Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

WebGPU Reboot

Information, contacts and source code for ports to Linux, Windows, etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

0b1
Above Average
Above Average

WebGPU Reboot

Post by 0b1 »

After lots of encouragement and support in the WebGL topic, I have decided to begin porting my efforts to WebGPU. I will also be setting up a domain name and dedicated server to handle some of the back-end logic.

Front end code will be pure ES6+ JS and back-end will be in pure Node.js. Data, by and large, will be stored as YAML, and transported as JSON. If I need a database, I will be using MongoDB. By using metadata-driven development, code will be kept minimal, testable, and reusable.

It will take me a few weeks to get set up, but if anyone wants to be involved in coding, generating new models, planets, etc., web design, or anything else, please let me know - now or in the future. I know most of us don't have a lot of spare time and energy, so expectations around progress will be modest. All I ask is that you complete what you commit to, and encourage commitment to very small amounts of work at a time.

To start the ball rolling, I'd like to ask everyone:
- What original features of Oolite (or even Elite) are most worth keeping?
- What features are missing, or what new features should be a priority?
(I mentioned several possible new features in the WebGL topic, but wanted to hear from our members)

Cheers!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: WebGPU Reboot

Post by Cholmondely »

0b1 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:54 am
To start the ball rolling, I'd like to ask everyone:
- What original features of Oolite (or even Elite) are most worth keeping?
- What features are missing, or what new features should be a priority?
(I mentioned several possible new features in the WebGL topic, but wanted to hear from our members)

Cheers!
Just off the top of my head, I would have to say that the original features of Oolite most worth keeping are the ability to incorporate oxps. The ability to add equipment, Market Observer, Vimana HUDs, Hathor stations, Deep Space Dredgers, the Galactic Navy, missions, Stranger's World, Povray Planets, etc and create the game I wish to play in is the big thing for me.

Having said that, I am fully aware that there is a lot going in under the surface of the Vanilla game of which I am ignorant (player reputations, NPC roles, etc).

Missing features for me are

1) seeming inability to manage astronomical features - black holes, binary star systems, 3D galaxies on the F6 screen
2) inability to fly short distances (eg. the 0ly from G5 Zaenza to Lazaso) without needing to hyperjump
3) inability to see a map of the current solar system with all the planets and stations

Reference:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=275434#p275434 (note that this post is 2 years old and Phkb has solved the keypress issue in recent nightlies)
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: WebGPU Reboot

Post by Cholmondely »

0b1 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:54 am
Cheers!
How goes it?

Relevant Links to Ob1's browser-based version of Elite/Oolite:

Obelite: https://0bone.github.io/obelite/src/

Under the hood: https://github.com/0bOne/obelite
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?