Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by RockDoctor »

ffutures wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:42 am
Another one I found by accident - I thought I remembered a Superman story with an atomic-fuelled villain created by a reactor accident - couldn't find that, but did find Pozharnov, a small, abandoned city in Russia evacuated after a 1987 meltdown and later used as an alien base for an invasion of Earth. Appeared in comics and in the dire Justice League film.

https://dcextendeduniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Pozharnov

Sorry, still no exploding reactors!
  • Answer #1 was ffutures with the Torchwood boy, girls, and everything in between and exterior doing Cardiff. (For some reason I almost wrote "Glasgow" there ; but the Weevils getting kicked about on Saturday Night Sauchiehall Street would have been a bit un-BBC.)
  • Disembodied has #2 with Swanrick/ Drift/ Philly-TMI.
  • Adjudication needed - can ffutures have both #1 and #3 with this DC-Extended-Universe entry. Also, since I don't follow the movie universes very closely, is "DC-Extended" on universe or many, for the purposes of this game. ffutures #3 pending.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Nite Owl wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:14 am
Once again, the lowest hanging fruit possible.

THE CHINA SYNDROME

Although it was a fairly good movie.
  • Answer #1 was ffutures with the Torchwood boy, girls, and everything in between and exterior doing Cardiff. (For some reason I almost wrote "Glasgow" there ; but the Weevils getting kicked about on Saturday Night Sauchiehall Street would have been a bit un-BBC.)
  • Disembodied has #2 with Swanrick/ Drift/ Philly-TMI.
  • Adjudication needed - can ffutures have both #1 and #3 with this DC-Extended-Universe entry? Also, since I don't follow the movie universes very closely, is "DC-Extended" one universe or many, for the purposes of this game. ffutures #3 pending.
  • #3 or #4 (depending on the adjudication) is Nite Owl with the low-hanging fruit - very cruel way to describe Jane Fonda! - of the China Syndrome.
A propos very little, I wonder what the actual antipode of TMI is? Let's see ... 40°9′14″N 76°43′29″W is TMI, so it's antipode is 40°9′14″S 103°17'31"E, which is going to be ... Western Australia? Sea, zoom out, sea (several times). About 1000km SW of Perth, WA.

Oh, hang on - does anyone have a Hollywood scriptwriter on speed dial? That's suspiciously close to where flight MH370 disappeared. Certainly suspicious enough for Hollywood. Or even Bollywood, for a musical alien invasion movie. :mrgreen: I always suspected the amount of effort they put into the seabed searches, compared to the Air France disappearance a few years earlier.

And still nobody has worked out the Asimov reference.

(music_notes)Deck the tree with poisoned chalices(/music_notes)
--
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

I'm guessing that the Asimov reference you're after is the Earth becoming radioactive and uninhabitable at some point between the first two robot books and the founding of the Galactic Empire in the Foundation series.

The trouble is that if I recall correctly that turns out to be a deliberate act of seeding the Earth with something that makes the planet more radioactive rather than a reactor blowing up.

OK, checked Wikipedia, it's in Robots and Empire - "Levular Mandamus.. ..plans to destroy the population of the Earth by a newly developed weapon, the "nuclear intensifier", with which to accelerate the natural radioactive decay in the upper crust of the Earth, thereby making the surface of the Earth radioactive." Although residual radiation around Three Mile Island is mentioned in Wikipedia, so far as I know reactors aren't involved directly. Since I remember the book as pretty much unreadable I can't verify that, I gave it to a charity shop shortly after I gave up on it.
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

ffutures wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:35 pm
I'm guessing that the Asimov reference you're after is the Earth becoming radioactive and uninhabitable at some point between the first two robot books and the founding of the Galactic Empire in the Foundation series.

Nope, that's not the event that I was thinking of. Same universe - didn't Asimov try to tie all of his fiction into one universe ? - but at the other end of his writing career. Off the top of my head, within spitting distance of 1952.
As you say, the event was politically ambiguous - I'm typing that as one of the this year's Nobel Laureates for the COVID vaccines is talking about his wife and daughter getting abused by anti-vaxx idiots - but the event I'm thinking of was an unambiguous "accident". The quote marks on `"accident" ' being there because almost accidents have predictable priors in poor training, inadequate controls, and insufficient understanding of the technology involved.

I'm not even sure if I read that book. The first one or two of Asimov's "return to Foundation" stories were readable, and I've read them. But after that ... it would only be if they turned up on the library shelves, and then only if I couldn't find anything more appealing.
--
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Another clue (since I'm re-reading that classic, and nobody seems to be taking my steering).
In the book that I'm thinking of, on of the incidents was described as a meltdown. There was another explosion not specified as a meltdown, but also politically important. But I'm only counting the meltdown.

When did the term "meltdown" enter English? Even the rather peculiar English of SF authors who worked for the military (if not the Manhattan Project) during the Great Patriotic War (Mk2). By the time this was first published, Sellafield (Winscale/ Calder Hall) had yet to have it's first little incident. Was there a Big Bad Thing that happened in the States which was public knowledge by the Korean War?
Wiki tells me ... The BORAX-1 test led to a (deliberate) meltdown, but that's too late to have been in the general public's version of English by the publication. (And as a biochemist in a shipyard, the Good Doctor was unlikely to have a nuclear clearance.) The Canadian NRX meltdown was just barely within the credible time interval to have been in the language for Asimov to use, but would his audience have understood? Apparently, Jimmy Carter, future president, was part of the clean-up crew. That would have made the War Room (no fighting!) an interesting place during TMI.
Or ... is my copy one that was edited later? It has a prelude that refers to events in Asimov's late 1970s and early 1980s life - was he in the habit of retconning new editions of his works?
I can't think of a chemical process which Asimov would have been likely to work with that would have featured a "melt down". There are plenty of chemical reactions that can exponentially accelerate, but outside the field of explosives, generally you engineer-out that possibility. Putting reactants into solution with considerable excess of solvent is one common technique for damping down such possibilities - by which point control of pumping/ mixing gives quite fine control over reaction rates. The process of chemical education is in no small part about encouraging people to learn to think ahead of such exponential events and prevent them happening. I can't see Asimov having had the nous to invent the term. So ... the edition I have must have a retconned meltdown in it.
When someone works out what the original book/ universe was, maybe someone has an older edition pre-retconning. My retconned edition is a digital edition citing dates into the mid-1990s, but with an internal terminus post quem of October 1982.
--
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

OK, this seems to have stalled.
I'm going to pass the Chalice of Lice (yum!) to NiteOwl for grabbing the low-hanging but indubitably correct "China Syndrome", but props and MBPs to ffutures for taking two bites at the cherry.
The missing explosion that I was looking for was in Asimov's Foundation. Actually there were two. In the first, Salvor Hardin is discussing with the lisping Empire representative a recent power plant explosion which took out most of a city, and the Empire's response being to consider restricting use of nuclear power :
As they left the room, Hardin said suddenly, "Milord, may I ask a question?"
Lord Dorwin smiled blandly and emphasized his answer with a gracious flutter of the hand. "Cuhtainly, my deah fellow. Only too happy to be of suhvice. If I can help you in any way fwom my pooah stoah of knowledge-"
"It isn't exactly about archaeology, milord."
"No?"
"No. It's this: Last year we received news here in Terminus about the meltdown of a power plant on Planet V of Gamma Andromeda. We got the barest outline of the accident – no details at all. I wonder if you could tell me exactly what happened."
Pirenne's mouth twisted. "I wonder you annoy his lordship with questions on totally irrelevant subjects."
"Not at all, Doctah Piwenne," interceded the chancellor. "It is quite all wight. Theah isn't much to say concuhning it in any case. The powah plant did undergo meltdown and it was quite a catastwophe, y'know. I believe wadiatsen damage. Weally, the govuhnment is sewiously considewing placing seveah westwictions upon the indiscwiminate use of nucleah powah – though that is not a thing for genewal publication, y'know."
But that is moderately concerning, because the book was published in about 1952 (with previous appearances serialised in pulp magazines), and as far as I can tell the concept of a "meltdown" didn't enter public use until the late 60s or so. My copy of the book is from about 1990.
A little later there is a conversation (still about Anacreon) between one "Bort" and one "Sermak"
"Here it is." Bort was a trifle disconcerted, but didn't show it. "The religion – which the Foundation has fostered and encouraged, mind you – is built on on strictly authoritarian lines. The priesthood has sole control of the instruments of science we have given Anacreon, but they've learned to handle these tools only empirically. They believe in this religion entirely, and in the ... uh ... spiritual value of the power they handle. For instance, two months ago some fool tampered with the power plant in the Thessalekian Temple – one of the large ones. He contaminated the city, of course. It was considered divine vengeance by everyone, including the priests."
Either one would have done for me (I'd forgotten that there were TWO examples in the same book!).
--
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Nothing ground breaking comes to mind so let us celebrate The Thargoids. Name five Science Fiction works which feature larger than normal Insects. They do NOT have to be Godzilla sized but something of that size would be an acceptable answer. Usual rules, one answer per post, and citation is a good thing since a full five is not in my head at the moment. One MBP if you do come up with one of the ones in my head at the moment. Two MBPs if you come up with the one that is a particular favorite of mine. Good Luck.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Nite Owl wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:54 pm
Name five Science Fiction works which feature larger than normal Insects.
Alan Dean Foster's Nor Crystal Tears features first contact between humanity and the insectoid Thranx. An adult Thranx is about 1.5m tall.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nor_Crystal_Tears
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

I see the Thranx and raise you some REALLY big mutant ants, in the film Them! (1954)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Them!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047573/

The whole film is on line if you want to see it.
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Nite Owl wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:54 pm
Nothing ground breaking comes to mind so let us celebrate The Thargoids. Name five Science Fiction works which feature larger than normal Insects. They do NOT have to be Godzilla sized but something of that size would be an acceptable answer. Usual rules, one answer per post, and citation is a good thing since a full five is not in my head at the moment. One MBP if you do come up with one of the ones in my head at the moment. Two MBPs if you come up with the one that is a particular favorite of mine. Good Luck.
Larry Niven's non-Known Space series of short stories (later collected into the "Draco Tavern" book) set around the (mis-)adventures of the barman at the spaceport's nominal bar has the (pardon my speelung) Chirpisthra as major protagonists. The "Chirps" are approximately human-size insectoid aliens, and get their rocks off on electrical "sparkers", not alcohol. That's number 3, isn't it?
Wiki link
--
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

All three of the previous posts are acceptable answers. THEM! earns two MBPs for ffutures as the answer that qualifies as a personal favorite. Two more to go before this Chalice of Lice gets passed on and away from my increasingly itchy self. If this takes too long a plexiglass box my have to be ordered or perhaps a bug bomb.

spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

as number 4 may i proffer the most lowliest of hanging fruit and suggest "Starship Troopers"? i do believe there were a few rather large bugs in it....
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Starship Troopers definitely qualifies. Two MBPs to you spud42. One for giving an answer that was originally in my head when forming the question and a second for keeping the "low hanging fruit" thing alive while the show was under my command. One to go.

By the by the Chalice has been deloused but some locusts have moved in so anti plague protocols are now in place. Trying to avoid invasive species contamination but may not have another option.

RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

spud42 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:04 pm
as number 4 may i proffer the most lowliest of hanging fruit and suggest "Starship Troopers"? i do believe there were a few rather large bugs in it....
The film, certainly. I don't recall the book mentioning the nature of the adversary though. Not that I remember much of the book beyond the parody of every boot-camp movie ever.
On which subject, "Aliens" is on the gogglebox.
--
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK - I'll try another - Dr. Prilicla from James White's Sector General series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sector_General

To quote Wikipedia

A large but fragile winged insect-like being from the very low-gravity planet Cinruss. In addition to being highly skilled in the more delicate types of surgery, Prilicla is an empath and therefore can sense the emotions of most other lifeforms including many non-intelligent animals. Its tact and the desire of colleagues to avoid distressing it by displaying negative emotions generally makes others willing to follow its advice – a pattern that one reviewer described as "a pleasant Machiavellian streak." Despite its natural timidity and the distress that other beings' anger, fear and pain cause it, Prilicla uses its empathic ability in prolonged searches for survivors of space combat and accidents.

Basically a giant intelligent dragonfly, I think its body is about a foot long with a wingspan of a couple of feet, can't remember exactly. That's much bigger than the Earth equivalent, though small compared to the others we've discussed. Has to use an antigravity gizmo in most environments since it would be crushed at 1g, let alone the 3g or more some aliens of this series take for granted.