Science Fiction Trivia

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by Nite Owl »

Two novels were combined into a single film in 1961. The title of the film was the same as the title of one of the novels. Name the author and the titles of these two novels.

The correct answer must contain the titles of both novels and the author's name in one post.

MBPs awarded if you can name the two lead actors in the film before they are given as clues.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

First clue: The novels are early works in the genre.

Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Second clue: Both novels and the film have a Victorian setting.

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Victorian is the key to this one, it's got to be Verne, Wells, or something of the sort. Can't think of a Wells mashup of this sort but several of Verne's books were adapted to film, often using bits of two or more books. My first thought was 20K Leagues Under the Sea but it was filmed in the fifties. In Search of the Castaways was a little later and the title is wrong, it was published in three segments as The Children of Captain Grant with subtitles and the modern title is down to Disney - if anyone is interested it's on my web site here:

https://forgottenfutures.com/library/grant/grant.htm

That left Master Of The World, which is actually a mashup of two Verne books, Robur the Conqueror and its sequel Master of the World, and when I looked it up it did turn out to have been filmed in 1961. It starred Vincent Price and Charles Bronson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of ... 1961_film)

Image They don't make posters like that any more, you can't get the wood!
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

You Are Correct Sir!

Plus two MBPs for getting both of the starring actors in the film.

Vincent Price once stated that Robur was one of his favorite roles. The film also marked a turning point in the career of Charles Bronson. This was the first time he got to act as a romantic lead as opposed to the minor tough guy and thug roles he had in previous films.

The next question is all yours.

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK, this one won't be too difficult, I hope.

This actress played a military commander on Doctor Who, but is now most famous for playing someone (who is usually thought of as a child) in a fantasy setting. Her casting was considered controversial.

Name her!
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

ffutures wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:56 pm
OK, this one won't be too difficult, I hope.

This actress played a military commander on Doctor Who, but is now most famous for playing someone (who is usually thought of as a child) in a fantasy setting. Her casting was considered controversial.

Name her!
Sorry - that should be (who is usually thought of as a pre-teen or teenager), child sounds a bit too young.

Also, forgot to say that you need to name the actress and BOTH of the roles I described above.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Hint - the casting was not considered controversial because of sex (the character is canonically female) or age - the story was set a good while after the other stories.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Another hint - the plot of the fantasy story involves time travel, but so far as I know this character does not participate. In an earlier story in the same fantasy setting the younger version of the same character is a frequent time traveller.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Last clue - the casting was considered controversial on racial grounds, although the race of the character in the fantasy setting had never been stated.

If nobody can get it now I will be very surprised, and set another question in a day or two.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK, looks like there are no takers. You're going to kick yourselves, it really was pretty easy...

The actress in question was Noma Dumezweni, who played Captain Erisa Magambo in Doctor Who and the adult Hermione Granger in the first production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

Image Image

To quote Wikepedia: The casting of the black Dumezweni as Hermione sparked fervent discussion, to which J. K. Rowling responded that Hermione's skin was never specified as white.
Of course eight films in which she was portrayed as white might possibly have had something to do with that, but never mind!

The clue that was about the role said "The plot of the fantasy story involves time travel, but so far as I know this character does not participate. In an earlier story in the same fantasy setting the younger version of the same character is a frequent time traveller": Hermione time travelled repeatedly in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, so that she could attend more classes in school - The plot of Cursed Child involves time travel, but by the children of the protagonists of the books, and over a larger time span, Hermione does not appear to participate if the Wikipedia summary is complete.

I'll have to think about another question, probably tomorrow unless Mr. Brain comes up with something quickly.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

New question: Which famous fictional scientist and engineer is seen in silhouette below, and what are the dates of their first and most recent appearances? Meaningless bonus points possibly available for reasons I don't want to explain...

spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

thats too easy..lol i know who it is but not the first or last appearance.
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

The MBPs are because there's more than one possible date for the last appearance, depending on how much of a purist you are.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Even I recognise the image! Alas, no idea about dates.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?