Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by Disembodied »

Commander_X wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:39 pm
An Ancient Peace by Tanya Huff, has three of them on the planet Abalae.
It's not one I know, but I'll accept it! That's two …
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Disembodied wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:10 pm
[...] It's not one I know [...]
If of any help, here's a good reason from the book on why space elevators will be a bad idea once space traveling kicks off:
"Landing fees are stupidly expensive on any planet with an elevator system and this one’s got three."

:mrgreen:
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Since nobody else seems to want to bite the bullet - The 1986 RPG 2300 AD (formerly Traveller 2300) from Game Designers Workshop had a space elevator from Gabon to Earth orbit and on at least one colony world in another solar system. They're mostly there as scenery but they have featured in a couple of adventures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2300_AD
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

ffutures wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:13 am
Since nobody else seems to want to bite the bullet - The 1986 RPG 2300 AD (formerly Traveller 2300) from Game Designers Workshop had a space elevator from Gabon to Earth orbit and on at least one colony world in another solar system. They're mostly there as scenery but they have featured in a couple of adventures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2300_AD
That'll do it! Over to you for the next round …
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK - we've done evil robots of various sorts a few times, let's have five examples of NICE robots, ones that genuinely do their best to be helpful. Meaningless bonus points for any example which shows this going horribly wrong WITHOUT the robot(s) turning evil... As usual no two from the same source, author, etc.

For example, if Dobby (Harry Potter) was a robot instead of a house elf - he's doing his best to be helpful and save Harry Potter's life, unfortunately his best involves repeated attempts to hurt Harry or get him into trouble so that he won't be killed by the big bad of the second book.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Once again swooping in to take a bite of the low hanging fruit my entry for this round is FORBIDDEN PLANET.

Please read the linked Wikipedia page in its entirety if you do not understand the near Universal appreciation of this film. It is a landmark for the genre and the inspiration for much of what followed. Better yet, find a way to see the film for yourself if you have never seen it or to view it again if you have, it is well worth the effort.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Nite Owl wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:59 pm
Once again swooping in to take a bite of the low hanging fruit my entry for this round is FORBIDDEN PLANET.

Please read the linked Wikipedia page in its entirety if you do not understand the near Universal appreciation of this film. It is a landmark for the genre and the inspiration for much of what followed. Better yet, find a way to see the film for yourself if you have never seen it or to view it again if you have, it is well worth the effort.
Robby definitely counts - a very helpful bot. No MBP because things don't go horribly wrong - not with Robby anyway.

That's one answer, four to go. For the remainder, let's have nothing else based on Shakespeare, and none of Robby's later appearances in Lost In Space and numerous other TV shows.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

The Bicentennial Man, movie with Robins Williams...
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Disembodied wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:23 pm
Ah, OK … how about three examples of space elevators in fiction
Totally off the spirit of the thread ... but could you implement a space elevator in Oolite?
I guess it would have to be a special type of station, anchored (somehow) to the scenery on the planet's surface.
But what properties would one have, which a regular station wouldn't have?

The entry tunnel would have to be at the opposite side to the planet, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

ffutures wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:02 pm
OK - we've done evil robots of various sorts a few times, let's have five examples of NICE robots, ones that genuinely do their best to be helpful.
Well, since low-hanging fruit haven't been squeezed to bring the poison level in the chalice to a hazardous level, I'll take another bite.
From Asimov's "Caves of Steel" series in the late 50s(?, -ish) through to The Good Doctor's late-in-life resuscitation of the "Foundation" universe, and hammering the two series together, the central character turns out to be robot R.Daneel Olivaw, working out and then trying to enact the "Zero'th Law" - which counts as trying to help, even if the various wars of the Galactic Empire, it's foundation, imposition of control and demise ... has anyone even tried to count the bodies to be laid at the feet of this attempt at helping?

Asimov got a name-check a few weeks ago on University Challenge. The youths in the hotseats didn't seem to know that his day job until the 1950s was as a biochemistry researcher. And I'm not just talking about the endochronic properties of triply-resublimated thiotimolene.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

RockDoctor wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:50 pm
Disembodied wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:23 pm
Ah, OK … how about three examples of space elevators in fiction
Totally off the spirit of the thread ... but could you implement a space elevator in Oolite?
I guess it would have to be a special type of station, anchored (somehow) to the scenery on the planet's surface.
But what properties would one have, which a regular station wouldn't have?

The entry tunnel would have to be at the opposite side to the planet, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I'd sneak a peak at Thargoid's Aquatics - load up and visit Aqualina/Ribiara in G3. And then when you've had a good gander, see what comes to mind...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

cbr wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:21 pm
The Bicentennial Man, movie with Robins Williams...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bicentennial_Man

Based on a long novelette by Isaac Asimov. Definitely counts, though again it doesn't have the irony that would have got you an MBP. Where's the collateral damage, peoples?
RockDoctor wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:02 pm
ffutures wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:02 pm
OK - we've done evil robots of various sorts a few times, let's have five examples of NICE robots, ones that genuinely do their best to be helpful.
Well, since low-hanging fruit haven't been squeezed to bring the poison level in the chalice to a hazardous level, I'll take another bite.
From Asimov's "Caves of Steel" series in the late 50s(?, -ish) through to The Good Doctor's late-in-life resuscitation of the "Foundation" universe, and hammering the two series together, the central character turns out to be robot R.Daneel Olivaw, working out and then trying to enact the "Zero'th Law" - which counts as trying to help, even if the various wars of the Galactic Empire, it's foundation, imposition of control and demise ... has anyone even tried to count the bodies to be laid at the feet of this attempt at helping?

Asimov got a name-check a few weeks ago on University Challenge. The youths in the hotseats didn't seem to know that his day job until the 1950s was as a biochemistry researcher. And I'm not just talking about the endochronic properties of triply-resublimated thiotimolene.
Unfortunately our last successful entrant was a film based on an Asimov story, so I'm going to have to disqualify this one. Better luck next time!

Three to go!
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

trying to avoid the most obvious low hanging fruit.....

Claptrap from the Borderlands games....
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

spud42 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:36 pm
trying to avoid the most obvious low hanging fruit.....

Claptrap from the Borderlands games....
I don't know the games and from the Wikipedia description Claptrap seems to be a combat droid of some sort, so maybe not quite the helpful chap we're looking for

"The Vault Hunters meet a CL4P-TP or "Claptrap" robot and a doctor named Zed who help them establish a reputation by killing several bandit leaders"

I was really looking for a robot that was helpful to everyone, and killing bandit leaders doesn't quite fit that. Also

"The game ends with the satellite sending a signal to a Claptrap robot on the planet, changing it into an "Interplanetary Ninja Assassin" (continued in the plot of the DLC Claptrap's New Robot Revolution)."

So I think I'm going to have to disallow this one unless you can give me a good reason to change my mind. Still three to go!
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

a bit of a read but https://borderlands.fandom.com/wiki/Claptrap

not intended as a combat robot but turned into one briefly... best known as an annoying sidekick.... but it all depends on which part of which game you judge by..

Happy to accept a no and will look further for an answer hanging higher in the tree.
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply