Science Fiction Trivia

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by ffutures »

Another clue - the sequel to this film, set nine years later, was released fourteen years later.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

And another - the film has one sequel, the book of the film has three, the last set a millennium after the original story.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

2001: A Space Odyssey from Arthur C Clarke's book.
2010 , 2061 ( i will be 100 if i make this..lol) and 3001.

i have only seen the first movie and read the first book. never got round to the sequals...
it was the last clue that got me.
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

And we have a winner. You've got the date parts correct (In my opinion 2010 is an OK film though less thought-provoking than 2001, the later books are dire)

2001 was originally supposed to have a sound track by Alex North: while filming it Kubrik decided to go with classical composers instead, but didn't tell North, who was a bit annoyed at the premiere!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_S ... ey_(score)

In early drafts the aliens were black pyramids, not rectangular monoliths. One of the drafts (which I seem to recall was written more or less as a joke on Kubrik) had a scene in which there was a ticker-tape parade with pyramids as the celebrities. Source - The Lost Worlds of 2001 by Arthur C. Clarke, unfortunately I no longer own a copy so I can't check the exact details.
by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Worlds_of_2001

OK, have an MBP for putting me out of my misery, and a chalice - "oh my god, it's full of poison!"
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

thought i had an Arthur C Clarke folder in my ebook collection but alas im mistaken .So i cant look up that Lost Worlds reference.
i do have 2010 and 2061 that i may get around to reading one of these days.

so just after having a great night at a friends place and drinking too much home distilled whiskey.... as Michael Caine said at the end of "The Italian Job" hang on fellas i think ive got an idea....

give me 5 examples of "booze" made non commercially , i.e. moonshine, from Sci Fi.
usual rules 1 example per author/series/universe etc.....
1 answer per person per day. so no putting 3 answers up..lol
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Not sure if this counts because it isn't really vital to the plot, and the booze part isn't mentioned in Wikipedia's summary of the story:

In Heinlein's juvenile Starman Jones Sam Anderson, a hobo/con man scams his way aboard Jones' ship as a crewman - Jones can't give him away because Anderson helped him to get forged papers to get his job as a minor officer aboard the ship. Anderson soon blags his way to becoming master at arms, and later in the story it's mentioned that he and others have an illegal still running in (I think) one of the airlocks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starman_Jones
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

spud42 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:51 am
thought i had an Arthur C Clarke folder in my ebook collection but alas im mistaken .So i cant look up that Lost Worlds reference.
I too have an ACC folder in my e-book collection, but that does include "Lost Worlds". It's been a while since I read it, but a quick search shows that a low-numbered chapter is a copy of "The Sentinel", which was, IIRC what brought Kubrick to Clarke's door :
It had once been smooth-too smooth to be natural-but fading meteors had pitted and scored its surface through immeasurable eons. It had been leveled to support a glittering, roughly pyramidal structure, twice as high as a man, that was set in the rock like a gigantic, many-faceted jewel.
(American copy-editor, it seems)
i do have 2010 and 2061 that i may get around to reading one of these days.
I'm pretty sure I've read 2010 - before 2010, even! Not sure if I've read 2061 or 3001 either though.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

give me 5 examples of "booze" made non commercially , i.e. moonshine, from Sci Fi.
Further to ffuture's Heinleinism, I was thinking that the "Terrible Twins" in the "Family Stone" story (or wasn't it "The Rolling Stones" at one point?) tried running a still at some point. But I'm not minded to trawl through it again to check.

Contrary to popular imagery, I never once actually met a still on any of the seventy-odd oil installations I worked on. I suspect it's an urban myth, possibly imported (exported) from American "dry counties", or "dry" countries like KSA. And it more likely reflects life in the "compound" at base, rather than life on the actual rig site. It's not as if running a still is that difficult - it's brewing the beer (or wine) to feed it that needs search-resistant space.
I did suggest - several times - setting up a still, for shits & giggles, but nobody was bothered enough to go to the effort. Even when we were on 8+4 rotations.
It's not as if it's technically difficult to run a still. But unless your operating procedures are good, you're going to get fusel oils into the output, and they taste foul. There's a brand of Norwegian "akavit" which purports on it's label to be "fusel-frei", and that it sells well (in the Duty Free, naturally) speaks to the Norwegians' claim to have "a still in every summer house". I brought a half-bottle back - and it is indeed "fusel-frei". I think some of the bottle is still gracing Dad's drinks cupboard.
--
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

ffutures has got number 1. and that removes Heinlein from the table so sorry Rockdoc..

if i remember rightly the still was a vacume still.. freeze the water to seperate the ethonol...

4 to go. the still doesnt have to be central to the story. but more than just a passing reference.
OR i could go with
or simply
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

ok no one isinterested in this one so lets change the question and get this kick started again...

“As best we can estimate,” he
said, “this spacecraft crashed three hundred years ago.”

book title and Author please...
OR i could go with
or simply
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

clue. the ship crashed on earth in the pacific ocean.
OR i could go with
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

This rings a faint bell - not Lilo and Stitch, is it?
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

spud42 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:49 pm
clue. the ship crashed on earth in the pacific ocean.
That rings a faint bell from one of Charlie Stross's "Techno-necro-type" books - hacked about from the infamous manganese nodules cover story from the early 70s. But that's a not very SF-y branch of SF - and I don't have the book any more, so I can't check it.
--
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Sphere by Michael Crichton.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Night owl is correct.
the object with the nocious substance is in thy possesion sir...
OR i could go with
or simply