Science Fiction Trivia

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by spud42 »

lets explore this concept a bit... answer with a qusetion...

SCi Fi trivia for 100 please Alex ......

The replacement foot is less than satisfactory.
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

spud42 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:12 am
lets explore this concept a bit... answer with a qusetion...

SCi Fi trivia for 100 please Alex ......

Who is Nog, the Ferengi of Star Trek DS9 ?
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

spud42 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:12 am
Goodness gracious me! You poor, poor chap. What on earth have they been doing to you?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

sorry Old Murgh not correct.

Cholmondely seems to be answering by avoiding the right question... mmmm

clue :- not a TV series/show and to my limited knoweledge not a movie either.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

spud42 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:34 am
sorry Old Murgh not correct.
Ok, another go.

Who is Harry Harrison's Bill the Galactic Hero?
Feet. Feet of all sorts and shapes and sizes. A whole foot locker full of feet. There were feet that looked like standard issue Trooper's boots and there were feet that looked like running shoes and there were feet that looked like stainless steel wing-tips. There were even feet that looked like they came from all sorts of repulsive animals, like bowb-beavers and regurgibirds. There was even one that looked like that of a rusty robomule, just for sentiment's sake. Why there were even feet that looked like sports cars, and space ships, and the feet of some of Bill's favorite holo-cartoon characters. The foot locker was really a feetlocker, for it held every kind of foot you could think of, and some you couldn't, everything but real feet. They were all artificial feet. Bill's feet.
Feet had been a problem for a long time for Bill - ever since he'd been stuck on Veniola, the death planet, and had to shoot off his foot to get off that planet. In this man's war there was always a shortage of replacement feet. In the fullness of time he'd wound up with an elephant foot, a satyr foot, a mood foot - more feet than he could remember. Now he had even more feet than that, and all at once. He had finally given up even trying to get a real human foot for a replacement: a shiny socket now sprang from his truncated ankle.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Jepordy! we have a winner..

Your turn Sir...
OR i could go with
or simply
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

spud42 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:04 pm
Your turn Sir...
Yay. Reverting to visual trivia:

Two RL people who (arguably) made the transition to "sci-fi characters". Their names, The works they appear in.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Top and bottom left (and possibly middle left) are portrayals of Gene Krantz, Apollo 13 mission control director. I think the one at the bottom is from the film Apollo 13, which means the actor is Ed Harris. No idea about any of the others, I'm just that crap at faces.
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

ffutures wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:40 pm
Top and bottom left (and possibly middle left) are portrayals of Gene Krantz, Apollo 13 mission control director. I think the one at the bottom is from the film Apollo 13, which means the actor is Ed Harris. No idea about any of the others, I'm just that crap at faces.
Not so crap that you're not on the right track.
Kranz is one of the two historic figures, indeed portrayed by Ed Harris in Apollo 13.

But 2 pts out of a potential 8 (or more) could possibly be improved upon.
Massively Locked
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Massively Locked »

Old Murgh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:23 pm
Two RL people who (arguably) made the transition to "sci-fi characters". Their names, The works they appear in.
Kyle Chandler in the upper right. Don't know the movie or his character. In the lower right... over on the right side it looks like Fred Ward who I think played Gus Grissom in The Right Stuff. If that's correct, then the one in the center would probably also be one of the Mercury 7. And as already mentioned- Ed Harris on the lower left.

That's all I've got.
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Massively Locked wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:15 pm
Kyle Chandler in the upper right. Don't know the movie or his character. In the lower right... over on the right side it looks like Fred Ward who I think played Gus Grissom in The Right Stuff. If that's correct, then the one in the center would probably also be one of the Mercury 7. And as already mentioned- Ed Harris on the lower left.

That's all I've got.
You're also on a promising track. Kyle Chandler does indeed portray this person covered on the three pics on the right. Fred Ward does not (as he is at the edge of the pic next to a less famous actor who has the role in question) but the correctly identified group in The Right Stuff should point to further answers.

Close to more but one point so far. (edit: ok, + 0.5 pt for eliminating Gus Grissom)

Hinty query: don't any of you watch the currently ongoing Apple+ series that moves these biopic characters firmly into the realm of sci-fi?
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

i think your answer is self evident. no we dont watch apple+..lol
OR i could go with
or simply
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

spud42 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:54 pm
i think your answer is self evident. no we dont watch apple+..lol
Lol, silly of me to ask, (though there does exist methods of sticking it to the man..)

So this means none of you have seen the preeminent series Slow Horses, the not-bad series See and Severance, the (for me) very disappointing Foundation, nor the pretty good sci-fi series from which the two middle pics is taken..
Massively Locked
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Massively Locked »

Old Murgh wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:38 pm
+ 0.5 pt for eliminating Gus Grissom
In that case, we can also eliminate John Glenn & Alan Shepard, played by Ed Harris & Scott Glenn. Back in the day when I wuz much less senile, I could rattle off the names of all 7 and the actors that portrayed them. <sigh> Now that I think about it, Lance Henriksen may have also played one of the 7.
Hinty query: don't any of you watch the currently ongoing Apple+ series that moves these biopic characters firmly into the realm of sci-fi?
Nope, not on Apple+ but that show does sound interesting.
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Massively Locked wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:51 pm
In that case, we can also eliminate John Glenn & Alan Shepard, played by Ed Harris & Scott Glenn. Back in the day when I wuz much less senile, I could rattle off the names of all 7 and the actors that portrayed them. <sigh> Now that I think about it, Lance Henriksen may have also played one of the 7.
And Dennis Quaid as Gordo.. Amazing cast. Not to mention Sam Shepard's super cool Chuck Yeager.. But the gentleman above I can't say I remember from anything else.

No, this RL individual's story is a little more complex than the run-of-the-mill astronauts.

Ok, proper hint, here he is portrayed by another actor I quite like.
Massively Locked wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:51 pm
Nope, not on Apple+ but that show does sound interesting.
It definitely has its moments. It's produced by Ronald D. Moore (who was behind Battlestar Galactica "The Superior remake").
Its premise: In an alternate timeline in 1969, Soviet cosmonaut Alexei Leonov becomes the first human to land on the Moon, which properly kicks off the space race..