Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[WIP] GalCop Missions

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: [WIP] GalCop Missions

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:26 am
I'm wondering if Stranger's World might have rendered the Waypoint invisible somehow. This sun-shifting business... I did try replaying from this save and flew all the way from the witchpoint via the planet to the sun to refuel (over 15,000 km!), but again, saw nothing.
Theoretically, moving the sun shouldn't have any bearing on whether waypoints are created. I suspect an error might have occurred in the code before the waypoint setup was performed. I don't suppose you have this save game around anymore, do you?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version 0.6.9 has been released, which should address the issue where scooped Thargoid alloys were not counting towards the mission objective. I've also tried to add a visual component to alloys which have been flagged as having come from a destroyed Thargoid ship. Hopefully they will show in the HUD as "Thargoid Metal fragment", which should make it easier to distinguish between normal metal fragments.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

Mathematically challenged mission.

I was tasked to grab data from at least one telescope satellite.
The job showed on the F5 screen as '0' satellites.
There was one, and when I pulled the data, the state of the job did not change to 'done'.

Upshot, I have done 1 of 0, completed Infinity%, and somehow not done the job.

:idea: I'd like one of the no beers I have on the slate please barman!
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

I got that beer!!!

Good thing I'd saved prior to the fail. Hopefully I can manually pick the broken mission out of the save file somehow.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<sniggers> Welcome aboard, Commander!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb

Post by phkb »

MrFlibble wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:40 pm
Mathematically challenged mission.

I was tasked to grab data from at least one telescope satellite.
The job showed on the F5 screen as '0' satellites.
There was one, and when I pulled the data, the state of the job did not change to 'done'.

Upshot, I have done 1 of 0, completed Infinity%, and somehow not done the job.
That's ... um ... well, wow!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have a look to see how that could have happened.

And welcome aboard!
phkb

Post by phkb »

OK, bug found and squashed. It won't fix any telescope satellite missions in progress, but future missions will now do the calcs correctly.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

phkb wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:57 pm
OK, bug found and squashed. It won't fix any telescope satellite missions in progress, but future missions will now do the calcs correctly.
Most excellent. Installed. I've edited the broken mission out of my ongoing save.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

Having fun testing. Just did a "Collect Thargoid scrap" mission. Found some oddnesses.

I'd gathered exactly enough shards. On collecting the last shard, the notification said the same as previous shards, words to the effect "gathered a bit for the mission, processing, storing". No hint that mission status had changed. I checked the F5 screen and the mission showed as done, with instruction to return for reward.

So I blasted another warship for good measure, and gathered more scrap, wondering how it would appear when back at station. The first "extra" shard blinked up a mission status change alert, to which I shrugged and gathered all present shards and robots, and then checked F5 again. Mission no longer shows as done...

Code: Select all

Collect -2t of alloys or wreckage from destroyed Thargoid warships
Hmm. Not sure I can dump those!

Back at the station, the job shows as 111.8% done. Completion was possible.

If the metal shards were to appear as normal cargo somehow, then surplus could be ignored for mission counter, preventing >100% mission status, and wasted effort.

The mission shows done in F5 at the right point (required - got = 0), but only registers an in-game alert/notification of mission update when one too many is gathered ((required + 1) - got = 0) for notification.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Says programmer to himself: "No one would ever try to collect *more* than the required amount of scrap."
MrFlibble wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:41 pm
So I blasted another warship for good measure, and gathered more scrap
You are crazy, sir! And, seriously, thank you for taking the time to debug these missions, and doing things I hadn't expected.

I'll have to go through all the missions looking for the same flaw. As the mission isn't *broken* per se, I won't push an update straight away, in case you come across any other issues!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I've not done this one, but if one collects more than the minimum, why would a greater than 100% completion rate have to be wrong?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:11 pm
I've not done this one, but if one collects more than the minimum, why would a greater than 100% completion rate have to be wrong?
Not sure it's strictly wrong. It just made the logic circuits in my brain raise their virtual eyebrows. If the mission were to collect normal cargo, e.g. Thargoid robots, I'd expect 100% of the required amount to be taken from my hold on completion, no more, no less. Describing the job as more than done when 100% is all that's required/compensated seems peculiar. A plumber can't fit a tap 130%.

No biggie.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

MrFlibble wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:21 pm
Not sure it's strictly wrong. It just made the logic circuits in my brain raise their virtual eyebrows. If the mission were to collect normal cargo, e.g. Thargoid robots, I'd expect 100% of the required amount to be taken from my hold on completion, no more, no less. Describing the job as more than done when 100% is all that's required/compensated seems peculiar. A plumber can't fit a tap 130%.

No biggie.
But if I ask him to fit 3 taps and he then fits a fourth as well...

Personally speaking, he'd have done more than I asked him to, so I'd give him a substantial tip.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

MrFlibble wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:41 pm
Having fun testing. Just did a "Collect Thargoid scrap" mission. Found some oddnesses.
So I blasted another warship for good measure, and gathered more scrap, wondering how it would appear when back at station. The first "extra" shard blinked up a mission status change alert, to which I shrugged and gathered all present shards and robots, and then checked F5 again. Mission no longer shows as done...

Code: Select all

Collect -2t of alloys or wreckage from destroyed Thargoid warships
Hmm. Not sure I can dump those!
My concern is if the mission is done but you can't sell (or at least dump) the special cargo.

Long-term, we may want to think about how "crowded" our save games become.
I've seen some that are over 1 MB in size.
Not a big deal on a TB capacity drive, but posting all of a save game's text here is.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Completion is a categorical or absolute state; something either is, or is not, complete. (A Boolean variable in this context.) But, before it is achieved, "completion" can also refer to a measure of completion: e.g. something is 50% complete.

That is to say, "complete" has one meaning and no measure, but the counterpoint can be either "not complete" (which is absolute and has no measure) or "partly complete", which can be measured.

This problem arises because partial completion is measured with an arithmetic operation (done/todo), but completion needs to be measured with a comparison (done >= todo).