[UPDATE RELEASE] - Thargoid Witchspace Drive 0.9.4 20/4/12

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: [UPDATE RELEASE] - Thargoid Witchspace Drive 0.9.4 20/4/12

Post by Norby »

Duggan wrote:
Can I get One of these that will work in the latest release please :)
If you would like to enable TAF in 1.84 then apply this patch or a similar one from the official download page.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Thank you Commander Norby that seems to have done the trick :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Just One small thing Commander Norby ...The patch you kindly provided seems to provide a free Trumble on loading a saved game which is a little inconvenient :)
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Duggan wrote:
The patch you kindly provided seems to provide a free Trumble on loading a saved game
Maybe the drive is Trumble-powered? :D
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Duggan wrote:
seems to provide a free Trumble on loading a saved game
It is a specific savegame or affect any saved game at you?
Could you reproduce the problem with a game which saved without trumbles before the update?
If yes then please send the related save file to the core developers.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

The sacrifices we make to get to unreachable systems , at times , seem hardly worth it ..This is ostensibly the only method I have I ever used to get to Oserati...But...Oserati is not the be all and end all... So it can whistle :)
Runghold
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Runghold »

Hi there
Norby wrote:
Rustem wrote:
what is edit in base script to possible use it in oolite 1.82?
There are more solutions, one of them is enough:

1. Install developer release of 1.82. This way offer time acceleration.
I installed developer release of 1.84 (x86). Besides offering time acceleration it dropped my framerate down to 11 after launching from station and to 13 in witchspace (after forcing a misjump).
Norby wrote:
2. Install [wiki]OXPConfig[/wiki] and flip the dynamicTAF setting of this OXP to false.

3. Do the same in the 26. line in murphy-thargoid-drive.js .
Doing the latter did not seem to have any effect, but editing line 29:

Code: Select all

this.dynamicTAF = true; // varies TAF during jumps to improve user experience of travel times.
did the trick (enabling TAF)

Well, i tried each one of these three ways (not at the same time, but after each other, successfully enabling TAF. But when trying to jump to the prodigal suns in G3 (Atlaar or Ditere - unreachable from the rest of the galaxy) the game just says: "No valid route to target system." :-(

Norby wrote:
Duggan wrote:
seems to provide a free Trumble on loading a saved game
It is a specific savegame or affect any saved game at you?
Could you reproduce the problem with a game which saved without trumbles before the update?
If yes then please send the related save file to the core developers.
No need for that. Just read
murphy-thargoid-drive.js, line 35:

this.cheat = false; // if true player is awarded a fully functional Thargoid Witchspace Drive with the 'best' parameters at startUp. If the game is saved it will be removed again on reloading the save game, and replaced by some Trumbles.... ;-)
and lines 53 to 60:

if (this.driveCounter === 5) // drive installed by cheat mode
	{
		player.ship.removeEquipment("EQ_MURPH_THARGOID_DRIVE");
		player.ship.awardEquipment("EQ_TRUMBLE");
		this.cheat = false;
		this.driveCounter = 0;
		if(this.loggingEnabled){log(this.name,"Thargoid Witchspace Drive previously awarded in cheat mode removed, and replaced with a special gift.");}
	}
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Runghold wrote:
I installed developer release of 1.84 (x86). Besides offering time acceleration it dropped my framerate down to 11 after launching from station and to 13 in witchspace (after forcing a misjump).
This seems a bit strange. The dev release is supposed to have extra sanity checks code that may sometimes affect performance, but not by that much. Are you by any chance on an NVidia gfx card with Threaded Optimization enabled in the NVidia control panel?
Runghold
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Runghold »

Yes, Threaded Optimization ("Threaded-Optimierung") is set to "Auto".
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Try setting it to "Off" for Oolite (you may want to create a profile for it). This option is known to cause not only performance issues, but crashes as well in some cases. This is not only with Oolite, but with many other games too. There are lots of reports about it if you are interested to google it.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Aye - and welcome aboard.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Runghold
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Runghold »

another_commander wrote:
Try setting it to "Off" for Oolite (you may want to create a profile for it). This option is known to cause not only performance issues, but crashes as well in some cases. This is not only with Oolite, but with many other games too. There are lots of reports about it if you are interested to google it.
I will try that. As i did not find an official way to unintall the patch, i found a workaround: i made a second install of Oolite, removed the additional file in the original installation (which did not help) and then copied the unpatched oolite.exe over the patched one. So i could play normally. So i have to reinstall the patch first tomorrow.

[Edit:]
Couldn't wait for it, so i just made it: Reinstalled patch and set Threaded Optimization to "off". Now playing the dev version at a good framerate. Thank you :-)
[/Edit]
Cody wrote:
Aye - and welcome aboard.
Thank you, Sir!
Runghold
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Runghold »

I found an interesting bug: Right after having fitted the third (there are four) version of the Thargoid Witchspace Drive, the option to fit the drive still was in the F3 Screen (also after saving/reloading). Using it installed the fourth (and final, best) version of the drive. But even using the best version of the drive, the lost twins in G3 stay unreachable:
Runghold wrote:
But when trying to jump to the prodigal suns in G3 (Atlaar or Ditere - unreachable from the rest of the galaxy) the game just says: "No valid route to target system." :-(
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[UPDATE RELEASE] - Thargoid Witchspace Drive 0.9.5 2024 BETA

Post by Switeck »

Runghold wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:34 am
But when trying to jump to the prodigal suns in G3 (Atlaar or Ditere - unreachable from the rest of the galaxy) the game just says: "No valid route to target system." :-(
The method Thargoid Witchspace Drive uses cannot reach those, nor do I know of any same-chart way of visiting the disconnected system pairs in Galactic Chart 6...but all of them can be reached using a "reprogrammed" Galactic Hyperdrive -- just remember to carry along at least 1 portable Galactic Hyperdrive Unit (GalDrivePod) ...another game add-on equipment.

I've been testing Thargoid Witchspace Drive OXP some more.
...especially trying to test it against my own jumping OXPs.

Oresrati in Galactic Chart 8 is a hard place to get to, but this is ridiculous:
Arustea is less than 2 light-years from Aatdire, yet starting from Arustea ...Thargoid Witchspace Drive insists on doing about 50 misjumps towards Aatdire before going further along the route to Oresrati!

I know how and why this happens, although confirming cause-and-effect took adding a few log statements in its code to debug and test workaround methods.

Instead of making Thargoid Witchspace Drive never have this problem, I made the workarounds only work with the most upgraded version of the Thargoid Witchspace Drive which doesn't require being in interstellar space to work.

There is also minor improved routes across the Great Rift in Gal. Chart 7 and routes to Oresrati in Gal. Chart 8....BUT!
You now have to unlock special routes by getting improved versions of the Thargoid Witchspace Drive.

My current modified test version of Thargoid Witchspace Drive OXP can be downloaded here:
https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/File: ... 4_beta.oxz
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

This piece of equipment strikes me as rather player-centric.
1) The business of the chance of your getting it depending on your kill score seems bizarre
2) The improvements in the versions you end up with as you find more and more of them also seems ridiculous. Even if the Thargoids are improving their technology - will they really do it that quickly and would you really get the latest model each time?

Might it not be better to change these aspects of the OXP?

1) Improvements in chance should not depend on kill score. Maybe the presence of more Thargoids (more detritus)? Or fewer (more undamaged detritus)? Or one of the Thargoid OXPs might be relevant here. I'm no expert in matters Thargoidian, sorry.

2) Perhaps the more you find - coupled with ones from more exotic OXP Thargoids (battleships, gruntbugglies, etc) - should allow your anarchic engineer to tweak what you have and improve it.

Or maybe one could hear of a better engineer elsewhere... "Overheard in the bar: Swearteq Squanderbeg is renowned for his expertise in Thargoid equipment. His workshop is on the miner's Rock Hermit at Ararus. Be warned - he charges a lot for working with illegal mechanisms. Or you could try Timorous Tcholly the Terpsichorean in Lesser Walshingham on Digebiti. He has a workshop on the northern edge of the city by the Department of the Philosophy of the History of Philosophy at the University there. You know he's drunk half the time?"
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?