Unzipping problems

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Unzipping problems

Post by Cholmondely »

I'm having problems unzipping old oxp's on my AppleMac. Can anybody help?

*The "Dream Team" retextures from the bottom of the page here: https://daftworks.co.uk/elite/index.php ... _Downloads (Selezen, 2009?)
I want to see if their Adder had extendible wings as shown here!

*Most (but not all) of Tch's Roolite files from here: https://app.box.com/s/dyo1vedrxuyeyum3atci
I want to see what he did with the "Russian system" of Quorte

I currently get a warning from the AppleMac's "Archive Utility" which says:

Unable to expand "dreams01beta.zip" into "Desktop".
(Error -1 - Undefined error: 0.)
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Alnivel
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Unzipping problems

Post by Alnivel »

The dreams01beta.zip is corrupted, I tried to salvage what I could, but succeeded with only config files and 9 out of 16 models, and not with a single texture.

All Tch's archives open for me, but it seems there are problems with the encoding of the some filenames. Try how these repacked files will open for you - I unpacked them on Windows and packed back on Linux - it fixed the names.
Slartibartfast
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Slartibartfast »

hi
I unpacked them on Windows and packed back on Linux
unpacking on linux (with "ark") seems to work too :-)

... but only short test with "Tch_Station_Aegis_2.0.0_2014-01-08"

cheers
Oolite 1.91 / Imp. Trader ( slighly modified :wink: ) on Lubuntu 22.04 LTS on AMD64 2x 3800+ ,
ATI Radeon R7240 XFS / Samsung TV 40" 1080p
C-Media CMI8738 / Yamaha RX-V575 / DIY-Speaker
Logitech Attack3 & standard german keyboard
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Alnivel wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:36 pm
The dreams01beta.zip is corrupted, I tried to salvage what I could, but succeeded with only config files and 9 out of 16 models, and not with a single texture.

All Tch's archives open for me, but it seems there are problems with the encoding of the some filenames. Try how these repacked files will open for you - I unpacked them on Windows and packed back on Linux - it fixed the names.
Thank you for this. I hope it did not take you too long. Downloading now!

What do you think of Tch's oxp's - have you developed any sort of feel for what he is trying to do? Do you have any idea as to how good Tch's Gravitation.oxp is?

He and Stranger seem to have each developed a suite of much more realistic oxp's than we anglophones (UK/US/Australia) seem to want to bother ourselves with. Without much of an understanding of the relevant cultures (I've only read a smattering of the classic literature from each language), I would have expected our German speakers to have gone for this approach too. We anglophones seem to be more interested in having fun - and let reality go and hang itself! I wonder if this points up a difference in weltanschauung?

Hotrods
On the Hotrods front, I am starting to wonder if you might prefer to leave out the racing ships and rename it to something more relevant such as Pirates or Pirate gangs? ("hotrod" - term used in automotive engineering: a car with an engine that has been radically modified to produce increased power - typically for racing) This presumes, of course, that you can manage to get it to do what you wish! How is it coming along? Are you still enjoying the process of tweaking it - or has it become a chore?

LitF
LitF is coming along. ML's new version (0.07) will have more variants in text and Digebiti marked out with special encounters (people in sedan chairs!), plus whatever else he's added. He's hoping to show me how to write the text in javascript (it's not fair that he has to do all the hard work). I really like the "feel" of what he's been doing. It seems to me that LitF is getting more and more "realistic" and more and more immersive. Hurrah!

Sedan chair
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Alnivel
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Alnivel »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:35 am
What do you think of Tch's oxp's - have you developed any sort of feel for what he is trying to do? Do you have any idea as to how good Tch's Gravitation.oxp is?

He and Stranger seem to have each developed a suite of much more realistic oxp's than we anglophones (UK/US/Australia) seem to want to bother ourselves with. Without much of an understanding of the relevant cultures (I've only read a smattering of the classic literature from each language), I would have expected our German speakers to have gone for this approach too. We anglophones seem to be more interested in having fun - and let reality go and hang itself! I wonder if this points up a difference in weltanschauung?
I personally don't see the bringing realism as a one of the goals of his oxp's - I think that things like gravity or choosing a landing site rather all just came in handy in building a picture of his parallel universe 002. I must admit that it set just isn't my cup of tea - this a bit exaggerated "patriotism" (not the best word, but I can't come up with better) rather repels me, and the approach to implementation gravity is not for me either.

As for Gravitation.oxp itself - it does what it's supposed to do pretty well, the jitteriness of orbital flight annoys me quite a lot, but it should be considered a feature. Perhaps the biggest complaint will be the transition to orbital flight - for this you just need to turn off the engines above a certain height and that's it, the ship is instantly in orbit! To me, even with resignation to intentionally simplified gravity, it just doesn't make any sense.

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:35 am
Hotrods
On the Hotrods front, I am starting to wonder if you might prefer to leave out the racing ships and rename it to something more relevant such as Pirates or Pirate gangs? ("hotrod" - term used in automotive engineering: a car with an engine that has been radically modified to produce increased power - typically for racing) This presumes, of course, that you can manage to get it to do what you wish! How is it coming along? Are you still enjoying the process of tweaking it - or has it become a chore?
I've been hit with some unfinished business from the past (a couple of assignments that I was supposed to finish like a month ago), so unfortunately I haven't made much headway in this endeavor. But anyway, yes, most likely I will continue it as a new oxp.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Slartibartfast wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:53 pm
hi
Just to say - I've been doing hideous and unspeakable things to your wiki user: page
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Alnivel wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:34 pm
I've been hit with some unfinished business from the past
Congratulations on your successful work on the Tionisla Chronicle Array! You have a "pm"
Comments wanted: