Hosting site for oxz files

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Hosting site for oxz files

Post by spara »

About the old versions of the oxzs in the wiki. Is it preferable to leave the old version or should the old one be deleted when uploading a new version?
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

I vote to leave old versions for sure. There is no delete link so only the wiki owner can free up space on the disk if needed by deleting some large old oxzs, but until the space is not so important the old versions can help to debug or fork in an unpredictable situation.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I rather think that these (edited) posts belong in this thread:
Cholmondely wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:27 pm
RockDoctor wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:52 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:42 pm
I'm not suggesting that we do all of the ship oxp's - just the most popular ones.
Is there a mechanism for that to be known? I could see that the download statistics for each OXP could be known - but is there a mechanism for knowing which OXPs remain in use after their download?

Or is there a need for a straw poll - to answer the question of which ships are most popular amongst users of the forum.
... I believe that we are well and truly stuffed in this regard.
1) Even before considering your critique, the wiki download statistics stopped working some years ago and are thus outdated.
2) The more recent straw polls have evinced a paltry response (16-17 voters):
Survey: What is your Oolite playing style? & How did you start playing Oolite?
Cody wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:08 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:27 pm
... the wiki download statistics stopped working some years ago and are thus outdated.
And Box stopped showing download stats years ago too (in 2012). They've just recently stopped Updates, so one has no idea whether something has been downloaded at all. Probably different for paid accounts, I expect.
RockDoctor wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:45 pm
I am actually trying to help. Before my previous employer went "software only", from of a field staff of 60-odd users and several thousands client seats, I managed to generate a significant percentage of the company's bug reports just myself, and I only reported things I couldn't work around myself. Developers can't fix bugs they don't know about.

So, previous methods of monitoring have, for reasons variously internal to the project and external, failed. Problematic for all sorts of "prioritise" type questions. If usage stats for ships, stations, small furry Lavian OXPs etc are worthwhile (and this thread suggests they are), what available techniques would provide a reasonable sampling of usage?

Here's 0.02€ worth : modify the code that downloads the (updated) list of expansion packs so that it (optionally, user choice) uploads the contents of ... is it "latest.log" - the last loading log for the installation? to {some friendly location}. Then, the user has elected to have some internet traffic ; the log file is something people seem happy to upload here for debugging ; there might even be a sort-of-unique ID in the log ($ship_name+$commander_name).
How much other "junk" data would that generate? Are the contents of "latest.log" managed by SDL, Oolite code, or a witches brew of the two. In the latter case, would generating "stats.log" from the next (major) version of Oolite be useful, and what data would it need?

I wouldn't be surprised to find the topic has already been flogged to death several times over - but with hundreds of threads and tens of thousands of posts on the forum, I could get a lot older and still fail to find the threads.

A plan "B" - send all forum users a monthly email (I get these from all sorts of mailing lists on the 1st of the month ; probably everyone does), requesting they mail "latest.log" to {someone who is interested} who can parse them to produce whatever statistics are being requested from the "developers" sandpit. Whether that would attract a wider spread than the sesquidozen that other polling gets ... well, one can hope.
I'm also linking this to the Expansions Manager entry on the Wiki so it is findable in the future, in the hope it can be fixed!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:42 pm
I'm also linking this to the Expansions Manager entry on the Wiki so it is findable in the future, in the hope it can be fixed!
That seems a sensible connection to make.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")