Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Finding some gold fills my cargo hold

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Laie
Average
Average

Finding some gold fills my cargo hold

Post by Laie »

Oolite 1.90, Linux:
I have 35t cargo space, and 34t of computers in the hold.
There is a battle.
The last enemy dissolves into a few cargo containers.
I pick up a container, it contains gold (not much, 7kg perhaps). I get a message that my hold is now full, the scoop shows the red chevron.

Calling up the 8-screen, I still have 34t of computers and (now) 12kg of gold and nothing else. At the bottom of the screen, it says "Load 35 of 35t".

I'm confused. Did the gold come with an otherwise empty container that still takes up cargo space? How do I get rid of it?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Finding some gold fills my cargo hold

Post by phkb »

Laie wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:31 pm
Did the gold come with an otherwise empty container that still takes up cargo space? How do I get rid of it?
Actually, yes. Scooped cargo will always take up 1t of space. For things like gold, platinum and gemstones, the space is taken up until you dock, at which point all the items are transferred to your safe, and the space is returned.

You can read about the vagaries of cargo marshalling, and what happens when you scoop cargo, here: Cargo marshalling
Laie
Average
Average

Post by Laie »

phkb wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:38 pm
You can read about the vagaries of cargo marshalling, and what happens when you scoop cargo, here: Cargo marshalling
Makes perfect sense, but shouldn't that somehow be made more transparent to the user? Second page lists all cargo in my hold and would be a good place to show a detailed list of how many containers of what I have in my hold.

"7kg gold -- 1t" would still be confusing, I have to admit, but I guess I would have figured it out on my own.

I can now chose between ejecting "computers" or "gold". I guess that ought to be a hint, one probably cannot dump gold from the safe (I never tried). Still, displaying "<amount of> gold" would also help.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Metals (gold and platinum) do strange things aboard ship. If you start hoarding them in your safe, don't go above 499kg.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Laie wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:57 pm
"7kg gold -- 1t" would still be confusing, I have to admit, but I guess I would have figured it out on my own.
We'd have to distinguish volume and mass - something that was never there in * lite universes.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite