Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by Disembodied »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:17 am
The Final Eight in SpaceTown on Zaquesso from Cody's Coyote
The Final Eight definitely counts - that's three. Have a MBP for perseverance, and another for referencing the Ooniverse!

spud42 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:24 am
low hanging fruit possibly, Ten Forward in STTNG
No shame in grabbing low-hanging fruit - that's four. One more takes the shiny brass ring …
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Callahan's Place (and its successor The Place) in the Callahan's Crosstime Saloon series by Spider Robinson. Patrons include aliens, mutant talking dogs, time travellers, people from other dimensions, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callahan' ... ime_Saloon
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

ffutures wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:32 pm
Callahan's Place (and its successor The Place) in the Callahan's Crosstime Saloon series by Spider Robinson. Patrons include aliens, mutant talking dogs, time travellers, people from other dimensions, etc.

Callahan's Place certainly qualifies. That makes five, and the prize - over to you!
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Disembodied wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:47 am
ffutures wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:32 pm

Callahan's Place certainly qualifies. That makes five, and the prize - over to you!
OK, not up to anything too complicated seeing it's nearly 3 AM - let's have five SF characters who are pro or semi-pro journalists.

By pro I mean someone whose only or main source of income is journalism. By semi-pro I mean someone who is a part-time journalist in addition to another line of work or activity. Journalism can be anything that we currently recognize as journalism, or a new form of journalism that's established in the source material.

No two from the same universe and/or author. Bonus points for weirdness etc. and for characters who are NOT in Wikipedia's lists of fictional journalists etc.

For example, if we were allowing fantasy Rita Skeeter, from the Harry Potter books, would be a good pro journalist answer, working in print media. She would rule out all other characters from the Harry Potter series in all forms, and any other character created by J.K. Rowling.
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

In Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 we have Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani, the most "inconvenient" journalist (reporter) of them all (there are some more around, yes).
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Darwyn Alwyn in L.E. Modesitt's Octagonal Raven is a freelance media consultant who also produces journalistic documentaries ("edart pieces": vineyards, terraforming Venus, gates...).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Low-hanging fruit: Sarah-Jane Smith, from Doctor Who.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Jubal Harshaw.
Quote...
“Remind me,” Jubal said to her, “to write a popular article on the compulsive reading of news. The theme will be that most neuroses and some psychoses can be traced to the unnecessary and unhealthy habit of daily wallowing in the troubles and sins of five billion strangers. The title is ‘Gossip Unlimited’—no, make that ‘Gossip Gone Wild.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Commander_X wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:14 am
In Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 we have Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani, the most "inconvenient" journalist (reporter) of them all (there are some more around, yes).
That's a definite yes, and a meaningless bonus point for a wonderful example of a biased reporter who isn't on the list of fictional journalists.
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:55 am
Darwyn Alwyn in L.E. Modesitt's Octagonal Raven is a freelance media consultant who also produces journalistic documentaries ("edart pieces": vineyards, terraforming Venus, gates...).
That one works for me - and not in Wikipedia's list so that's an MBP.
Disembodied wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:44 am
Low-hanging fruit: Sarah-Jane Smith, from Doctor Who.
OK, that's a definite yes, but since it is rather low-hanging and in the list there's no MBP.
spud42 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:03 pm
Jubal Harshaw.
Quote...
“Remind me,” Jubal said to her, “to write a popular article on the compulsive reading of news. The theme will be that most neuroses and some psychoses can be traced to the unnecessary and unhealthy habit of daily wallowing in the troubles and sins of five billion strangers. The title is ‘Gossip Unlimited’—no, make that ‘Gossip Gone Wild.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
OK, there's actually someone much closer to mainstream journalism in this book, but Harshaw definitely counts - and have an MBP for the earliest example of a gonzo journalist I can think of in SF, and another for someone who isn't in the list.

Four down, one to go. And no more Mass Effect, Modesitt, Doctor Who, or Heinlein.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Nobody? It may be worth mentioning that a lot of the journalists on the Wikipedia list don't work in isolation - they have colleagues, rivals, etc, and some of them AREN'T on the list.
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

ffutures wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:58 pm
Nobody? It may be worth mentioning that a lot of the journalists on the Wikipedia list don't work in isolation - they have colleagues, rivals, etc, and some of them AREN'T on the list.
Just a second while I step into this here phone box, take off my disguise spectacles, and ... ohh a chalice! time for a quick refresher ... Arrrgh!

[Rockdoctor goes to sing with the Choir Litvinenko.]
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Nobody?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

We're all bouncing around in disguise spectacles...

Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

I think RockDoctor gave you your 5th....
a journalist the changes his disguise in a phone box/booth... lol its quite comic really....
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

With that cunning disguise I have no idea who you could possibly be talking about... Unless you want to give me an actual answer!

However.... if this is the universe I suspect it is, it may possibly have another journalist whose name is related to the secret identity of someone who posts to this very forum! Whose name and role are NOT mentioned on Wikipedia's list of fictional journalists!