Oolite Website Domain & Fixing the Expansions Manager

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Oolite Website Domain & Fixing the Expansions Manager

Post by phkb »

Do you need a new copy of the manifest DB?
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

phkb wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:46 am
Do you need a new copy of the manifest DB?
Thanks! But IMHO it will probably be useful to roll on the last dump before starting a new extension management system.
But there is one moment - no one knows how long the database server will be online...
It would be great if you could occasionally update dump on your pc, but only if it doesn't bother you.
Cobra MK III owner since 1994
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

timer wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:24 am
hiran wrote:
Question: how can we get these changes into https://oolite.space?
Do you really want to "deactivate" the original server and replace it with a new site WITHOUT a manifest editor?
The main manifest file will remain frozen until we develop a new way to change it...
If we consider the (missing) manifest editor a showstopper, what is the (un)maintainability of the site as whole?

Maybe we can compromise:
Switch the site to what is on Github, and on Github we can regularly import the manifest from the old server.
This would allow us to maintain the static pages while still the manifest editor from old oolite.org can be used.

Side question: Once we loose old oolite.org completely, who would have an up to date copy of the database?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
phkb

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:46 am
Side question: Once we loose old oolite.org completely, who would have an up to date copy of the database?
Took one about 30 minutes ago.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:15 am
Took one about 30 minutes ago.
So we have access! That is good.
Mind you, could I have a copy?
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

Maybe we can compromise:
Switch the site to what is on Github, and on Github we can regularly import the manifest from the old server.
This would allow us to maintain the static pages while still the manifest editor from old oolite.org can be used.
what about my proposal? at https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=290510#p290510
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

timer wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:16 pm
Maybe we can compromise:
what about my proposal? at https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=290510#p290510
I remember you mentioned that server previously, but when i investigated it was invisible to me.
With Github I hope to have some transpacency that I know to handle.

How would your proposal work? Who would have access? How would the data get merged?
phkb

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:57 pm
Mind you, could I have a copy?
Check your PM's.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Just for documentation purposes: here is the updated landscape

The missing actor is some unknown or presumably manual component that used to copy oolite-web into the webserver. It is no longer present today.
The two different flows for the websites oolite.space and oolite.site are visible. The old server that is bound to be decommissioned still exists and could vanish anytime.
Last edited by hiran on Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

hiran wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:29 pm
How would your proposal work?
NOW
oolite.space -> my proxy -> old origin oolite.org server
dev.oolite.space -> new site (CloudFlare Pages + GitHub oolite-web repo, branch "only-static")
oolite.site -> new site (CloudFlare Pages + GitHub oolite-web repo, branch "only-static")
api.oolite.space -> CloudFlare Worker named "api"

AFTER change DNS bindings and add one more subdomain, it would be:

oolite.space -> new site (CloudFlare Pages + GitHub oolite-web repo, branch "only-static") [production]
dev.oolite.space -> new site (CloudFlare Pages + GitHub oolite-web repo, branch "only-static-dev") [development]
api.oolite.space -> CloudFlare Workers
old.oolite.space -> my proxy -> old origin oolite.org server [temporary for editing manifest]
oolite.site - removed from using
Who would have access?
Where?
You have the same rights on CF as my own account under I working.
GitHub repo rights - you know what there
my proxy is nothing interesting
How would the data get merged?
If u asking about current OXP DB data from origin server - it would be transferred to CF D1 database and use by "api".
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

hiran wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:40 pm
I want to clarify: GitHub Pages are used ONLY for the only-media branch, for the only-static branch, the application from CloudFlare is connected by GitHub Apps and served by CloudFlare Pages named "oolite-web"
So, media content (images etc.) is served by GitHub servers, and site by CloudFlare servers

You can see it in CloudFlare dashboard at https://dash.cloudflare.com/1a6d9a3c82d ... -and-pages
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

timer wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:55 pm
hiran wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:40 pm
I want to clarify: GitHub Pages are used ONLY for the only-media branch, for the only-static branch, the application from CloudFlare is connected by GitHub Apps and served by CloudFlare Pages named "oolite-web"
So, media content (images etc.) is served by GitHub servers, and site by CloudFlare servers

You can see it in CloudFlare dashboard at https://dash.cloudflare.com/1a6d9a3c82d ... -and-pages
So then our landscape should be more like this:

And I am wondering: Would it be possible to take oolite.site and route manifest related requests to Timer's VPS?
If yes, then the same should be applicable for oolite.space?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

timer wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:43 pm
Who would have access?
Where?
You have the same rights on CF as my own account under I working.
GitHub repo rights - you know what there
my proxy is nothing interesting
I agree Cloudflare looks like I have enough privileges and just don't know how to use them.

In Github we do not have the same privileges. You can see and maintain the Cloudflare app whereas I cannot.

And your VPS is interesting as currently it hosts a copy of the website so that just the manifest editing stuff is performend on the old oolite.org server, but noone but you can bring in updates.
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

hiran wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:59 pm
I agree Cloudflare looks like I have enough privileges and just don't know how to use them.
explore it! ))
In Github we do not have the same privileges. You can see and maintain the Cloudflare app whereas I cannot.
I got the rights from @AC and I see the "Add people" button - IMHO I can give you an Admin rights like mine, I'm sure you know GitHub better than me and won't break anything, and two admins are more reliable! Agree?
And your VPS is interesting as currently it hosts a copy of the website so that just the manifest editing stuff is performend on the old oolite.org server, but noone but you can bring in updates.
Ooh no! It seems you misunderstand! There is not a single line of code and no database on my proxy server! Only Nginx is installed on it. My proxy server is just a relay of requests from you to the old server - the whole point of its work is that it can change the Host header in the request - it replaces it on oolite.org and forwards it to the old original server IP, because the original server cannot accept a request that has a different (not oolite.org) Host in the header, i.e. it’s just that you won’t be able to contact him by IP! But now no any DNS server will send you to it by the name of oolite.org. Thus, all my proxy does is pass your requests through itself by replacing one header and forward these requests to the IP of the original server. Well, it also caches the main manifest file every 15 minutes, simply by requesting it with a cron-task by wget.
In any case, if needed - we can use this vps in any way for Oolite development - we can set up both the code and the base on it (any forums/wiki/etc.), but again it will be someone's server ...

At this moment I try to use only two components for all architecture: GitHub + CloudFlare.

So, what about this? ) do?

Code: Select all

oolite.space     -> new site (CloudFlare Pages + GitHub oolite-web repo, branch "only-static") [production]
dev.oolite.space -> new site (CloudFlare Pages + GitHub oolite-web repo, branch "only-static-dev") [development]
api.oolite.space -> CloudFlare Workers
old.oolite.space -> my proxy -> old origin oolite.org server [temporary for editing manifest and for memories]
oolite.site - removed from using
phkb

Post by phkb »

Was just checking oolite.space, and on the home page, about halfway down, there's a link to "oolite.space/starting". However, each time I click on it it takes me to "oolite.org/starting", which is a 404 error. I can edit the url and successfully land on the right page, but I've tried on two systems (phone and Chromebook) and they both seem to be doing it. Is it just me?

Edit to add: this isn't the link in the side menu (which works), but the one in the body text.