Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite Standard Shield levels

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

threepe
Competent
Competent

Oolite Standard Shield levels

Post by threepe »

Is there a way to see the different shield stats that are available to the player in the standard game. I've just upgraded my shields to Military grade, but wondered just how much better they are compared to the others on the market.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Oolite Standard Shield levels

Post by phkb »

Most OXP's that display shield info (eg Combat MFD or some of the HUDs) will only display a percentage, rather than a number. I'm not aware of anything that would give you an actual number value. Someone else might have a suggestion though.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

threepe wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:05 pm
Is there a way to see the different shield stats that are available to the player in the standard game. I've just upgraded my shields to Military grade, but wondered just how much better they are compared to the others on the market.
I wonder if the Numeric HUDs might give the actual values?

https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Numeric_Style_HUDs

and the combatMFD also seems to give a value here (top left MFD):

Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
threepe
Competent
Competent

Post by threepe »

I will give that a go, would just be nice to know what you are paying for. For example, are military shields 10% better or 50%, its hard to know withotu the facts being there.

I will have a fiddle with some HUDS over the next few days to see what I can find, thanks for the suggestion
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

threepe wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:51 am
I will give that a go, would just be nice to know what you are paying for. For example, are military shields 10% better or 50%, its hard to know withotu the facts being there.

I will have a fiddle with some HUDS over the next few days to see what I can find, thanks for the suggestion
Since the Shield Boosters almost double shield strength, the military add-on probably does so again, as well as adding a boost to the recharge (just like the EEU).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
threepe
Competent
Competent

Post by threepe »

I've just started to play about with some new HUDs, and the Vimana X HUD suggests that my current shield strength is 300%. Not sure how accurate that is, but its the best set of mumbers I've had to go on so far.