Iron Ass OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Iron Ass OXP

Post by Cholmondely »

1) Latest.log
The relevant oxp's if required are listed here

Code: Select all

13:18:24.946 [shipData.load.error] -[OOShipRegistry(OODataLoader) canonicalizeAndTagSubentities:] (OOShipRegistry.m:970): ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "relop_aspX_navy" has unresolved subentity relop_engineWT.
13:18:25.315 [shipData.load.error] -[OOShipRegistry(OODataLoader) removeUnusableEntries:shipMode:] (OOShipRegistry.m:1020): ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "relop_josher-player" specifies non-existent model "relop_josher.dat".
13:18:25.581 [shipData.load.error] -[OOShipRegistry(OODataLoader) removeUnusableEntries:shipMode:] (OOShipRegistry.m:1020): ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "relop_josher" specifies non-existent model "relop_josher.dat".
13:18:25.936 [shipData.load.shipyard.unknown] -[OOShipRegistry(OODataLoader) loadAndMergeShipyard:] (OOShipRegistry.m:879): ----- WARNING: the shipyard.plist entry "relop_josher-player" does not have a corresponding shipdata.plist entry, ignoring.
2) shiplibrary.plist

{
        class = ship;
        description = "The Navy Viper is the most common Naval fighter. Possibly not quite as fearsome as other craft in the Naval fleet, it remains a tough, reliable combatant.";
        ship = "relop_viper_navy";
        summary = "[oolite-ship-library-summary-NHF]";
    },
combatant - not combattant

and for relop_hoopy: pastime - not pasttime

3) I found a derelict Scrub, surrounded by just a handful of life-boats (full of individuals from other, different systems), booty and lots of pirates. I was able to dock with it (despite ILS repeatedly trying to send me to the wrong end of the ship). My requests for landing permission were refused without reason, but the dock let me in. The market worked despite its dereliction and I was able to buy some goodies. And then left.

What happened to the thousands of people on board? Where did they all go? Why did the landing bay work? And why did the markets work?

All-in-all a most bizarre experience.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Cool, sounds like murghy's law in action!
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Thank you for your argus-eyed inspection.
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:37 pm
1) Latest.log

13:18:24.946 [shipData.load.error] -[OOShipRegistry(OODataLoader) canonicalizeAndTagSubentities:] (OOShipRegistry.m:970): ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "relop_aspX_navy" has unresolved subentity relop_engineWT.
13:18:25.315 [shipData.load.error] -[OOShipRegistry(OODataLoader) removeUnusableEntries:shipMode:] (OOShipRegistry.m:1020): ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "relop_josher-player" specifies non-existent model "relop_josher.dat".
13:18:25.581 [shipData.load.error] -[OOShipRegistry(OODataLoader) removeUnusableEntries:shipMode:] (OOShipRegistry.m:1020): ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "relop_josher" specifies non-existent model "relop_josher.dat".
13:18:25.936 [shipData.load.shipyard.unknown] -[OOShipRegistry(OODataLoader) loadAndMergeShipyard:] (OOShipRegistry.m:879): ----- WARNING: the shipyard.plist entry "relop_josher-player" does not have a corresponding shipdata.plist entry, ignoring.
This mystifies a bit. I may have left in a dependency on a little object found in IAvol2 but if you didn't have it in, why would it ask for something from IAvol2?

The typos are mercifully easy to deal with at least but
3) I found a derelict Scrub, surrounded by just a handful of life-boats (full of individuals from other, different systems), booty and lots of pirates. I was able to dock with it (despite ILS repeatedly trying to send me to the wrong end of the ship). My requests for landing permission were refused without reason, but the dock let me in. The market worked despite its dereliction and I was able to buy some goodies. And then left.

What happened to the thousands of people on board? Where did they all go? Why did the landing bay work? And why did the markets work?

All-in-all a most bizarre experience.
This is very weird.
I hadn't tested with the ILS, I don't know what it uses to determine safe docking. I'll have to look at other rear-docking cases.

But the scene otherwise. The action was over at this point?
If the scrub had survived an attack and the defenders killed off the pirates, it would probably hover for a while (AI maybe not able to accept lost defense ships). The docking refusal sounds like my experiment to have them be reluctant or a bit slow (some times) but is foiled by the too-instant docking permission. So, the market should work as normal, but the overall experience must have been absurd.
cbr wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:42 pm
Cool, sounds like murghy's law in action!
These are end-times.
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

1) Latest.log
Ah!
I didn't think of that. IronAss_Vol3 actually of course! You need the updated one (b3) for the Navy Asp-X to appear.
You see, Aegidian's Asp-X was quite huge, and I initially thought I would respect that, but it made for a poor carrier-deployed docking fighter, so I shrunk it to the same size as regular Asps, which in turn called for smaller scale engines, which do not exist in your IA_vol.3b1, but in the b3..
This IA_vol3.b3 update ought to remove this error and possibly the josher mention since there is nothing wrong with mine, and I suspect a slight contagion. Please let me know what the next latestLog says.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Nothing in current latest.log, but I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Thank you for putting all the work and effort into these - they really add to my game.

More Musings:
1) Scrub: Ship names seem unlikely - they are randomly named by the Random Names oxp and there are no clan relevancies that I've yet seen.

2)BroadcastComms really ought to elicit appropriate responses from Scrubs, Missionaries, Refugee Adders, Boyracers etc.

3)Just visited a SLAPU (in Strangers World - so 15,000km from anywhere) and found 3 refugee adders and another waiting to launch according to Station Dock Control. Seems odd.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:20 am
Nothing in current latest.log, but I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Thank you for putting all the work and effort into these - they really add to my game.
Thanks for checking, and being open to enjoy the more oldskool side to life. :wink:
More Musings:
1) Scrub: Ship names seem unlikely - they are randomly named by the Random Names oxp and there are no clan relevancies that I've yet seen.

2)BroadcastComms really ought to elicit appropriate responses from Scrubs, Missionaries, Refugee Adders, Boyracers etc.
I agree, I would love to tap into randomshipnames and draw a from a custom pool of names. Likewise to equip those ships with unique responses for comms.. I have to learn more about how these oxps work.
3)Just visited a SLAPU (in Strangers World - so 15,000km from anywhere) and found 3 refugee adders and another waiting to launch according to Station Dock Control. Seems odd.
It’s odd, bus since for now they are role’d trader, they can pop be drawn into any oxp scenario that calls for it. Maybe it would be better if they had their own population script and left trader stuff alone.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:03 pm
Just visited a SLAPU (in Strangers World - so 15,000km from anywhere) and found 3 refugee adders and another waiting to launch according to Station Dock Control. Seems odd.
It’s odd, bus since for now they are role’d trader, they can pop be drawn into any oxp scenario that calls for it. Maybe it would be better if they had their own population script and left trader stuff alone.
I do think that a refugee script would make sense.

Also, to tie their appearance in with GNN news events, and then have droves leaving over time, fleeing to local systems, and maybe moving on as they are shooed away by the locals.

How would pirates interact with them? Presumably by forcing them to go to a local pirate base where they could be firstly fleeced and then sold as slaves...
Comments wanted:
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:17 pm
I do think that a refugee script would make sense.

Also, to tie their appearance in with GNN news events, and then have droves leaving over time, fleeing to local systems, and maybe moving on as they are shooed away by the locals.

How would pirates interact with them? Presumably by forcing them to go to a local pirate base where they could be firstly fleeced and then sold as slaves...
Improving their appearance is the easiest bit, making events based on scripting for the newsfeed is another future thing to look into.

They wouldn’t have much of value except for their weight in slaves, so yes hauling them away would be optimal for smart pirates.
Hmm. How to do..
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Re: Iron Ass Comms responses

Post by Old Murgh »

Would you maybe have a great example of an oxp that does this very successfully that I could study?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:03 pm
Would you maybe have a great example of an oxp that does this very successfully that I could study?
To the very best of my knowledge the only other OXPs which actually use Broadcast Comms are

1)Tionisla's TOGY - for getting information on the deceased for whom the memorial is a memorial (works really well on those malevolent moai monuments)
2)GalCop Missions - try a couple!

Thou, thy munifence, shalt be the very first since the August and Admirable Admiral himself to weave it into another OXP doing something else. Thou shall be blessed. Thy name will be shouted from the rooftops with huzzahs, hurrahs and harrumphs. I'd really better stop there

Comments wanted:
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:43 pm
To the very best of my knowledge the only other OXPs which actually use Broadcast Comms are

1)Tionisla's TOGY - for getting information on the deceased for whom the memorial is a memorial (works really well on those malevolent moai monuments)
2)GalCop Missions - try a couple!

Thou, thy munifence, shalt be the very first since the August and Admirable Admiral himself to weave it into another OXP doing something else. Thou shall be blessed. Thy name will be shouted from the rooftops with huzzahs, hurrahs and harrumphs. I'd really better stop there

You're really making that choir of angels and birds sing sweetly. On the scale of great motivational speeches, that was up there with Maximus Decimus.. I WILL go that mile! Or DIE trying! :D
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

This is now achieved with the help of smart and patient benefactors.
I would really like to do this, incorporate custom fluff for several of the character types for many response scenarios. but.. being essentially a pretender in programming, it looks rreally intricate.
Galcop Missions does so much more than this and doesn't provide the dim person's template I had hoped for. The BroadcastCommsMFD readme looks to provide a beautiful glossary/rosetta stone for applying it to other OXPs, but it is for the js literates. I need better self-confidence than I have now to begin to tackle it. You gave some good pep, but..
I know I said "die trying" but it seems I'm not made of that stuff :(
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Old Murgh wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:49 pm
I would really like to do this, incorporate custom fluff for several of the character types for many response scenarios. but.. being essentially a pretender in programming, it looks rreally intricate.
Hopefully not too intricate!

I think you've got your spawning functionality in the planetinfo.plist file. Because we then don't have a direct reference to a particular ship, we're going to need another way to pick them up. The worldScript event "shipSpawned" is probably the best option. The script file below needs to be referenced in "world-scripts.plist" in order for the worldscript events to trigger.

"use strict";
this.name = "myWorldScriptName"; // the name of your script, not necessarily the name of the file

this._bcc = null; // holds a reference to BCC

this.startUp = function() {
	// grab a reference to the bcc worldscript, if it's installed
	if (worldScripts.BroadcastCommsMFD) this._bcc = worldScripts.BroadcastCommsMFD;
	// if BCC isn't installed, remove our shipSpawned function, as it doesn't need to run
	if (!this._bcc) delete this.shipSpawned;
}

this.shipSpawned = function(ship) {
	// look for a ship with a particular primary role being spawned
	if (ship.primaryRole == "scrub") {
		// found one!
		this._bcc.$createMessage({
			messageName: "myScrubMessage_" + clock.adjustedSeconds, // a unique ID for this message
			displayText: "Transmit special message", // what to show in the BCC MFD
			messageText: "This is the message that will be transmitted", // the actual text of the transmission,
			ship: ship, // pass the reference to the ship that has just spawned
			transmittionTarget: "target", // this message is for a particular ship, not a general broadcast
			callbackFunction: this.$transmitCallback.bind(this, ship), // the function that is called once the player sends the message, and includes the ship reference as a parameter
			deleteOnTransmit: true, // true here means the message option will disappear from the BCC MFD after transmission
			delayCallback: 2, // number of seconds to wait after transmission before sending the reply
			hideOnConditionRed: false // false here means that the message option will always be available, regardless of any combat
		};
	}
}

this.$transmitCallback = function $transmitCallback(ship) {
	// we get here after the player has send the message, and after whatever delay was requested
	ship.commsMessage("This is the response to the message the player sent", player.ship);
}
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

phkb wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:39 am
Hopefully not too intricate!

I think you've got your spawning functionality in the planetinfo.plist file. Because we then don't have a direct reference to a particular ship, we're going to need another way to pick them up. The worldScript event "shipSpawned" is probably the best option. The script file below needs to be referenced in "world-scripts.plist" in order for the worldscript events to trigger.
Mm. I feel faith returning.
To start with, the xpat adder. I now have those guys spawned by a js populator in the template you've fleshed out for me. (I only use planetinfo spawning in my model appearance workbench and the Lave nativity scene.)
Assuming that won't make a big difference, I'll go forth and see how filling out this goes.
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

The method I’m using in the example should be agnostic when it comes to connecting to the ships you create, so it should be applicable to any arrangement.