New ships under development

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: New ships under development

Post by Shipbuilder »

Thanks for the update Smivs. I look forward to testing it in game :-)
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

I thought that I'd share a design of a new Thargoid ship that I modelled earlier.

Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Looking good.
Don't like the sphere on top though.
Riding the Rocket!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

If the dome was wider (say, to the full width of the plinth) but the same height, giving it a flattened look, it might work better.

Nice job, Shipbuilder! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Kinda reminds me of the TARDIS console, in one of it's more elegant Victorian styled times (not the current junk).

Would agree with the others about the dome, at the moment it looks a little too symmetric I think (but a texture to your usual standard would probably fix that).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

It fits well with Redspear's recent designs. However, I have to say that I don't really like this look for a Thargoid. I always imagine Thargoids to be more organic than mechanic, and this design has clearly a mechanic look to it. It's a matter of taste, not a problem with the design as such.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

'Space Traders Flight Training Manual' wrote:
...These ships are extremely fast for their size and invariably have ECM Systems (this was originally a Thargoid invention to counter Navy missiles, subsequently copied by the Navy from captured Thargoid ships). Additionally, most Thargoid battle ships carry a few small remote- controlled ships, each equipped with a single pulse laser. It is rumored that the Galactic Navy are designing their own remote-controlled fighter, and will pay well for Thargoid ones to study.
I think (and I mean this in a good way) that it looks like the Navy had a go at replicating a Thargoid invasion ship. For that reason alone, it's already cool 8) ... I sense the possible beginnings of a mission... which I'm currently incapable of writing :P
I like the sides (outer edges) in particular.
Thargoid wrote:
Kinda reminds me of the TARDIS console, in one of it's more elegant Victorian styled times (not the current junk).
Yes, I can see that too :)
Thargoid wrote:
Would agree with the others about the dome, at the moment it looks a little too symmetric I think (but a texture to your usual standard would probably fix that).
Yep, I think a texture could transform that look considerably; symmetry can be natural and organic after all. At the moment we can see all the faces, so the dome stands out, wheras (depending on the texture) it might appear as a much more subtle feature in game... Perhaps it's where the omni-directional lasers fire from :twisted:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Nice job, Shipbuilder! 8)
Seconded... Thirded... Wherever we're up to :D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Redspear wrote:
'Space Traders Flight Training Manual' wrote:
...These ships are extremely fast for their size and invariably have ECM Systems (this was originally a Thargoid invention to counter Navy missiles, subsequently copied by the Navy from captured Thargoid ships). Additionally, most Thargoid battle ships carry a few small remote- controlled ships, each equipped with a single pulse laser. It is rumored that the Galactic Navy are designing their own remote-controlled fighter, and will pay well for Thargoid ones to study.
I think (and I mean this in a good way) that it looks like the Navy had a go at replicating a Thargoid invasion ship.
As that says, the Navy copied the ECM, not the Thargoid ship. It would probably be a big mistake to replicate a Thargoid ship.. wherever it went, everyone would instantly attack it purely on its' appearance alone.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

After some consideration I agree that the dome at the top of the Thargoid ship model I produced just doesn’t look right and have therefore removed it.

I think that I will have a go at applying a basic texture to get a feel for how the model could look in game.
It fits well with Redspear's recent designs. However, I have to say that I don't really like this look for a Thargoid. I always imagine Thargoids to be more organic than mechanic, and this design has clearly a mechanic look to it. It's a matter of taste, not a problem with the design as such.
Ok well the symmetrical approach I have taken was based on my take on a insectoid hive style construction for example the honeycomb bee hive principle. I can however see what you mean with regard to a mechanical appearance.

Personally I haven’t come to a conclusion whether or not I imagine Thargoid ships to be mechanical or organic however I do like the idea. Perhaps the application of a suitable texture may bridge the gap and give the initial mechanical appearance a more organic look.

One thought would be something like the formations produced in the Alien films though how I apply this to a ship I will need to give some thought.

Anyway as noted above thanks to everyone who has offered their opinions al of which are very much appreciated :wink:

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

My OXPs currently under development

1) Lightning Mark 1 - Fast interceptor with good manoeuvrability and speed but no cargo capacity.

2) Siren Mark 1 - Multi use trading vessel with a 60T cargo capacity and reasonable manoeuvrability and speed.

3) Gorgon Class Freighter - A 160T cargo freighter with limited speed and manoeuvrability.

4) Mantis Scout Ship - Mixed use vessel but limited cargo capacity.

5) Apache Class Heavy Freighter - A 200T freighter with limited manoeuvrability and speed but armed with 2 plasma turrets in addition to the usual 4 gun mounts.

6) A range of Turrets for use on various sized ships and stations.

7) A Fuel Tanker.
Shipbuilder wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:07 pm
I thought that I would post some pictures of a concept passenger ship I have been playing around with.

Shipbuilder wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:07 pm
Following recent discussions I have put together the 1, 2 and 3 tank versions of this ship.

Shipbuilder wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:14 pm
A couple of other, more spherical, designs including an Oolite take on Pleb's giant boob nipple gun :lol:
Turret 3

Turret 4
Shipbuilder: if you see this, is there any chance that you might release some of your finished work (or even your part finished work) to the Oolite community?

Cholmondely
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?