Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Support for Oolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Support for Oolite

Post by hiran »

There is [url=viewtopic.php?p=296338#p296338]a post[/quote] that made me think:

Oolite is available on multiple operating systems and extremely configurable. In case someone perceives odd behaviour often it is not even possible for those who want to support to know what is going on. It would help for sure if screenshots, logfiles or expansion sets could be shared easily. But up to now we do not have a standard location anyone can use. It is up to users to find something, and often enough the files are in no usable state (happened to me recently).

Thinking further, this forum technically can allow to add attachements to forum posts. It has been disabled, and very likely for good reasons. The database would have gone down by now if all the attachements were allowed. After all it has collected all the posts since it's inception 20 years ago.

But what if we configure one dedicated support forum to allow uploads and expire the posts and messages after one month? That should allow users to more easily show what they've got while at the same time limiting the growth. We could as well give it a try and see where it goes, revisiting this decision if need be. What do you think?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Support for Oolite

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:31 pm
But what if we configure one dedicated support forum to allow uploads and expire the posts and messages after one month? That should allow users to more easily show what they've got while at the same time limiting the growth. We could as well give it a try and see where it goes, revisiting this decision if need be. What do you think?
It's certainly worth an experiment. Even if we just allowed log files to be uploaded, that would help enormously, as very often end users don't know how to find somewhere online to load them, and they can be quite long after a gaming session.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Support for Oolite

Post by hiran »

Ok, I just created the Support Forum.
Let's see how it goes.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite