YouTube playthroughs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: YouTube playthroughs

Post by phkb »

For the record, I've been finding your videos quite entertaining. In fact, it's been inspiring me to get back to actually playing the game, rather than just coding for it. Keep it up!
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

phkb wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:06 pm
For the record, I've been finding your videos quite entertaining. In fact, it's been inspiring me to get back to actually playing the game, rather than just coding for it. Keep it up!
Thank you!
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:14 pm
phkb wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:06 pm
Thank you!
Same here.

Although I had wished more airtime for OoliteStarter. ;-)
Yet, if it works it remains in the background as the gameplay continues to be Oolite.

Out of curiosity: Do you still use it?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:46 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:16 am
1) You repeatedly fail
I'm going to sit and think about my life choices during the Oolite hiatus (due to my Touch Portal working only over wifi and my wifi being messed up by my provider at the moment). :D

I've copied your post to a note file and I'm going to make a list of all the things I should get.
We each play the sort of game which we want to. In Oolite its easy - not only do we choose how our Jameson's act, but we also get to fine-tune the world in which they live.

As long as you are enjoying your game, that is all that matters. You need not spend hours researching the wiki. You need not spend hours agonising over this OXP rather than that OXP. Or even tweaking them.

Are you enjoying your game? If so, repeated failures in this or that area are irrelevant, no?

On another note, as a wiki editor, I find your approach very insightful because it is so different to mine. And you talk enough about why you do what you do so that I gain insight into another perspective.

So repeated failure to comprehend the F3 grab-bag of goodies is only a failure for you if you feel that it is.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:01 pm
arquebus wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:46 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:16 am
1) You repeatedly fail
[...]
So repeated failure to comprehend the F3 grab-bag of goodies is only a failure for you if you feel that it is.
I believe these failures come from there is no intended playbook - the videos are very natural and spontaneous.
Now if you tried Oolite yourself, and you also fail you'd feel comfortable.
Much different from seeing a maestro dock at coriolis using fuel injectors, then failing dismally when trying the very same...
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

hiran wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:17 pm
Out of curiosity: Do you still use it?
I test it with each version, but I have a stable expansion set that I don't change much so I haven't used all of the features casually in a while. I might see about making a fresh save with a different set and see how it feels now, and how well it works.
phkb

Post by phkb »

I've been playing through all your season 3 vids, and notice how often you complain about the targeting in Oolite. Actually, the targeting in Oolite is really simple. Point reticle at target. Hit "r" or "t". That's it.

The issue is that you've been fighting with Telescope. That's the root cause of all your targeting woes. While I'm in awe of the coding behind the mod, it is a seriously complicated beast. It also reworks what happens when you press "r", which is why you're hitting problems.

I guess I just wanted to make it clear that the issue is not with Oolite, but with Telescope.

Otherwise, can't wait for the next episode!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I disable the Telescope targeting (I hope that's what I do!) so that I'm using SniperLock instead. But I too have targeting problems.

But hopefully with the phkbian innovation of 613 fast activation buttons and a further rewrite of all the OXPs to incorporate them ("£$$%^$£%^" for inducing Telescopic Targeting), then these issues should fade into history.

Edited to add:
I've added a conflicts section into the Guide to Accuracy OXPs wiki page
Last edited by Cholmondely on Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I think part of your trouble with targeting is that Telescope has an "Auto Targeting Cone" setting which by default is set high. This means when you press R or T to target, Telescope auto locks onto the closest thing to you that it thinks you want to target rather than what is in your sights. This is why you quite often end up targeting the buoy when you want to target the station. If you go into the Telescope Settings on the F4 Screen and set the Auto Targeting Cone down to 1, then you will just target and lock onto whatever is in your sights. Then you can just press T to target and U to unarm, letting you select another target. You don't have the multi-target system yet so ATM you can only have one target at a time. For example when you were fighting the attacker who killed you at the end of the last video, you had targeted the space station. To have targeted your attacker you would have needed to press U to clear your current target allowing you to target the attacking ship. You might also want to add the auto-target system for combat. When you don't have any target selected, this will automatically target lock any ship attacking you. So if when attacked you press U to clear any target you have, the system will lock onto your attacker and you can then follow the arrow to find the ship attacking you.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Ok, I definitely have to tweak the Telescope settings, then, because that is my single biggest frustration! (The second biggest is not understanding why I can sometimes get docking clearance with just the compass targeting the station, and other times I need a target lock, and I can't figure out what's different.)
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Ok, a basic question:

What is T?

The reference sheet says "missile target seek."

Does that mean it seeks a target for missiles to lock onto?
Or does it seek a missile to target?
Or does it target what's in the reticle?
How exactly does T differ from R?

I think the inclusion of the word "missile" here is what's throwing me off. I target things for reasons other than shooting them.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:25 pm
Ok, a basic question:

What is T?

The reference sheet says "missile target seek."

Does that mean it seeks a target for missiles to lock onto?
Or does it seek a missile to target?
Or does it target what's in the reticle?
How exactly does T differ from R?

I think the inclusion of the word "missile" here is what's throwing me off. I target things for reasons other than shooting them.
It primes your (selected) missile to lock on to the first object which you target in the reticle.

The exact difference with R I'm unsure on.

Here is how cim describes it in the Ship's Manual (which is contextualised for your ship and your keyboard settings and I've not bothered editing it):

Combat with missiles
Missiles are expensive – especially the ECM-resistant “hardhead” missiles – and pylon space is strictly limited on most ships (your [commander_shipname] has space for only [ships_library_param_0]). They should therefore be used to supplement other weapon systems and are often most effective used defensively, to distract an aggressor long enough for you to flee. Nevertheless the missile warheads are quite substantial, capable of destroying smaller fighters outright, or seriously damaging larger ships.

Lock on your first missile before engaging in combat, so that it is ready to fire with a single control as soon as needed. If that target is destroyed by other means, or leaves scanner range, promptly re-lock the missile on to another target. You can save time here by purchasing a Multi-Targeting System, which will allow you to acquire separate locks with each pylon.

Combat flight
If you are travelling in space, sadly, you need to be prepared to engage in combat, even if just to run away. While the area around Cooperative stations is generally safe, in all but the best patrolled systems there are too few police craft to maintain an effective patrol even of the most direct witchpoint-planet route. Outside of a few common in-system routes, police are unlikely to be found at all.

The following controls are used in combat:
FIRE LASER: '[oolite_key_fire_lasers]' will fire the laser fitted to the current mount, provided that it is cool enough to do so safely.
TARGET MISSILE: '[oolite_key_target_missile]' will arm the currently select missile (the icon on the HUD turns yellow) and lock it on to the next target passing through your sights (the icon on the HUD turns red).
ARM MINE: '[oolite_key_target_missile]' will arm the currently selected mine (the icon on the HUD turns yellow)
UNTARGET MISSILE: '[oolite_key_untarget_missile]' will disarm the currently selected missile or mine
SELECT MISSILE: '[oolite_key_next_missile]' will select the next pylon to be used, which is useful if you have a range of different pylon equipment fitted
FIRE MISSILE: '[oolite_key_launch_missile]' will fire the currently locked missile at its target.
DROP MINE: '[oolite_key_launch_missile]' will drop the currently armed mine and start its detonation sequence. This can also be used to activate non-destructive pylon-mounted equipment.
ARM WEAPONS: '[oolite_key_weapons_online_toggle]' will arm your weapons if they have been previously “safed”
TARGET INCOMING MISSILE: '[oolite_key_target_incoming_missile]' will switch your target to a missile closing in on your ship.

Two other keys may also be useful in combat if your attackers are pirates after your cargo:
DUMP CARGO: '[oolite_key_dump_cargo]' will dump one container of the currently selected cargo type.
ROTATE CARGO: '[oolite_key_rotate_cargo]' will cycle through the types of cargo to dump next.
Dumping a few containers and then fleeing will often get pirates to chase the cargo rather than you - a sharp turn after dumping cargo to increase the distance is recommended.

Navigation
While in flight, you can use your identification system to scan nearby ships and other objects. Turn so that the object is centred in your current view, and then press '[oolite_key_ident_system]'. If you wish to scan another object, turn to face it and press '[oolite_key_ident_system]' again. If you wish to stop scanning, press '[oolite_key_untarget_missile]'. If you press '[oolite_key_ident_system]' while no object is currently centred and within scanner range, the identification computer will report on the first object which passes through the centre of your view.
Comments wanted:
phkb

Post by phkb »

"r" is the Ident system. Basically, targeting without a missile lock.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

phkb wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:34 pm
"r" is the Ident system. Basically, targeting without a missile lock.
Aha! That also explains why, when weapons are off, using R causes you to constantly retarget.

So basically if I adjust the Telescope's auto targeting cone to a really narrow band, the R/T key will stop behaving like a spoiled child?
phkb

Post by phkb »

arquebus wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:51 pm
Aha! That also explains why, when weapons are off, using R causes you to constantly retarget.

So basically if I adjust the Telescope's auto targeting cone to a really narrow band, the R/T key will stop behaving like a spoiled child?
Possibly. I don’t use Telescope in normal play myself, but I think that is correct.