Newcomer and Possible New Ships

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Jona
Above Average
Above Average

Re: Newcomer and Possible New Ships

Post by Jona »

spud42 wrote:
nice video. i mite see a problem with the mite......

thrust line is not on centre of mass line so unless the engine is more mass than the rest of the ship or its made out of ultra dense handvavium, that sucker is just gonna spin... lol
Go on ruin it for me :roll: More seriously this thought had crossed my mind, but why let physics get in the way of a fun design? In the ship description I'm making mention of complex computer control systems, minimal life support (so the centre of mass would be nearer the engine) and stabilizers and if it really annoys everyone it wouldn't be hard to add a stabilizer thruster to the model with it's own exhaust trail.

One interesting thing is that there is potentially similar problems with my other designs - the Narwhal for instance has the engines above the centre of mass - it's less obvious, but it is also interesting that when trying out the initial Mite design with an up-down configuration rather than a left-right layout it didn't seem to be as much of an issue for some reason ... although then getting the ship out through the hangar door caused all kinds of problems.

I'm still wondering about the death 'animations' to implement for ships (mainly because I am some way from causing the death of any ships!) - for the Mite having the ship go into a mad spin could be very appropriate.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

nah, just kidding. i like it as it is. its not like physics is a big deal in this game.. well Newtonian physics anyway.....

just explain it away as "thrust vectoring" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Jona wrote:
spud42 wrote:
nice video. i mite see a problem with the mite......

thrust line is not on centre of mass line so unless the engine is more mass than the rest of the ship or its made out of ultra dense handvavium, that sucker is just gonna spin... lol
Go on ruin it for me :roll: More seriously this thought had crossed my mind, but why let physics get in the way of a fun design?
Hah! Don't get me started on CoM and LoT issues.. I'm presently fighting with them in Kerbal Space Program! :evil:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Jona wrote: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:10 pm
Okay ... after clearing the cache, resetting my computer and reformatting my brain the Tiger Ray (formerly known as the Manta) is up and running in the game ...

I will set up a proper wiki page as soon as I have access, but please feel welcome to try the OXZ by clicking here.

Enjoy (I hope) and please give me feedback!
This ship looks rather impressive to this dumb pilot!

Here's Jona's lore (from up-thread):

The TigerRay interceptor was developed as a short range fighter intended to offer affordable protection to remote outposts or merchant convoys. Following several failed prototypes, Hamilton shipyards came up with a design that was accepted by several major customers including the Federal navy. The combination of placing all major systems near or on the ship's centre line along with integration of the manoeuvre thrusters at the tips of the TigerRay's 'wings' resulted in an extremely agile fighter ideal for small ship combat. The downside of the design is that the emphasis on speed and manoeuvrability comes at the cost of a limited, one hardpoint weapon load out, no cargo capacity and relatively limited armour. Despite this the TigerRay has become a popular choice for pirates where several ships can form wolfpacks and overwhelm larger prey before accompanying freighters carry off the stolen cargo.

A manifest.plist (needed for the .oxz to run - details nabbed from the .js file)

Code: Select all

{
	"identifier" = "oolite.oxp.Jona.TigerRay";
	"required_oolite_version" = "1.79";
	"title" = "TigerRay";
	"version" = "1.0 alpha 1";
	"category" = "Ambience";
	"description" = "Short range fighter developed by Hamilton shipyards";
	"author" = "Jona";
	"information_url" = "https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=229820#p229820";
	"license" = "CC BY-NC-SA 2";
}
A shiplibrary.plist (Jona's lengthy lore entered but commented out as it obscures the ship)

Code: Select all

(
	{
		ship = "TigerRay";
		class = "ship";
		summary = "oolite-ship-library-summary-LF";
		//description = "The TigerRay interceptor was developed as a short range fighter intended to offer affordable protection to remote outposts or merchant convoys. Following several failed prototypes, Hamilton shipyards came up with a design that was accepted by several major customers including the Federal navy. The combination of placing all major systems near or on the ship's centre line along with integration of the manoeuvre thrusters at the tips of the TigerRay's 'wings' resulted in an extremely agile fighter ideal for small ship combat. The downside of the design is that the emphasis on speed and manoeuvrability comes at the cost of a limited, one hardpoint weapon load out, no cargo capacity and relatively limited armour. Despite this the TigerRay has become a popular choice for pirates where several ships can form wolfpacks and overwhelm larger prey before accompanying freighters carry off the stolen cargo.";
	},
)
There are still issues with my AppleMac (latest.log):
11:46:58.618 [shipData.load.error] -[OOShipRegistry(OODataLoader) removeUnusableEntries:shipMode:] (OOShipRegistry.m:1014): ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "TigerRay-player" specifies no roles.
11:46:58.639 [plist.parse.failed] OOPropertyListFromData (OOPListParsing.m:72): Failed to parse /Users/accountname/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns/TigerRay.oxp/Config/shipyard.plist as a property list.

And from the AppleMac plutil's analysis of the Config/shipyard.plist:
Found non-key inside <dict> at line 21

There seem to be textures included for the pilot and his astrogation console!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?