Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

I'm back! New series starting

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I'm back! New series starting

Post by arquebus »

I'm starting season 3 of Oolite on YT. Hoping to keep expanding awareness! (That's literally why I started the channel.)

I'll probably have a ridiculous number of questions again. It's been a while since I played. Trying to catch up on a lot of the forum here!
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: I'm back! New series starting

Post by Cholmondely »

Expansions Manager list of oxz's

Under activities you have both Life in the Frontier and Life in the Frontier Revival installed. They clash!

Life in the Frontier (LitF) lets you explore the space station

Life in the Frontier Revival shows you a bulletin board (which probably clashes with the Bulletin Board system (miscellaneous))

Skilled NPC's (mechanics) makes the pirates much tougher to fight.

Weapon Laws (mechanics) makes it much tougher to upgrade your ship as you can now only do so in fewer systems (eg now only a handful of systems have the right politics and TL to sell you military lasers or Integrated Targeting Systems).

Here be Dragons (mechanics) wipes the map of information about all distant systems - including the handful selling the better equipment!

Flying Dutchman (missions) is lethal - exploding Quirium Cascade Mines which will nobble you if you don't inject away fast enough!

And you have included a list of über-ships (ships) which will be lethal if you meet the pirate versions!

Edit: I've struckthrough the comments which seem not to apply to you.
Last edited by Cholmondely on Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Looking forward to it. Been following your 7 Days to Die play-though and it got me into it. The latest version of Galactic Almanac (should) be compatible now with all OXZs (including planetary compass). Would you mind taking V0.9 for a playtest?
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:12 pm
I'm starting season 3 of Oolite on YT. Hoping to keep expanding awareness! (That's literally why I started the channel.)

I'll probably have a ridiculous number of questions again. It's been a while since I played. Trying to catch up on a lot of the forum here!
Questions:

1) Auto-Refuel Mod - this works automatically - no need to set anything whatsoever or turn it on! You have it installed, so every single jolly time you dock at a station/RockHermit, your ship will automatically refuel (unless you don't have enough dosh).

2) Clashes: So it seems tat my warning above about Life in the Frontier clashes were wrong - all the various options were shown on your F4 screen. When I did it, they clashed like billy-oh on my AppleMac!

3) Visas: you need them for Corporates (eg Zaonce), Dictatorships (eg Lave) & Commies.

Try going from Lave -> Zaonce -> Isinor (Confederacy, no visa) -> Tionisla (Democracy, no visa).

Trade between Tionisla & Isinor is a goodish milkrun and reasonably safe from pirates compared to the others in the vicinity. Isinor <-> Qutiri makes more dosh but is more dangerous. Especially with your installed überships & Skilled NPC's.

And don't forget your lethal Flying Dutchman!

Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

1 - yup, I had an inkling that was the case, and I checked right after I ended the recording. Good to know I wasn't completely confused! I do like using the refueling stations, though.
3 - I'll give that a go! I want to try to make a chunk of money early on so that I can actually start to do things other than trade for once!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:38 am
3 - I'll give that a go! I want to try to make a chunk of money early on so that I can actually start to do things other than trade for once!
If that is what you want, try spending all your money on cheap commodities. You only bought 10 textiles at Lave when you started. If you had bought 20, you would have made twice as much money. You only bought 2 computers at Zaonce, not 3. If you had bought 3, you would have made more money.

The only real difference that not "buying more" made, was that the fines were bigger when you docked illegally at Zaonce and then later at Lave. If you had had a fuller hold then the fines would have been smaller - and you would have made more profit - and maybe even have been able to afford your telescope by now!

Hints, by the way, works through the F4 screen when you are docked - Visit the Station Bar under "Activities". I'm not a programmer - the fact that it works at all is thanks to Phkb, Spara, Montana05 & Littlebear. And Massively Locked has been working on improving it. And our community pitched in to help improve it with more hints!
Comments wanted:
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:00 am
If that is what you want, try spending all your money on cheap commodities. You only bought 10 textiles at Lave when you started. If you had bought 20, you would have made twice as much money. You only bought 2 computers at Zaonce, not 3. If you had bought 3, you would have made more money.
I remember I used to get in trouble not having enough cash on hand, so that's just my trauma acting up ;)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Hoping to keep expanding awareness!
Five points.

1) You have fuel/cargo scoops, no?

In film 3:05 (25:59) your Telescope MFD shows a metal fragment about 6km behind you.
In film 3:06 (8 minutes in) our Telescope MFD shows 3 metal fragments about 7km behind you.
These are scoopable and can then be sold as alloys.

Again, if you go asteroid mining (with icesteroids.oxp loaded, the asteroid clumps are easier to spot)

1) you get 1₢ for each asteroid blasted (and often for each boulder, too).
2) there is a minimal improvement to your legal status
3) you have a small chance of generating rock splinters (=minerals) and alloys which can be scooped and sold. Mining lasers greatly improve the chance of generating mining materials.

Scooping takes time. With "GalCop Missions" oxp loaded you can buy a cargo stopper (30₢) which makes this easier. But choose clumps without the police/pirates!

2) Police. You keep on ignoring the police (purple on your scanner). You seem to prefer to fly straight towards them rather than avoid them, which should be easy with a working joystick! While you are an offender, they see you as target practice.

3) Telescope. You seem to have turned off "masslock borders" detection on your Telescope. In previous films you avoided much of the mass-locking because you had it turned on.
Either:
a) Check out your n/b-button options while Telescope is selected in flight (simpler)
or
b) Telescope Options while docked (more complex - found on the F4 screen under "Station Interfaces").

4) Spacelanes. You keep on staying in/veering towards the main spacelane between the witchpoint buoy and the main station. Maybe 80% of all the in-system traffic is here. This is where the pirates are. This is where the police are. This is where the masslocks are.

If you really want to avoid all this, you need to avoid steering directly for the main station. Fly at 90° to the planet for 10 seconds. Then run parallel to it until you get past the main station. Then turn around and head to it from the back side! This means that you are not behind the planet-facing side with the docking bay when you approach it!

5) ILS (50₢) will help docking when the police are shooting at you, and help stop crashing into the docking bay wall and losing cargo (but only if your docking request is accepted - eg you have a visa).
Comments wanted:
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:12 am
Hoping to keep expanding awareness!
Five points.

1) You have fuel/cargo scoops, no?

In film 3:05 (25:59) your Telescope MFD shows a metal fragment about 6km behind you.
In film 3:06 (8 minutes in) our Telescope MFD shows 3 metal fragments about 7km behind you.
These are scoopable and can then be sold as alloys.
Yeah, I was watching those go by and thinking...should I? It always takes way too long! Probably I just need to get better at it.

Scooping takes time. With "GalCop Missions" oxp loaded you can buy a cargo stopper (30₢) which makes this easier. But choose clumps without the police/pirates!
Ok that's what I need then.
3) Telescope. You seem to have turned off "masslock borders" detection on your Telescope. In previous films you avoided much of the mass-locking because you had it turned on.
Either:
a) Check out your n/b-button options while Telescope is selected in flight (simpler)
or
b) Telescope Options while docked (more complex - found on the F4 screen under "Station Interfaces").
I wasn't sure - I do have masslock borders appearing for some things and not others. I'll double check the settings.

4) Spacelanes. You keep on staying in/veering towards the main spacelane between the witchpoint buoy and the main station. Maybe 80% of all the in-system traffic is here. This is where the pirates are. This is where the police are. This is where the masslocks are.

If you really want to avoid all this, you need to avoid steering directly for the main station. Fly at 90° to the planet for 10 seconds. Then run parallel to it until you get past the main station. Then turn around and head to it from the back side! This means that you are not behind the planet-facing side with the docking bay when you approach it!
It's hit or miss for me, sometimes I remember to veer off, other times I'm too excited to see a green radar when I jump in that I forget to swerve.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Liners (looking at Season 3:20).

Excellent prices for luxuries, furs, Au, Pt & gems - but only bought in limited quantities.

I usually find them on the spacelane between the witchpoint buoy and the station.

I angle out from the buoy on arrival and head towards the sun side of the space lane so that the sunlight illuminates what is in the spacelane. Making sure that I am far enough away to escape mass-locking and to get a good angle to see the entire space-lane, I stare at the traffic through my port or starboard viewscreen looking for the liners. The ASL's are quite noticeable, even from a distance. I then zoom in and dock using my docking computer (NiteOwl showed me how to tweak Dockable OXPs to allow instant docking) - or ILS (which can be quite hairy!).

If I'm in a heavily industrial system I'll buy the luxuries on board as I they add to what I buy at the system stations (I visit them all to buy as many luxuries as possible) to sell at a good profit at agricultural systems. I'll also buy their radioactives to sell at the main station (if I have the space).

ASL (Emerald Liner) - dock at front:

TSK or TDK (Tigershark Liner) - dock at rear:
Comments wanted:
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Those are lovely! I'll see if I can stop off at a few on my trek to the eastern wilds.