Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

WebGL effort

Information, contacts and source code for ports to Linux, Windows, etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: WebGL effort

Post by Cholmondely »

0b1 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:37 pm
The commodities yaml is tiny compared to a ship mesh, and should load quickly (and in one go).

What system had you selected?
What browser/version were you using when you experienced the issue?
Are you able to F12 to open the debugger, go to 'console' and see if an error message is present?
Lave & Digebiti

Waterfox: G4.1.2.1 (64-bit) - I try to avoid updating as I always end up in a worse position. Oolite is the only software which reliably improves over time - everything else seems to be a disaster!

F12/console showed nothing, I'm afraid.

What would you like me to try next?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
0b1
Above Average
Above Average

Post by 0b1 »

I'll install waterfox and play with it a little, but because it's a non-mainstream browser, chances are it's behind the curve on W3C compliance.
I'm targeting the "big four" Chrome, Edge, Safari, and Firefox, because:
1. They have the funding to stay standards compliant and have all the latest features that the game will need to take advantage of
2. They all auto-update, so pretty much guaranteed to be the latest version, except for an astronomically tiny portion of their users
3. They dominate the market in browser use (>99.99%) and are available to anyone who wants to play the game

Having said that, it *could* be a small issue in Waterfox that a quick fix could take care of, so I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

0b1 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:14 pm
I'll install waterfox and play with it a little, but because it's a non-mainstream browser, chances are it's behind the curve on W3C compliance.
I'm targeting the "big four" Chrome, Edge, Safari, and Firefox, because:
1. They have the funding to stay standards compliant and have all the latest features that the game will need to take advantage of
2. They all auto-update, so pretty much guaranteed to be the latest version, except for an astronomically tiny portion of their users
3. They dominate the market in browser use (>99.99%) and are available to anyone who wants to play the game

Having said that, it *could* be a small issue in Waterfox that a quick fix could take care of, so I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Not a sensible use of your time. I use Waterfox, so I'm not going to update it. I also have Safari which I don't use and so am willing to update for you. I only got into Waterfox because Cody intimated to me that it was behind the curve, so to speak!

Primary Explanatory Grumble
Secondary Explanatory Grumble
etc
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

0b1 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:14 pm
play with it a little
How goes it?

Digebiti now comes up, I'm pleased to say!
Comments wanted:
0b1
Above Average
Above Average

Post by 0b1 »

Sorry my day job has become a day, night and weekend job!! I hope that will end in a week or two more and I can get back to this.
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

/ offtop mode on
0b1 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:16 am
Sorry my day job has become a day, night and weekend job!!
My friend, I've been in this situation for a couple of months now :(
We spend as much time on Oolite as we can afford )
0b1 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:16 am
I hope that will end in a week or two more and I can get back to this.
I'm afraid that I will have enough free time only in 1-2 months :(

/ offtop mode off
Cobra MK III owner since 1994
0b1
Above Average
Above Average

Post by 0b1 »

Well, I am back after several months of working virtually every hour for a gaming studio that taught me a lot.

When I put Obelite on hold, I was running into some planet generation issues, and some WebGL rendering oddness that was puzzling. WebGPU looked like a good solution, for some of these issues, particularly the availability of compute shaders for fast procedural generation. Since then I have performed a few experiments, and I think its time to port to WebGPU. Of course, only Chrome supports WebGPU at this time, but the other browsers and device WebViews are expected to follow suit long before I get done.

Hence I will be creating a WebGPU thread and posting more there.
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

0b1 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:40 am
Well, I am back after several months of working virtually every hour for a gaming studio that taught me a lot.
I'm really glad to see you again! )
0b1 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:40 am
When I put Obelite on hold, I was running into some planet generation issues, and some WebGL rendering oddness that was puzzling. WebGPU looked like a good solution, for some of these issues, particularly the availability of compute shaders for fast procedural generation. Since then I have performed a few experiments, and I think its time to port to WebGPU. Of course, only Chrome supports WebGPU at this time, but the other browsers and device WebViews are expected to follow suit long before I get done.

Hence I will be creating a WebGPU thread and posting more there.
in any case it will be interesting ;)
Cobra MK III owner since 1994