choosing HUDs.

Does the "ST" indicate it's part of a SeaGate chipset ... no, it can't be, because the current HDD is a WD. Unless Seagate also do SATA controllers - not implausible.
--
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

XBox 360 Controller?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Apologies if this has been discussed before - I promise I did search the whole site for XBox first and then narrowed the search further...

Is it possible to use an XBox 360 controller in Oolite? I went to Joystick mapping in-game and it doesn't recognise any of my stick waggles or button presses so I'm thinking no, but just wanted to check.

I've got an old Logitech Extreme 3D Pro which seems, from forum discussions, to work OK, problem is, my current setup doesn't have the desk space the Logitech needs to do it justice.

I think the last time I played Oolite properly I had some generic Saitek/MadKatz controller that worked fine but that died a long time ago.

Any thoughts and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DH

Edit: Forgot to say I'm on Windows 10
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Joysticks

Post by phkb »

DaddyHoggy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:56 pm
Is it possible to use an XBox 360 controller in Oolite?
It should be possible. I’ve got some XBox one controllers lying around so I might have a go at setting one of them up and report what I find. The process should be similar for an XBox 360 controller.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

phkb wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:52 pm

It should be possible. I’ve got some XBox one controllers lying around so I might have a go at setting one of them up and report what I find. The process should be similar for an XBox 360 controller.
Thank you. I was surprised it didn't so I figured I was just being a numpty. So if you do work out what I'm doing wrong - that would be awesome.

DH
Selezen wrote:
phkb

Post by phkb »

DaddyHoggy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:58 pm
So if you do work out what I'm doing wrong - that would be awesome.
Question: USB connected or Wireless?
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Wired/USB (apologies for delayed response).
Selezen wrote:
phkb

Post by phkb »

DaddyHoggy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:47 pm
Wired/USB (apologies for delayed response).
When I direct connect my XBox One controller, it immediately shows up in Oolite as the current joystick. Does that not happen for you?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Maybe he chopped his wires in half with that sword of his.... ?

With that hood over his beak he might well have problems seeing where he is going...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

phkb wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:56 pm
When I direct connect my XBox One controller, it immediately shows up in Oolite as the current joystick. Does that not happen for you?
Nope - the XBox 360 Controller shows up as HIDI2C inside Oolite and none of the buttons or axes are recognised.

If I unplug the 360 controller and plug in my Extreme 3D Pro and restart Oolite - that shows up fine and can (and has been) mapped.

I know from work that one of the Simulations we use (Virtual Battlespace) - XBox One and XBox 360 controllers are both recognised by they are recognised as very different devices and are not interchangeable - so you can't map functions to buttons on an XBox One controller, swap it for a 360 controller and expect those buttons to work - they have to be remapped.

I guess the 360 controller is just too old for Oolite in its current form? Obviously Windows (still) recognises it, as does Steam, because I use it in lots of other games (including, for example Elite: Dangerous and Star Wars Squadrons).

It's not a problem if it doesn't work, I have the Logitech stick (not ideal) and I can always pick up a 3rd party XBox One controller.
Selezen wrote:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:00 pm
Maybe he chopped his wires in half with that sword of his.... ?

With that hood over his beak he might well have problems seeing where he is going...
Ironically, I currently have an eye infection (off to hospital tomorrow)! :shock: :lol:
Selezen wrote:
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

DaddyHoggy wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:57 pm
I guess the 360 controller is just too old for Oolite in its current form? Obviously Windows (still) recognises it, as does Steam, because I use it in lots of other games (including, for example Elite: Dangerous and Star Wars Squadrons).
I would guess the other way round: Oolite is too old to properly support the XBox controllers.
After all it is based on libSDL 1, while libSDL 2 has been out for more than 10 years.

https://www.libsdl.org/
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite