Newbie questions

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

omoplata
Average
Average

Post by omoplata »

I have tried selling my starting ship for a cheap vintage ship, i think it was an adder. I installed some upgrades with all my cash but it when i tried to install a military laser it didnt work, nor any other laser/beam upgrade. Can anyone help with this?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

If it was a Vintage Adder (has a wire-frame paint job), then you can only fit a gun on the front. If it was a rusty one, then it should work.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
omoplata
Average
Average

Post by omoplata »

Ah right fair enough, how do i remove the standard beam then so i can fit a military one in?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Selecting Military Laser on the F3 screen and then Forward should replace the beam, as long as you have enough credits to buy the military.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
omoplata
Average
Average

Post by omoplata »

Ok thanks!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

BTW the Adder only has one Energy Bank, so you may find a Military is a bit much for it, as it drains the energy levels so quickly!
Brianetta
Competent
Competent

Post by Brianetta »

LittleBear wrote:
BTW the Adder only has one Energy Bank, so you may find a Military is a bit much for it, as it drains the energy levels so quickly!
Lasers drain energy?
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Yeah, same as using the ECM. They don't drain much and it quickly recharges, but if you only have one bank you notice it! Every time you fire even a pulse laser with an adder, the warning siren goes off as you have less than one bank left.