Is there an OXP which keeps a maintenance record?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Is there an OXP which keeps a maintenance record?

Post by Wildeblood »

I'm looking for an OXP that keeps a log of every transaction that occurs on the F3 page? Call it maintenance log, service history, something like that. Does such a thing already exist? Could any kind soul offer me a pointer to such a thing?
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Is there an OXP which keeps a maintenance record?

Post by phkb »

The Email system sends you an email whenever you purchase something, equipment or maintenance.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

And it is one of the handful of things which the Commander's Log OXP records. But only sometimes, if I recall (perhaps not at OXP stations?)

And the maintenance e-mail is a good one. Well worth reading.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

phkb wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:01 am
The Email system sends you an email whenever you purchase something, equipment or maintenance.
Speaking of communication, I just said to Cholly earlier, that if this BB goes down permanently one day I expected we'd catch up in the comments of your youtube video. Then I went to check on it, and somewhere along the way you've turned off comments. cjbvbkcbdxjfjg <--- If you have the secret Thargoid decoder, you'll know this spells muppet in Thargoidese. Who turns off comments?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:36 pm
And it is one of the handful of things which the Commander's Log OXP records. But only sometimes, if I recall (perhaps not at OXP stations?)
Good suggestion, ta, but I've already looked at that one. I was hoping there might be something like that in look and feel, but that logs everything happening on F3. It's not really important, so thank you both for replying.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
phkb

Post by phkb »

Wildeblood wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:52 pm
Speaking of communication, I just said to Cholly earlier, that if this BB goes down permanently one day I expected we'd catch up in the comments of your youtube video. Then I went to check on it, and somewhere along the way you've turned off comments. cjbvbkcbdxjfjg <--- If you have the secret Thargoid decoder, you'll know this spells muppet in Thargoidese. Who turns off comments?
Not intentionally. I hit the “Made for kids” option, which apparently also turns off comments. Who knew?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

That's excellent, isn't it. Could you point me to an optimum example of an OXP wherein someone has used that exactly as you intended? I too, would like to join in the fun, and send emails to players, but I'll need a good example to copy from.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Wildeblood wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:10 am
That's excellent, isn't it. Could you point me to an optimum example of an OXP wherein someone has used that exactly as you intended? I too, would like to join in the fun, and send emails to players, but I'll need a good example to copy from.
GalCop Missions offers the occasional mission using the more complex two-way e-mails (most of the missions come through the F4 Screen Bulletin Board).

Since you suffer from a sense of humour (shock! horror!!), you might well enjoy The Galactic Almanac's use of the e-mail system (not quite as sophisticated, if I recall correctly, but a lot of fun). You will want to read your GNN messages too. There might be a two-way e-mail right at the end of the mission. I forget, alas.

But dear old Phkb has been rejigging some of the old missions: Love Cats and more importantly, Cataclysm. He can tell you about those.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Wildeblood wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:10 am
In the Email System package itself is another world script, "galcopadmin.js", which does a lot or emailing for a variety of different game events. You could also check out "Home System", which send a couple of emails. For complex examples, yes, you can try GalCop Missions, but that beast got quite complex and deciphering it might not be straight forward.

I guess it comes down to how complex do you want to make it. Sending an email, with no other triggers required, so the player gets a message in their inbox is pretty easy. But you can have multiple "reply" options set up, which trigger function calls, and so on. If you've got something specific in mind, I can give you a rough guide on what to do.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

phkb wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:58 am
I guess it comes down to how complex do you want to make it. Sending an email, with no other triggers required, so the player gets a message in their inbox is pretty easy. But you can have multiple "reply" options set up, which trigger function calls, and so on. If you've got something specific in mind, I can give you a rough guide on what to do.
Just your basic, one-off, "Congratulations you are now the proud owner of..."
Or maybe, two of. With a traceroute back to Vetitice. Nothing interactive.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Something like this then:

Code: Select all

let e = worldScripts.EmailSystem;
    if (e) {
        e.$createEmail({
            sender:"Sender's name",
            subject:"Email subject",
            date:clock.adjustedSeconds,
            sentFrom:100, // system id for Vetitice
        });
    }
That should do it. You could change the time it was sent to be in the past a bit, or, if you send it with a future date, the email system will hold it and only deliver it to the player after the time expires.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

phkb wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:52 am
Something like this then:
That should do it.
Smooth. Ta. Sorry for calling you a muppet.
phkb

Post by phkb »

No worries. Glad I could help.