Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[WIP - UPDATED (v0.8.2 19-Aug-23)] Oolite Interactive Map

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: [WIP - UPDATED (v0.8.0 21-Aug-23)] Oolite Interactive Map

Post by Cody »

PhantorGorth wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:39 am
After COVID I am not sure people would want it
Arrgh, the dreaded C-word! The latest variant of concern has been dubbed Eris. Are they sure?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Cody wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:33 am
PhantorGorth wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:26 am
Is it working now?
Mostly... still having problems when entering start/end system names manually.
I can do it on Pale Moon. There are changes meaning the first box is locked when you have a route and you will need to have none or have the start point only for it to be unlocked. (Consequently, It is fairly redundant now so I may just remove it and just use the one) Also to change it when it is unlocked you have to select enough of it (or all of it) and delete that so that there isn't a unique system for those letters, otherwise it just fills the rest in for you and it looks like it is locked.

Maybe I should change that so it doesn't fill the rest for you and shows the remains of the first on the list in grey and use tab to select it. Up and down arrows to work through the options.

Phantor Gorth
Last edited by PhantorGorth on Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

I am considering what else I could add.
  • Add Productivity - This in theory* ranges from 96 Mcr to 62480 Mcr and would need to be put in bins (e.g. 0-5K Mcr, 5-10K Mcr, 10-15K Mcr, 15-20K Mcr, 20-30 Mcr, 40-50 Mcr and 50 Mcr+)
  • Add Population - This in theory* ranges from 0.1 Billion to 7.1 Billion so should again be put in bins (e.g. <1 Bil, 1-2 Bil, 2-3 Bil, 3-4 Bil, 4-5 Bil, 5-6 Bil, 6 Bil+)
  • Add Radius - Not sure this is much use - This in theory* ranges from 2816 Km to 6911 Km. The bins could 2K-3K, 3K-4K, 4K-5K, 5K-6K, 6K+
  • Click on entries in the legend to filter the systems - filtered out systems would return to default blue or have a X icon or similar.
  • Click on systems under the map - in the route list to highlight that system or on systems in search list to select it.
  • Replace the systems with icons (e.g. species and Economy icons) - This would be Fill option only and Border shape would sit over it.
  • Replace the systems with Clym's icons that show many different values at once.
  • Allow users to edit line and systems (properties) colours.
  • Save Routes so you get the route you looked at last and to store them.
  • Place to add comments for missions and systems - I should see if the Filesystem API can let me save the data to a file.
  • Miss-jump planning.
  • Read the log and plot route you took and display information of interest
* Based on the theoretical ranges of the components of the calculation for those properties. This doesn't take into account that those components could be related to each other that could skew the value of those components ruling out some of the combinations.
Last edited by PhantorGorth on Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

PhantorGorth wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:34 am
[*] Add Radius - Not sure this is much use - This in theory* ranges from 2816 Km to 6911 Km. The bins could 2K-3K, 3K-4K, 4K-5K, 5K-6K, 6K+
This is very important for SW Economy. The agriculturals are either really agricultural or they are mining worlds, totally devoid of furs, etc.. The difference is mostly determined by the planet radius.

Sadly, Stranger was unable to get a different icon working for the mining worlds, so the only way of identifying them is by looking at the radius on the F7 screen.

But! he altered the radius of the main planets in his Habitable Planets OXP, so they are no longer the vanilla game values.

The sun type is also very important in Stranger's World. Your scoops can scoop his "Solar Wind Flux" if it is strong enough, even from the environs of the planet itself. On the other hand, everything you do costs fuel. So on a long jump (6.0ly+) I am looking at the piracy probability and the ability to refuel from the much more distant sun (based on the sun type) when deciding if I am going to go for it!

But! he altered the sun types too!

If you've not tried SW, you might like to give it a go. SWEconomy needs some TLC, but the rest of it is quite brilliant, creating a very different game from regular Oolite.

I like to add in Smugglers (if only it worked with New Cargoes!), Diplomancy and Weapon Laws. These all add in (to my mind) much more realistic complexity when planning routes.

Edited to add: Have you seen Phkb's GalCop Galactic Registry which does much of this in-game on the F4 docked screen?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:21 pm
[*] Add Radius - Not sure this is much use - This in theory* ranges from 2816 Km to 6911 Km. The bins could 2K-3K, 3K-4K, 4K-5K, 5K-6K, 6K+
This is very important for SW Economy. The agriculturals are either really agricultural or they are mining worlds, totally devoid of furs, etc.. The difference is mostly determined by the planet radius.

Sadly, Stranger was unable to get a different icon working for the mining worlds, so the only way of identifying them is by looking at the radius on the F7 screen.

But! he altered the radius of the main planets in his Habitable Planets OXP, so they are no longer the vanilla game values.

The sun type is also very important in Stranger's World. Your scoops can scoop his "Solar Wind Flux" if it is strong enough, even from the environs of the planet itself. On the other hand, everything you do costs fuel. So on a long jump (6.0ly+) I am looking at the piracy probability and the ability to refuel from the much more distant sun (based on the sun type) when deciding if I am going to go for it!

But! he altered the sun types too!

If you've not tried SW, you might like to give it a go. SWEconomy needs some TLC, but the rest of it is quite brilliant, creating a very different game from regular Oolite.

I like to add in Smugglers (if only it worked with New Cargoes!), Diplomancy and Weapon Laws. These all add in (to my mind) much more realistic complexity when planning routes.

Edited to add: Have you seen Phkb's GalCop Galactic Registry which does much of this in-game on the F4 docked screen?
OK, the issue here is that most of these are OXP based this means I would have to add a plugin method that modifies the map to allow you to display other information. Not out of the realms of possibility but would take a bit of work and that's before we start working on the plugins for each relevant OXP.

No I haven't looked at GalCop Galactic Registry but I took a look at the Wiki page. That is enough to get the idea, though. It seem limited in its own way but covers a few features I don't currently do. It seems to me its main downside is that you can only use it when docked though that may be ok. It begs the question if players use my map when flying or in dock only or both?

Phantor Gorth

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

PhantorGorth wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:45 pm
OK, the issue here is that most of these are OXP based this means I would have to add a plugin method that modifies the map to allow you to display other information. Not out of the realms of possibility but would take a bit of work and that's before we start working on the plugins for each relevant OXP.

No I haven't looked at GalCop Galactic Registry but I took a look at the Wiki page. That is enough to get the idea, though. It seem limited in its own way but covers a few features I don't currently do. It seems to me its main downside is that you can only use it when docked though that may be ok. It begs the question if players use my map when flying or in dock only or both?

Phantor Gorth
I can't speak for others.

I'm on a smallish laptop with just the one screen.

I use the F6/F7 screens the most. Then the Wiki, Phkb's html galaxy guide & his GalCop Galactic Registry.

Since I almost invariably load up Stranger's World (my only gaming without it is either the occasional strict game, or my foray back into v.1.77.1 to test out old oxps and try out Svengali's Vector mission), the F6/F7 & GalCop Galactic Registry tend to be the most accurate.

I'm currently in G7 and also have Assassins Guild loaded, which also affects the vanilla descriptions. And just before DGill started revamping Feudal States, I was pottering around G2 with Ionics loaded too.

I would expect to be using your updated spreadsheet when I eventually go back to v.1.77.1 and start playing around with Galaxy Seeds.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

I am considering what else I could add.
  • Add Productivity - This in theory* ranges from 96 Mcr to 62480 Mcr and would need to be put in bins (e.g. 0K-5K, 5K-10K, 10K-15K, 15K-20K, 20K-30K, 40K-50K and 50K+)
  • Add Population - This in theory* ranges from 0.1 Billion to 7.1 Billion so should again be put in bins (e.g. <1 Bil, 1-2 Bil, 2-3 Bil, 3-4 Bil, 4-5 Bil, 5-6 Bil, 6 Bil+)
  • Add Radius - Not sure this is much use - This in theory* ranges from 2816 Km to 6911 Km. The bins could 2K-3K, 3K-4K, 4K-5K, 5K-6K, 6K+
  • Click on entries in the legend to filter the systems - filtered out systems would return to default blue or have a X icon or similar.
  • Click on systems under the map - in the route list to highlight that system or on systems in search list to select it.
  • Replace the systems with icons (e.g. species and Economy icons) - This would be Fill option only and Border shape would sit over it.
  • Replace the systems with Clym's icons that show many different values at once.
  • Allow users to edit line and systems (properties) colours.
  • Save Routes so you get the route you looked at last and to store them.
  • Place to add comments for missions and systems - I should see if the Filesystem API can let me save the data to a file.
  • Miss-jump planning.
  • Read the log and plot route you took and display information of interest
* Based on the theoretical ranges of the components of the calculation for those properties. This doesn't take into account that those components could be related to each other that could skew the value of those components ruling out some of the combinations.
That is a very nice feature list, I personally use the maps to find the high tech level worlds...

Planet radius related to icon size...eh the other way around

Search_function based on tech level (and others) and then resize the related icon 200ish percent and show related intel inside it...
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP - UPDATED (v0.8.1 13-Aug-23)] Oolite Interactive Map

Post by PhantorGorth »

Update to Map:

Access the map here temporarily: http://www.pcooper.net/oolite2/OoliteIn ... veMap.html

Changes:
  1. Changed size of system when selected in Fill only to be the same as if you selected it in both Fill and Border.
  2. Added colouring options for Productivity, Population and Radius to both Fill and Border.
Phantor Gorth
Last edited by PhantorGorth on Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

cbr wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:16 pm
That is a very nice feature list,...
Thank you. :D

Planet radius related to icon size...eh the other way around
I had considered system size be proportional to radius. This is another dimension that could be used for productivity, population and maybe tech level too. So, that would need to be a new dropdown for size.

Search_function based on tech level (and others) and then resize the related icon 200ish percent and show related intel inside it...
A search function of all text and properties makes sense but I am not sure what you mean by resize and show related intel inside means (the image doesn't make it any clearer either).

Phantor Gorth

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Re: [WIP - UPDATED (v0.8.0 12-Aug-23)] Oolite Interactive Map

Post by Cholmondely »

PhantorGorth wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:44 pm
After 7 years I have made an update to my Oolite Interactive Map.
Added to the wiki page on Maps (see the Interactive Maps section)

And to your User:page

If you are still tweaking, then it might make sense to wait for the final version before adding screen shots.

But, whatever the case, please edit the wiki entries to death!
Comments wanted:
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

PhantorGorth wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:46 pm

A search function of all text and properties makes sense but I am not sure what you mean by resize and show related intel inside means (the image doesn't make it any clearer either).

Phantor Gorth
In that example I 'searched' for techlevel 11, the map enlargers the tech level 11 systems en shows info about it in this case a square,
i used random icons for info and production bars etc.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:42 pm

If you are still tweaking, then it might make sense to wait for the final version before adding screen shots.

I wish you hadn't done that. Once I have had enough feedback from people that link will disappear and the old one will be replaced. I did say that the link was temporary.

Phantor Gorth

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

PhantorGorth wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:00 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:42 pm

I wish you hadn't done that. Once I have had enough feedback from people that link will disappear and the old one will be replaced. I did say that the link was temporary.

Phantor Gorth
It is wiki. Nothing that is permanent. Edit it out if you prefer! You do still have your log-in, I presume. I can send you another if needed.
Comments wanted:
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

cbr wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:51 pm
PhantorGorth wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:46 pm

Phantor Gorth
In that example I 'searched' for techlevel 11, the map enlargers the tech level 11 systems en shows info about it in this case a square,
i used random icons for info and production bars etc.
Ok. I am not sure that is needed. It already has all the details provided when you hover your mouse over the system. If you are looking for more information let me know what extra you want and how that information is calculated (or where to go to get that info). I currently just calculate the standard system information.

If you are looking for an icon that provides most of that there is the icon used in ClymAngus's Vector Maps.
Example:
The Government type icon is the in the centre. The tech level is specified by the number of notches on the inside of the ring. The ring surround it is grey for Industrial economies and green for agricultural ones with the number and type of square or pointed protrusions determining the level (rich, average, poor or mainly). The name and other details are written around the ring.

I could have this icon appear on hover over in the system details box or instead (configurable).

(Without going into the details but I wrote code to create the basics of those vector map which was never used due to a spat between me and ClymAngus. I may be able to hunt and find it but it wouldn't be hard to recreate it.)

EDIT: I found it on a backup drive but it is XSLT creating SVG but I can convert that to JS.
Last edited by PhantorGorth on Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:09 pm
<snip />

It is wiki. Nothing that is permanent. Edit it out if you prefer! You do still have your log-in, I presume. I can send you another if needed.
I will need a new password I don't have a record of that one.