ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by ffutures »

Nite Owl wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:44 am
Rick and Morty - Snakes in Space.

https://youtu.be/74oZIlMO218
Yep, that works for me, and you get the prize, plus an MBP because I like snakes. The venom-filled chalice is yours.

The hints I gave, and the answers I was thinking of:

Dolphins... in... SPAAAAAAAAACE! in a novel of interstellar war - David Brin's The Uplift War

Arthropods... in... SPAAAAAAAAACE! in a story of human and AI transcendence - Charles Stross, Lobsters in Accelerando which is now a free ebook, http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-st ... intro.html

Bears... in... SPAAAAAAAAACE! in several books and stories by a duo of writers - The Hoka series by Poul Anderson and Gordon R. Dickson.

Dogs... in... SPAAAAAAAAACE! in an Oscar-nominated cinematographic entertainment - A Grand Day Out, of course! Also (but without the Oscar nominations) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Buddies
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Been rereading a lot of my ancient paperback sci-fi anthologies lately. The kind with the yellowed pages, that old paper smell, and brittle paper so fragile that you have to be careful as you turn the page lest it comes free from the book's spine. Despite the description the anthology in question is not the original source for this short story that involves Time Travel and Hunting. The correct answer will give both the title of the piece and its author. This is an obscure one so Google will be your friend.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Is it Ray Bradbury's "A Sound of Thunder"?
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Close, but no cigar. The writer of this one is not as famous as Ray Bradbury but was equally prolific.

Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

The man who wanted to hunt had a lack of weight problem.

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

A Gun for Dinosaur by L. Sprague De Camp - the hunter can't handle the biggest anti-dinosaur gun's recoil, so has to go with a less powerful rifle. Another hunter on the expedition messes up, causing a T-Rex to attack the first hunter and kill him since his gun isn't powerful enough to stop the dinosaur. I think the surviving hunter is later killed by a time paradox while trying to cover up for his stupidity, or something of the sort.

Checks wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Gun_for_Dinosaur

More or less right - the other hunter is basically a trigger-happy idiot who makes a second trip to kill the hunting guide in the past and is thrown back to the present by the time paradox (dying in the process) since that never happened the first time around.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Not quite as obscure as originally thought. The Chalice is yours although you should be made aware of the Dinosaur drool that has accumulated in it during this round. Been told that it adds a slightly tangy taste to any Poison present. A good cleaning might be in order before the next round just to flush out the ancient saliva. The Poison itself will definitely return no matter the degree of disinfection.

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Heh! If it is poisonous anyways, why should it matter if it is drool-laden or not?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK... since I seem to be in the chair again, let's have five stories or other works (films, books, comics, whatever) with Dinosaurs.... In... SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!

Stories must be set in space or on alien worlds and feature dinosaurs or dinosaur-like creatures. No two by the same author, from the same film / TV show / comics universe, etc. MBPs for all the usual things.

Some hints to get you started

At least two examples need a Doctor's (or doctors) attention
One example is from a creator who has also worked with dragons.
One needs some assembly.
One is an example of American revisionism of a Communist plot.

LOTS more out there...
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

In Ken MacLeod's Engines of Light trilogy, 21st-century cosmonauts trigger a lightspeed engine and end up in the "Second Sphere", an area of space populated by creatures of Earth, including humans (at the bottom of the pecking order) and saurs - intelligent bipedal humanoid therapod dinosaurs, which evolved 65 million years ago (and who were partly responsible for triggering the Chicxulub asteroid which caused the mass extinction at the end of the Cretaceous). There are also starships piloted by hyperintelligent giant squid, known as krakens, but for the purposes of this question the saurs are the ones we're interested in.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Red Dwarf episodes 1 and 2 of Pete. Kryten uses a time wand on Birdmans sparrow , Pete ,reversing its evolution and turning it into a T-Rex . Birdman is promptly eaten, before Pete starts to chase the Dwarfers
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Disembodied wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:17 am
In Ken MacLeod's Engines of Light trilogy, 21st-century cosmonauts trigger a lightspeed engine and end up in the "Second Sphere", an area of space populated by creatures of Earth, including humans (at the bottom of the pecking order) and saurs - intelligent bipedal humanoid therapod dinosaurs, which evolved 65 million years ago (and who were partly responsible for triggering the Chicxulub asteroid which caused the mass extinction at the end of the Cretaceous). There are also starships piloted by hyperintelligent giant squid, known as krakens, but for the purposes of this question the saurs are the ones we're interested in.
That's one - and I'd completely forgotten it since I read the first of the series so have an MBP!
spud42 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:52 pm
Red Dwarf episodes 1 and 2 of Pete. Kryten uses a time wand on Birdmans sparrow , Pete ,reversing its evolution and turning it into a T-Rex . Birdman is promptly eaten, before Pete starts to chase the Dwarfers
Another good one - have a MBP because every good dinosaur story should have someone eaten!

Three to go, and so far none of the clues I gave have been used. Looking forward to more.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Did not want to be the first to answer once again so played the waiting game, but will, once again, pick the low hanging fruit.

DINOSAURS ON A SPACESHIP, Series 7, Episode 2, of Doctor Who.

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Nite Owl wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:26 pm
Did not want to be the first to answer once again so played the waiting game, but will, once again, pick the low hanging fruit.

DINOSAURS ON A SPACESHIP, Series 7, Episode 2, of Doctor Who.
Abso-fragging lutely, have an MBP for a story that corresponds to one of my clues:

At least two examples need a Doctor's (or doctors) attention - there is another work relevant to this clue, not involving Doctor Who.

Two to go, and no more Doctor Who or related stories (Torchwood, SJA, etc.)
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

One example is from a creator who has also worked with dragons.

Well this one is Anne McCaffery and the book , or books are Dinosaur Planet and the sequel Survivors.

I picked up a copy of Survivors from a thrift shop only to find it wes a sequel.Not going to read it till i find the first book.
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply