Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by Old Murgh »

Cool insight.
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

and Nite Owl is the winner, i believe the robot was called Muffit II . but from memory i think he was just called Muffit by everyone.

Also a childhood favorite for me. i havent seen the new version and have no desire to. Stop remaking old shows and mostly ruining them.

Over to you Night Owl.
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

spud42 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:06 am
i havent seen the new version and have no desire to. Stop remaking old shows and mostly ruining them. .
I’m compelled to defend mid2000s BSG, —certainly the pilot miniseries and most of season 1— A good concept twist, some good characters and dialogue, a few good actors and one great one made this well above average sci-fi TV, and not the easy example to illustrate the depressing trend of useless remakes.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Old Murgh wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:31 am
I’m compelled to defend mid2000s BSG, —certainly the pilot miniseries and most of season 1— A good concept twist, some good characters and dialogue, a few good actors and one great one made this well above average sci-fi TV, and not the easy example to illustrate the depressing trend of useless remakes.
Agree totally. The rebooted BSG was quite amazing and ahead of its time. Excluding the final episode, which had a let's-pack-up-and-go feel to it, the rest of the series was really, really worth it. I am actually re-watching it these days with my nephew (the young generation needs to be educated).

Sorry for the off-topic, please carry on.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Name the writer who created the characters Stinky and Lulu in their own separate short stories. Deliberately kept vague to avoid the Google. Clues will follow if this proves to be too vague.

As to the Battlestar Galactica reboot, it was very well done and in many aspects was better than the original series. The original series just holds a special place for me personally due to the time and space of the moments.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Clue 1

Both novelettes first appeared in a sci-fi magazine in the mid to late 1950's. Still very vague but prior to typing this a Google search of the magazine name was done and, with some very minor digging, the answer became very obvious. The next clue, if needed, will be less vague, promise.

Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Nite Owl wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:47 pm
Deliberately kept vague to avoid the Google. Clues will follow if this proves to be too vague.
Sadly Google is the great spoiler, and it popped up as I was guessing (on the wrong author). I won't ruin it for others who play pure, but I would hope that in the end, an endorsement could be mentioned. I once just skimmed by this prolific author without taking a chance (probably not finding the AB narrator appealing) and would like any eventual not-to-be-missed recommendations.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK - this is a wild guess - H Beam Piper? I have a feeling that there are characters by these names (one of them in a story about a medium, no idea about the other one) but I really can't name the stories.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Sorry, not H Beam Piper.

Clue 2
Stinky is a beguiling, purring, tail-waving, skunk who is also a mechanical genius. Lulu is a lovelorn robot.

There is nothing wrong with finding the correct answers on Google and then posting them here. All my attempts at vagueness were trying to accomplish was to make that a bit more difficult as a default way to go. As for myself, the answers to most of the questions posted herein are found on Google and it then becomes my option as to post those answers or not. Read that as "Can a decently difficult responding question be found should the Chalice become mine". Alternatively "Is it worth the time spent doing a Google deep dive to find the correct answer."

In either case Google is our friend and we must obey its beatific algorithm. Wait... what... why did that get typed?

spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

have read som of this authors writings but not a lot. i did resort to google and come up with Clifford D. Simak
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Clifford D. Simak - You are correct sir. The next question is yours.

As far as recommendations go he is not one of my favorite science fiction writers as he tends to be a bit too "pulpy" for my tastes although he has won numerous awards for his work. The question came to mind as a well worn copy of one of his anthologies was rediscovered in my limited space library and the rereading began.

Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Nite Owl wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:50 pm
As far as recommendations go he is not one of my favorite science fiction writers as he tends to be a bit too "pulpy" for my tastes although he has won numerous awards for his work. The question came to mind as a well worn copy of one of his anthologies was rediscovered in my limited space library and the rereading began.
So, nothing quite in the must-not-miss category then. :wink:
Nite Owl wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:13 am
There is nothing wrong with finding the correct answers on Google and then posting them here. All my attempts at vagueness were trying to accomplish was to make that a bit more difficult as a default way to go. As for myself, the answers to most of the questions posted herein are found on Google and it then becomes my option as to post those answers or not. Read that as "Can a decently difficult responding question be found should the Chalice become mine". Alternatively "Is it worth the time spent doing a Google deep dive to find the correct answer."

In either case Google is our friend and we must obey its beatific algorithm. Wait... what... why did that get typed?
I'm certainly not above using the glorious GoogleTool [what!?] but not quickly, before seeing if there's a chance someone can pull something impressive out of their old brain. And then surely, the chalice is a sacred obligation.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

well as there seems to be only 3 or 4 of us keeping this thread alive, and no attempts were made . i caved and had to search ..

you might have to resort to google for this one..

Four"brothers" have their memories partiallywiped to remove knowledge of their talents. it goes wrong and they loose all of their memories.

Author and title. a few MBP added for the real name of the author using this pseudonym
OR i could go with
or simply
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Clue the First: the brothers are "nurtured separately by the current working class of intelligent apes " story is set in 2070's
OR i could go with
or simply
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Clue 2. British author, 1970's book.
OR i could go with
or simply