Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

OXP Not Working :-/

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

OXP Not Working :-/

Post by Killer Wolf »

Hi all,

any suggestions for things i can check, something's probably staring me in the face...

just trying a new model, have created an OXP folder etc etc, put my spawn script in to create stuff when i launch, and i get nothing. Fiddled about, changed stuff, nothing. No errors in the log, OXP is listed there. tried spawning my Mk B, worked, so the script is still fine. have created a test listing for the ship parade/library, doesn't appear there either.

what can stop an OXP working, if there's no errors in the log?

TIA
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: OXP Not Working :-/

Post by phkb »

First: check the old "hold down shift while starting Oolite".
Next: Is the script file called "script.js", in the "Config" folder?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

yeah, had done all that thanks. did it again after a break and a slight advancement - script says it's generating my model for test, but i see nothiing when i launch. Still not listing in the Library either. changed the script to spawn when i exit Witch Space, same thing - says it's gennend them, but i see nothing on my radar; the script always gens stuff in radar range.
odd :-/
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Killer Wolf wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:32 pm
yeah, had done all that thanks. did it again after a break and a slight advancement - script says it's generating my model for test, but i see nothiing when i launch. Still not listing in the Library either. changed the script to spawn when i exit Witch Space, same thing - says it's gennend them, but i see nothing on my radar; the script always gens stuff in radar range.
odd :-/
Listing in your library needs a shiplibrary.plist.

Here's the one I wrote for my copy of your Hathor station:

Code: Select all

(
	{
		"ship" = "hathor"; //"Hathor Station" flubbed the dub
		"class" = "station";
		"summary" = "[oolite-ship-library-summary-SO]";
		"description" = "Hathors are wholesalers - dealing with bulk traders for supply and keeping prices low. They also provide simple but cheap rooms for pilots as well as cheap cafes, attracting pilots who come just to eat rather than trade. The range of goods is limited: they deal mainly in staples and essentials - exactly where many pilots make their living. Solid, safe, well equipped and self-sufficient, Hathors are situated near the system's sun, using their huge solar arrays to provide free power.";
	}
)
I found, as a dumb pilot, that getting the right "ship" definition is often a seeming exercise in black magic. But I was doing so for working OXPs where the rest of the OXP worked as it should.

And I think that dear old Phkb is referring to the need for individually named script.js's above - eg. HorrendousHathoristicHabitatoryHuguenots.js rather than just "script.js" where that script then enters a lottery as to which anonymously titled "script.js" ends up having any effect at all!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Is it techlevel restricted and are you launching from a lower techlevel system?

Sometimes a missing ; or " or {, } }; can be the culprit without triggering an error

Copy the new textures and model into an existing working ship oxp, replacing the texture en model names inside
the working shipdate.plist but do not copy anything from your new oxp plist...
startup and lookup

Is it 'findable' in the galleryl
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

cbr wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:25 pm
Is it techlevel restricted and are you launching from a lower techlevel system?

Sometimes a missing ; or " or {, } }; can be the culprit without triggering an error

Copy the new textures and model into an existing working ship oxp, replacing the texture en model names inside
the working shipdate.plist but do not copy anything from your new oxp plist...
startup and lookup

Is it 'findable' in the galleryl
Was not the OXP Verifier designed to report problems?
https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_h ... P_Verifier
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

thanks for all the replies, i'll try and eliminate some stuff tomorrow. i'm confused by the fact the game seems to accept it all [i have the shiplibrary plist etc, most of the stuff is copied from another working OXP] and the log says it's actually spawned something - but i can't see it and there's no stalks on the radar :-/
could a texture issue cause that? pretty sure i renamed everything ok, you usually get an obvious "not found" error if you misname something.
not sure the OXP Verifier will help much, given the above, i.e. that it OXP seems OK enough to be listed as added in the log, and seems to be working enough to spawn something.

whilst i'm here, quick diversion: textures ~ am i right in thinking Oolite doesn't accept transparency on a PNG? eg, it i had a plain plane i couldn't paint a chain-link fence on it or such like?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've had this happen, no ship spawning and nothing in the log, it usually turns out to be some sort of issue in shipdata.plist, usually an extra } or something, can be quite hard to track down.

Not sure what to suggest as the best way to rule out the ship .dat file being the issue, other than putting it into another oxp that you know works and just changing the model= line in shipdata.plist to match your problem ship filename, see if it spawns then, the textures will all be wrong but you'll know the dat is ok and the problem is somewhere in the .plist files of the problem oxp

No, oolite doesn't use the alpha channel in the png for transparency. Theres definately some sort of trick you can use to get a transparent polygon into the game though, eg the rings around some planets and i'm sure there's a station oxp with a transparent 'forcefield' in front of the bay, not sure what oxp though, but that sort of cleverness suggests it's by svengali or maybe thargoid?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

thanks Griff.
i managed to spawn my object...kinda. bits were missing - not sure if that's a fault or they flew off; they were subents, and i had mistyped the NullAI, and there were lines in the log suggesting the item had spawned as a trader etc. Will investigate.

EDIT; panic over, model is now appearing correctly. Onwards to the texturey stuff.
thanks for the help/suggestions, all :-)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Killer Wolf wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:32 pm
EDIT; panic over, model is now appearing correctly. Onwards to the texturey stuff.
thanks for the help/suggestions, all :-)
What was it? A missing angle bracket?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

I don't know, to be honest. i peered through the files to see if i could spot anything but nothing jumped out so i reverted to the old trick of starting from scratch, split the model back into subents, genned up each and it worked.

hitting another slight issue - i'm wanting to add in a conversion of an existing ship but it has multiple textures and Dat2ObjTex says to use Dat2Obj - i don, but the resulting model has nothing; gens up fine as OBJ and MAT but importing to brings a model w/ zero verts ~ is this a known problem?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Killer Wolf wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:39 am
I don't know, to be honest. i peered through the files to see if i could spot anything but nothing jumped out so i reverted to the old trick of starting from scratch, split the model back into subents, genned up each and it worked.
In such situations it can help to use version control. I am not sure about your background, but are you interested in using git?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

No, we use Git at work and it seems nothing but added complications. Don't really need a version control for what i do, i just occassionally stuff something up in plists. the odd thing this time was it appearing to be good enough for the game to accept and spawn from, which was odd.