Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Does anyone else ram other ships?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Does anyone else ram other ships?

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:02 am
Wildeblood wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:07 am
I suppose a javascript could compare PS.energy with PS.target.energy and issue an appropriate warning.
But is that really all that is involved? So all that guff on the PitViper wiki page about sharpness and hardened hull is complete and utter baloney?
Do we know whether sharpness or a hardened hull add up to energy? I would expect shields, armour or hardening does.
I would however not be surprised if the shape of the ship were swallowed by a collision box to ease calculation.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Does anyone else ram other ships?

Post by Wildeblood »

hiran wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:48 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:02 am
Wildeblood wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:07 am
I suppose a javascript could compare PS.energy with PS.target.energy and issue an appropriate warning.
But is that really all that is involved? So all that guff on the PitViper wiki page about sharpness and hardened hull is complete and utter baloney?
Do we know whether sharpness or a hardened hull add up to energy? I would expect shields, armour or hardening does.
I would however not be surprised if the shape of the ship were swallowed by a collision box to ease calculation.
Aren't "shields" just about dissipating heat from lasers, the star, and explosions? "Shields" sounds cooler than "coolers".*
I think ship energy is all that matters in an actual collision.

* Did you see that? How cool am I? 8)