griff SpecGloss ships

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: griff SpecGloss ships

Post by cbr »

(retry)

I thought it was nice detail, some kind of special galcop coating...
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

cbr wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:10 pm
(retry)

I thought it was nice detail, some kind of special galcop coating...
I pushed the green-ness a bit too far i think :), but it might be fun to keep these "impossible materials" in mind for the Thargoids :)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Thargoids in the core game already use those impossible materials. Looking forward to what you will come up with when their turn for high-polification comes.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Love that cockpit 8)

I honestly think that these just keep getting better. I though that the sidewinder was great, the mkI was the best we've ever had IMHO, the gecko a marvel and now this...

If the trend continues then please leave the asp and the fer de lance until last as they tend to be amongst the worst looking/most disappointing in any shipset. It would make a nice change for them to look the most impressive :P
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Uploaded an Adder, i think it all works, rushing a bit to upload from work as its much faster than from home and it's a bigger oxp than usual as i stuffed in a few colour variations,some of them a bit lurid so will probably need fixing :)

Download folder (google drive): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
grab this file for oolite: griff_HP_Adder_Oolite_Materials_v0.2.zip
and/or this file griff_HP_Adder_modding _resources.zip for all the objets and textures to make your own version :)

Edit: actually, don't bother getting this upload, i don't think the textures have exported properly, stuff looks a bit weird in game like some of the metal stuff isn't working in the textures

Edit2: Turned out the textures were mostly OK, it was just my eyes i think! Have re-uploaded the oxp as v0.2, added an extra colour variant, tweaked some of the paint colours in the other versions
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Griff wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:35 pm
Uploaded an Adder, i think it all works

Are there expanding wings? Actually - do any of Oolite's Adders feature expanding wings?
the Adder-class craft has dual atmospheric-spatial capability and is often used by smugglers. Pregg's "wingfolding" system permits landing on planetary surfaces. (https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Adder_(classic))
Oh! And yes, it does indeed look quite superb.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

no it's doesn't change shape at all unfortunately, i'm trying to think if any OXP ships do.. maybe the user "thargoid" created something once, sounds like something they may have managed to script, they came up will all sorts of cool stuff, docking bay doors that slid open and things if i remember correctly
There's some ships that use vertex shaders to move the geometry around in the object and deform them... the cloak on the halloween witch has a wave effect on it like it's blowing in the wind, and the strange looking boa i made with the turrets on it - they recoil when they fire, just some simple stuff was all i could cope with as whenever i tried rotating stuff in the shader the lighting broke as i couldn't work out how to re-calcule the newly rotated polygon normals :lol:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Griff wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:59 am
no it's doesn't change shape at all unfortunately, i'm trying to think if any OXP ships do.. maybe the user "thargoid" created something once, sounds like something they may have managed to script, they came up will all sorts of cool stuff, docking bay doors that slid open and things if i remember correctly
There's some ships that use vertex shaders to move the geometry around in the object and deform them... the cloak on the halloween witch has a wave effect on it like it's blowing in the wind, and the strange looking boa i made with the turrets on it - they recoil when they fire, just some simple stuff was all i could cope with as whenever i tried rotating stuff in the shader the lighting broke as i couldn't work out how to re-calculate the newly rotated polygon normals :lol:
My trawling through our wiki/BB unearthed the following:

- Weeviloid Hunter (Aegidian's demonstration OXP)
- Imperial Courier with revolving nacelles
- Ramon's Anaconda with your docking bay doors

- Z GrOovy HPC pack (Dertien - retractable landing gear & other goodies)
- Thargoid's writhing Stellar Serpents & Butterflies with flapping wings

- Transhab stations (revolving rotor)
- Zieman's ZSuperIco station - revolving shells within shells
- Wildships (lifts moving inside the arms of some of the various stations)

There are probably others too

- possibly Generation ships (revolving middle bits?)

ZSuperIco station:
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Added a Cobra III to the download folder, it's a reworking of one i made ages ago with a much lower polygon count this time and textured to match the other spec gloss ships

just grab the .oxp for playing in game, the resources download in the same folder is just the mesh object and textures in easier formats to pick apart for modding it's not needed for gameplay :)

Download folder
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Looks familiar but fits very well alongside your latest stuff.
That panneling looks really good.

BTW, love the 'roof-rack' on the adder :P
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Wow - the Cobra III looks superb - well done Griff.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks guys, its paint scheme still makes it look like a pair of y-front underpants though, should have fixed that really, this time round. :lol:
Redspear wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:21 pm
BTW, love the 'roof-rack' on the adder :P
Ha yeah, i took a few details like the roof rack and the lamps from those safari jeeps you see on TV, usually when someone's pissed off a lion or a rhino or something and are reversing away fast enough for the mobile phone footage to make the news :lol:
edit: fixed typos
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:53 pm
Griff wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:59 am
no it's doesn't change shape at all unfortunately, i'm trying to think if any OXP ships do..
My trawling through our wiki/BB unearthed the following:
There are probably others too
To add to your list, Killer Wolf once made an animated station buoy with a spinning gimbal design.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Wildeblood wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:30 pm
To add to your list, Killer Wolf once made an animated station buoy with a spinning gimbal design.
Sothis:

Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Griff wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:24 pm
i took a few details like the roof rack and the lamps from those safari jeeps you see on TV
Now you mention it, I can see it in the frame around the cockpit. I don't know what that's called on a jeep... 'roll bars' ???